Ohana Breakfast or Dinner

Minnie1986

Original Poster
We're doing a five night/six day stay next summer, and for our rest day, I thought we could try Ohana. None of us will have ever been there (me, 12, 15). I've heard people rave about both meals (Stitch and Lilo only come out for breakfast, right?), but I'd love you all's opinions on which is the better meal. We'll be using the DDP if that info helps any. Thanks!

LeighM

Personally, I think most of the breakfast table service meals are overpriced - but I also have a hard time paying $50 per adult for eggs, bacon, and waffles LOL. If the characters are important to you then it could be worth it but I would always chose 'Ohana dinner. I don't like how Disney has changed the dinner service but it's still a more unique dining experience than breakfast even if dinner doesn't have the characters. Because there's soooooo much food at 'Ohana dinner, I prefer to have an early, light breakfast that day and have an 'Ohana dinner reservation close to opening at 3:30 PM. It's more of a late lunch/early dinner and there's less wait for a table.

Marionnette

We're doing a five night/six day stay next summer, and for our rest day, I thought we could try Ohana. None of us will have ever been there (me, 12, 15). I've heard people rave about both meals (Stitch and Lilo only come out for breakfast, right?), but I'd love you all's opinions on which is the better meal. We'll be using the DDP if that info helps any. Thanks!
There are better restaurants on which to spend your dining credits but if unique character interaction is your focus, then go for the breakfast. There are no characters at dinner (and the last meal we had there -in 2021- was extremely bad).

Minnie1986

Original Poster
There are better restaurants on which to spend your dining credits but if unique character interaction is your focus, then go for the breakfast. There are no characters at dinner (and the last meal we had there -in 2021- was extremely bad).
What didn't you like about it on your last visit?

Basil of Baker Street

Personally, I think most of the breakfast table service meals are overpriced - but I also have a hard time paying $50 per adult for eggs, bacon, and waffles LOL. If the characters are important to you then it could be worth it but I would always chose 'Ohana dinner. I don't like how Disney has changed the dinner service but it's still a more unique dining experience than breakfast even if dinner doesn't have the characters. Because there's soooooo much food at 'Ohana dinner, I prefer to have an early, light breakfast that day and have an 'Ohana dinner reservation close to opening at 3:30 PM. It's more of a late lunch/early dinner and there's less wait for a table.
I feel the same way about breakfast. Breakfast isn't an event for us so it's just too easy to grab something on the go or eat in the room.

Marionnette

What didn't you like about it on your last visit?
The food was bland. The meat was over-done and tough. No peel-and-eat shrimp even though it was on the menu. Probably a supply chain issue that was left over from the pandemic. The pork dumpling filling was nicely seasoned but there was a weird oiliness to the dough. And the dipping sauce was replaced with tossing the dumplings in a different sauce that fell short on flavor. It's supposed to be a chili-garlic sauce. Not much heat from the chili and a little light on the garlic.

The famous noodles were back but they just didn't seem the same. We couldn't quite figure out exactly what was different but we all agreed that they just weren't as good as before.

We had 2 vegetarians with us and they should have gotten pita and hummus when the chicken wings were served for the rest of us, but it never arrived. We thought that maybe one of the assistant servers would bring them but they never showed up.

As far as the vegetarian entrée was concerned, the "chicken sausage" was a huge flop. Not every vegetarian misses meat, so it was not even tried by our vegetarians. I tasted it but the odd texture was a turn off. I was told that the roasted seasonal vegetables were hard in some areas and charred in others.

The highlight of the meal was the pineapple bread pudding, which tasted pretty much the same as it used to. We also enjoyed the bread and honey butter which were served at the start of the meal. Overall, the price was way too high for the quality of the meal and what felt like rushed service.

LeighM

The food was bland. The meat was over-done and tough. No peel-and-eat shrimp even though it was on the menu. Probably a supply chain issue that was left over from the pandemic. The pork dumpling filling was nicely seasoned but there was a weird oiliness to the dough. And the dipping sauce was replaced with tossing the dumplings in a different sauce that fell short on flavor. It's supposed to be a chili-garlic sauce. Not much heat from the chili and a little light on the garlic.

The famous noodles were back but they just didn't seem the same. We couldn't quite figure out exactly what was different but we all agreed that they just weren't as good as before.

We had 2 vegetarians with us and they should have gotten pita and hummus when the chicken wings were served for the rest of us, but it never arrived. We thought that maybe one of the assistant servers would bring them but they never showed up.

As far as the vegetarian entrée was concerned, the "chicken sausage" was a huge flop. Not every vegetarian misses meat, so it was not even tried by our vegetarians. I tasted it but the odd texture was a turn off. I was told that the roasted seasonal vegetables were hard in some areas and charred in others.

The highlight of the meal was the pineapple bread pudding, which tasted pretty much the same as it used to. We also enjoyed the bread and honey butter which were served at the start of the meal. Overall, the price was way too high for the quality of the meal and what felt like rushed service.

I think Disney has an issue with consistency. Our last trip was December 2021 and we had a totally different experience. All of the meats were cooked well although the cut of the steak was a little chewy. But all of the flavors were very good. We had shrimp and they asked us if we wanted more but by then we were more than full. The noodles tasted exactly the same, the salad and its dressing were different, the bread given at the start of the meal was different, the dumplings were the same, but the bread pudding tasted totally different than previous trips lol. What I disliked about the most about their dinner service post covid was that I preferred them going around to each table asking how much of whatever meats you wanted. I would skip the beef and mostly eat the shrimp and chicken. But with them bringing everything out at once, we didn't have time to tell them what we didn't want. Then felt obligated to eat as much as we could so that it wouldn't be wasted. They even brought us a cupcake and macarons for our anniversary. But, luckily, I never felt the rushed service that I've heard others mention. I wonder if it's because we always get such an early reservation.

Here are the pictures from our dinner in 2021:

PXL_20211212_213323621.jpg
PXL_20211212_213809851.jpg
PXL_20211212_214734699.jpg

PXL_20211212_215500766.jpg
PXL_20211212_214921919.jpg
PXL_20211212_222510146.jpg

Minnie1986

Original Poster
I think Disney has an issue with consistency. Our last trip was December 2021 and we had a totally different experience. All of the meats were cooked well although the cut of the steak was a little chewy. But all of the flavors were very good. We had shrimp and they asked us if we wanted more but by then we were more than full. The noodles tasted exactly the same, the salad and its dressing were different, the bread given at the start of the meal was different, the dumplings were the same, but the bread pudding tasted totally different than previous trips lol. What I disliked about the most about their dinner service post covid was that I preferred them going around to each table asking how much of whatever meats you wanted. I would skip the beef and mostly eat the shrimp and chicken. But with them bringing everything out at once, we didn't have time to tell them what we didn't want. Then felt obligated to eat as much as we could so that it wouldn't be wasted. They even brought us a cupcake and macarons for our anniversary. But, luckily, I never felt the rushed service that I've heard others mention. I wonder if it's because we always get such an early reservation.

Here are the pictures from our dinner in 2021:

View attachment 749812View attachment 749813 View attachment 749814

View attachment 749816 View attachment 749815 View attachment 749817
This is definitely true. I've had meals at some places that were fantastic; returned less than a year later and was wildly disappointed.

LeighM

This is definitely true. I've had meals at some places that were fantastic; returned less than a year later and was wildly disappointed.

I think that 'Ohana dinner is a dinner that you have to try at least once and have your fingers crossed that you picked a good day to go LOL. I've never once had a bad experience but, like I said, I try to go as early as possible. I recommended it to a friend with a large family and I was totally worried the entire time that they might go on a bad night. Luckily, they had a great experience and it's one they want to do every time they go. In fact, she even started doing 'Ohana nights at home :)

JIMINYCR

We prefer Dinner at Ohanas over breakfast. Having the DDP doesnt play into our choice. I like the food served in the evening over breakfast choices, which although is good, isnt exceptional enough to make it better choice.

Smiley/OCD

We’ve done both…the family all agree that for us, the breakfast was better. When we had our dinner, the steak was tough and the shrimp were overdone and chewy. The staff was also terrible…someone at another table dropped a whole skewer of shrimp on the floor and it sat there for a good 15 minutes with servers actually walking OVER it before someone eventually picked it up. Maybe a bad night? Don’t know, but it was a one and done for us.

Preemiemama

I agree with the PPs that inconsistent seems to describe this place well. We tend to have better luck at breakfast with food, but we also go later and have "brunch". Service doesn't seem as rushed then, either. Looking forward to finally having characters back for our trip in July!

Dinner has been much more hit-or-miss for us. I think they tend to play around with this menu a bit more to find ways to cut costs. As a PP said, the noodles don't seem the same. They are not bad, IMHO, but not the same. The cheese shrimp thing they tried just after reopening from the pandemic was atrocious, and the rolls seem to keep going through different phases where they want to try something "new" there. The bread pudding has also changed. It used to be more dense, I believe made from the same bread as breakfast (?) and paired with a caramel bananas foster sauce. Now it is not as dense, maybe a change in the bread used in the bread pudding, and paired with a typical caramel sauce. It's still good, but not as unique.

That said, I am sure I'll be trying to get a dinner reservation here for July as well!

NelleBelle

We did breakfast this last month and now that I’ve done it, it’s a one and done for me. We were seated next to the window overlooking the marina. Service was ok—nothing I’d rave about. Food was meh but probably par for character breakfasts. I certainly liked it better than Chef Mickey’s. I’ll likely be stoned for saying, but don’t know what all the fuss is about the pineapple coconut bread is. I found it dry and flavorless (but we live in HI and get much better sweet breads here). Best thing about the experience were the characters!

Had no desire for dinner, as a vegetarian. Even though they have options for vegetarians, it seemed over priced and frankly, not appetizing in the pics and videos I’ve seen. Much better options at Sebastian’s.

Minnie1986

Original Poster
We did breakfast this last month and now that I’ve done it, it’s a one and done for me. We were seated next to the window overlooking the marina. Service was ok—nothing I’d rave about. Food was meh but probably par for character breakfasts. I certainly liked it better than Chef Mickey’s. I’ll likely be stoned for saying, but don’t know what all the fuss is about the pineapple coconut bread is. I found it dry and flavorless (but we live in HI and get much better sweet breads here). Best thing about the experience were the characters!

Had no desire for dinner, as a vegetarian. Even though they have options for vegetarians, it seemed over priced and frankly, not appetizing in the pics and videos I’ve seen. Much better options at Sebastian’s.
Didn't even know that Sebastian's was a thing! Menu looks good.

NelleBelle

Didn't even know that Sebastian's was a thing! Menu looks good.
One of the best dinners we had (and for an all-you-care-to-eat, didn’t break the bank)! Best plant based meal I think I may have had, although we requested just the plant based option for the menu only since we’re vegetarian and eat dairy. That bread pudding dessert was out of this world!!

celticdog

Pick breakfast. We had dinner in July 2023 and the food was almost inedible. The steak was fatty and overcooked. The chicken thighs were dry and tasteless. The chicken wings were overcooked and dry while the skin was soft and slimy. How does one even do that? The noodles were cold. The dumplings were hard, dry and crunchy. The bread pudding was just there, nothing special. It was not the O'hana from pre-pandemic visits. Dinner is not worth the money, especially since they no longer have characters at dinner. Breakfast would be a better choice.

JohnD

I would pick Kona Cafe for breakfast over 'Ohana. Breakfast is overpriced for the character M&G with Stitch & Co. Dinner is also hit or miss. But if you pick dinner, schedule it during the MK fireworks and try to get a window seat.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom