Official reason for wand removal

rcsnyder1

Original Poster
Sorry if this has been mentioned, but I couldn't find it. It seems that most people did not like the EPCOT wand. I actually liked it. Spaceship Earth looks kinda bare now and I liked how it linked EPCOT to Mickey. Can anyone tell me if Disney gave an official reason for the removal? Just curious.

Captain Hank

To my knowledge, no truly official reason was ever given, though I suspect that it was a combinatinon of aesthetics and the high cost of sending someone all the way to the top to replace the light bulbs.

kadesha

I loved the wand. I, too, liked how the wand linked Epcot to Mickey. That's one of the main reasons that many people disliked it though. I don't know of an official reason, I assumed it was because so many people hated it. The ones of us who like it are truly the minority.

islesgirl

I heard one of the reasons was because of universal opening the harry potter park and that a wands were too closely associated with harry potter and therefore universal. i dunno how true it is but that is one of the rumors i heard

Testtrack321

I heard one of the reasons was because of universal opening the harry potter park and that a wands were too closely associated with harry potter and therefore universal. i dunno how true it is but that is one of the rumors i heard

Not the reason at all.

Only somewhat-official-kind-of-read-imbetween-the-lines reason is that a.) it was only meant to be temporary and was given somewhat permanent status because Disney was cheap b.) the new Epcot VP is old skool and is turning Epcot back into what it used to be c.) it was ugly and gaudy in it's "EPCOT" variant.

a2grafix

Not the reason at all.

Only somewhat-official-kind-of-read-imbetween-the-lines reason is that a.) it was only meant to be temporary and was given somewhat permanent status because Disney was cheap b.) the new Epcot VP is old skool and is turning Epcot back into what it used to be c.) it was ugly and gaudy in it's "EPCOT" variant.

Yes, most likely since there is a certain retro-theming going on withing Future World at EPCOT Center.

jmvd20

Not the reason at all.

What about option D.) Siemens requested that WDW remove it while SSE was under refurb.

jmvd20

that could be true...maybe they said they would sponser the ride with more money if they removed the wand???

Someone who is usually very reliable has stated that Siemens dislike of the wand is what led to its premature demise. I have yet to see anyone in the know say otherwise so I think the statement is beleivable.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
The known bit was both parties (imagineering and siemens) wanted the wand gone - however, neither wanted to pay for it.

It came down, it is unknown officially who payed for it, but it did not come out of the budget for the rest of SSE.

Fantasmic

The offical reason... It sucked and was gawdy and horrid, and I hated it.

So glad it's gone, I just stood gawping at SSE just over a week ago saying "it's so beautiful" over and over again

Scooter

The offical reason... It sucked and was gawdy and horrid, and I hated it.

Why you may have "hated it", there are those of us who liked the wand and will miss it. This thread was about why the wand was taken down and the OP asked a legitimate question.

I doubt the reason was "It sucked" or because you "hated it"

There's no need to be rude.

DisneyPirate85

Not the reason at all.

So does that mean we get "Odessy" back?:lookaroun

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom