Oh No! Disneyland Seoul?

jrriddle

Original Poster
Disney May Build Park Near Seoul

By Richard Verrier, Times Staff Writer

Looking to expand its global entertainment empire, Walt Disney Co. is sizing up South Korea for a possible theme park.

During the last several months, company executives have been in talks with government officials over a site south of Seoul, sources familiar with the matter said.

The proposal being discussed would involve something more modest than the 310-acre Disneyland opening later this year in Hong Kong. The Korean project would combine restaurants and shops with a smaller-scale version of a traditional Disney theme park.

Discussions are in the early stages, sources cautioned, with financing details yet to be addressed. Disney's foreign parks typically include substantial financial commitments by foreign governments and partners.

The company recently denied a newspaper report in South Korea that Disney had reached a deal on a nearly 800-acre site. Theme park chief Jay Rasulo reiterated in an interview this week that the company had no agreement, although he did call South Korea "a potentially attractive market."

Some industry observers are skeptical that Disney will move forward in South Korea anytime soon because Disney is preoccupied in nearby China. Disney plans to open its Hong Kong park in September. And it hopes to build a resort in Shanghai, where the company has been involved in lengthy talks for a park that would open after 2010.

Some longtime observers suggested that Disney might be using the South Korean talks as leverage to win concessions from Shanghai. Disney first signed a letter of intent 2 1/2 years ago in Shanghai, but no final deal has been struck.

"I would not be surprised if they are doing a little bit of gamesmanship," said Orlando, Fla.-based theme park consultant Bill Coan.

Disney successfully pitted government officials in Spain against their counterparts in France to win a host of lucrative concessions for building Euro Disney outside of Paris, which opened in 1992.

"They could be playing Korea off Shanghai," said Frank Stanek, former president of international business development for Universal Studios parks and resorts. "It's a logical extension of their historical practice."

The Burbank-based entertainment giant — which has 10 theme parks worldwide — has made international expansion a linchpin of its growth. Over the years, executives have talked about possibly expanding Disney's theme park network to areas as varied as Singapore, Australia, India and Latin America.

Hong Kong Disneyland is set to include a theme park and two hotels. Disney will manage the park and control 43% of the operation while contributing just a fraction of the cost — $314 million. For its part, the Hong Kong government is expected to invest $2.9 billion in the park and accompanying infrastructure.

Like China, South Korea represents a largely untapped market for Disney. Company icons such as Mickey Mouse are highly popular there.

Disney has made some inroads in South Korea with the Disney Channel and its publishing arm. The company is enticed by the nation's affluence and its population of about 50 million. South Korean theme parks also fare well; one of the 10 busiest parks in the world, owned by the Lotte retail chain, is in Seoul.

"I would look at this as a pretty strong market," Stanek said. "Korea has enough population and enough economic wealth to sustain a theme park."

Analysts said one drawback could be tensions caused by instability in neighboring North Korea. In addition, Seoul is not a major draw for international travelers, unlike Paris, Hong Kong and Shanghai.

Beyond that, some analysts said, Disney risks offending its partners in China and in Japan, where it operates two Tokyo parks, by adding another competitor to the region.

jrriddle

Original Poster
All of Asia is going to be a giant Disney resort soon. Japan, Hong Kong, either Shanghai or Korea. It's too much! India would be a better choice (IMHO).

"...a smaller-scale version of a traditional Disney theme park."
Smaller than HKDL? Is that possible? This is going too far! I've noticed no hotel either. Maybe Canada will get a mini-Disneyland at this rate.

I believe the author is on the right track. This is a negotiation ploy like Spain and France or Anaheim and Long Beach.

WDWGarden

jrriddle said:
All of Asia is going to be a giant Disney resort soon. Japan, Hong Kong, either Shanghai or Korea. It's too much! India would be a better choice (IMHO).

"...a smaller-scale version of a traditional Disney theme park."
Smaller than HKDL? Is that possible? This is going too far! I've noticed no hotel either. Maybe Canada will get a mini-Disneyland at this rate.

I believe the author is on the right track. This is a negotiation ploy like Spain and France or Anaheim and Long Beach.

jrriddle...it just says a smaller scale version of a trad. Disney park, not smaller scale than the latest Disney park. So just smaller than WDW or DL. Besides, anything smaller than HKDL would be microscopic, and that would just be silly... :lol:

I really like the theory in this article about Disney using Korea to manipuate Shanghai. Manipulation on that scale is pretty awesome...

jrriddle

Original Poster
WDWGarden said:
jrriddle...it just says a smaller scale version of a trad. Disney park, not smaller scale than the latest Disney park. So just smaller than WDW or DL. Besides, anything smaller than HKDL would be microscopic, and that would just be silly... :lol:

I really like the theory in this article about Disney using Korea to manipuate Shanghai. Manipulation on that scale is pretty awesome...

I hope you are right WDWG. Anything smaller would be silly.
I do recall on either Al or Jim Hill's site they had a quote from one of those nameless inside imagineering sources saying that "if you think HKDL is small wait until you see Shanghai's. A castle and a few spinners" Again I am paraphrasing the quote and please make note of who the sources are :rolleyes:
(and yet I continue to read them both everyday... :hammer: )

7L-WDW

By Castle are you referring to the Wall with the odd blue pointy things . I thought the Castle was the center piece the place of dreams . Its a bit of a shame when Space Mountain stands higher.
From that articale the land mass is twice the area of HK .

marchofthecards

Popping up like daisies!

Ok,

Is anyone scared that the prestigousness of travelling the world to see a Disney Theme Park is now turning into 'go to your local'. The Orient is a massive place and densely populated. However, the costs to travel to HK or TOKYO are not like flight prices for Europe-USA. I'm in the UK. I can choose to drive to Disneyland Paris (not recommended) via ferry, take the train thru the Euro Tunnel (3 hrs+) or fly (an hour) we have to expect some travelling. How lucky you people that live in Orlando, Anahiem and Paris and Tokyo, and Hong Kong and Shanghai and Korea and...........

It's getting like STARBUCKS!!!!

I agree Australia would maybe benefit, but they don't have the population, unless sheep and kangaroo's may attend.

Europe doesn't need another (at the moment). Such an American company as Disney wouldn't go down to well in Middle East at the mo, but I can't see them doing Disneyland Delhi either. They are clearly interested in populated areas and areas that is going to bring in the revenue. Tokyo gets about equal attendance to WDW (due to population) and is only half the size. Would be a sure winner if only Disney owned it all.

What about Disneyland Moscow? Another place like Paris that has rival castles so they would go all out to design an out of this world castle, but would save on snow making bills for the Christmas season. They have McDonalds already there, so they have already been introduced to junk food.

Well unless Disney are going to build one down the road from me, so I can go work there, I don't think we need any more! There are other ways to spread the magic! We shouldn't complain, it brings jobs and does further immense the country with Disney. Europe is so much more Disneyfied now with DLP opening certainly.

Have a good weekend!

Simes

jrriddle

Original Poster
marchofthecards said:
Ok,

Is anyone scared that the prestigousness of travelling the world to see a Disney Theme Park is now turning into 'go to your local'. The Orient is a massive place and densely populated. However, the costs to travel to HK or TOKYO are not like flight prices for Europe-USA. I'm in the UK. I can choose to drive to Disneyland Paris (not recommended) via ferry, take the train thru the Euro Tunnel (3 hrs+) or fly (an hour) we have to expect some travelling. How lucky you people that live in Orlando, Anahiem and Paris and Tokyo, and Hong Kong and Shanghai and Korea and...........

It's getting like STARBUCKS!!!!

I agree Australia would maybe benefit, but they don't have the population, unless sheep and kangaroo's may attend.

Europe doesn't need another (at the moment). Such an American company as Disney wouldn't go down to well in Middle East at the mo, but I can't see them doing Disneyland Delhi either. They are clearly interested in populated areas and areas that is going to bring in the revenue. Tokyo gets about equal attendance to WDW (due to population) and is only half the size. Would be a sure winner if only Disney owned it all.

What about Disneyland Moscow? Another place like Paris that has rival castles so they would go all out to design an out of this world castle, but would save on snow making bills for the Christmas season. They have McDonalds already there, so they have already been introduced to junk food.

Well unless Disney are going to build one down the road from me, so I can go work there, I don't think we need any more! There are other ways to spread the magic! We shouldn't complain, it brings jobs and does further immense the country with Disney. Europe is so much more Disneyfied now with DLP opening certainly.

Have a good weekend!

Simes

I agree that Europe doesn't need another resort until DLP eaches it's potential. Even then I think one for the region is enough. I LOVE DLP and I really want it to become what it was meant to be. It doesn't need compition from a Disneyland Germany or Spain or where ever.

The Middle East? I agree with you again. Mind you Dubailand looks like it had A LOT of potential. And they have the money to do it.

Moscow? Have to diagree with you there. The economy is in the toilet. The weather would be worse than France. Plus the potential of more political unrest. I would stay FAR away from Russia.

Everything that I've read points to both China and India becoming major economic forces in the next ten years right up there with the US.
With China getting one (maybe two) parks. It would make sense to look at India. There is now a Disney channel in India, Disney produced Indian movies being made. I think this is the way to go.

stitchcastle

Given the statistics that Korean theme parks are giving,South Korea has a proven attendance. For the past two years, Lotte World in South Korea had 8 million people visit it (#9 worldwide). Also, in 2003, Everland in South Korea was number 7 all time. Other parts of the world do not have this proven attendance, it makes total sense that they'd want to expand to Korea. Asia is a region where countries are so far apart (unlike europe) and all have different languages (not like the US), having a Disney park in Tokyo, China, and Korea wouldn't make all that much of a difference since the language are so different. It looks to me that they wanna go for the locals who are craving anything with mickey on it. Tokyo and Korea and Shanghai obviously would be built for the locals while it looks to me that Hong Kong is for the tourists and out-of towners. They don't have to compete agaisnt each other because of the different cultures to which they cater to.

Besides, Disney doesn't own the Tokyo parks so they couldn't care less if they give it more competition.

Another thing about the Asian market, unlike us here in the US these people have been starving for a "Disneyland". If you ask any normal urban kid in Asia, more often than not, they'd say that it is their dream to go to Disneyland someday. They aren't like France who despise everything that isn't french (don't flame me for this it's a joke of sorts...). Why do you think the tokyo parks have been so successful all these years?

jrriddle

Original Poster
stitchcastle said:
Besides, Disney doesn't own the Tokyo parks so they couldn't care less if they give it more competition.

They aren't like France who despise everything that isn't french (don't flame me for this it's a joke of sorts...).

Excellent point about the OLC. I didn't even think of that.

How dare you insult the French? Why I ought to...
Just kidding of course. :D

tomm4004

stitchcastle said:
Another thing about the Asian market, unlike us here in the US these people have been starving for a "Disneyland". If you ask any normal urban kid in Asia, more often than not, they'd say that it is their dream to go to Disneyland someday.
But they wouldn't be going to Disneyland. They'd be going to a miniature imitation. That's the sad part. Part of me hopes that HKDL tanks so Eisner won't build an MK on every corner like a fast food chain. It tarnishes the concept and makes it ordinary and commonplace. Once it gets like that, people no longer consider it something special that they have to go see. That's the irony. I'd like to visit the Taj Mahal. Maybe I'll wait and someone will build one here.

Number_6

I can just see the ad campaign for a South Korea park now:

"Coming in 2012... Disneyland will have Seoul!!!" Followed by some really jazzy sounding Asian-style music.

stitchcastle

Although it would tarnish the legacy of the original, it would be nice for the people of Seoul that they would have those Diseny "moments" in their own language :D Don't get me wrong though, I am against the Disney Parks becoming a franchise thing but at least more children will be reached by Disney magic who wouldn't be able to see it otherwise

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom