Not so great CBR visit 09/10-09/12

First off, this report is mostly negative. If you can't handle that STOP HERE- EXIT NOW,I will try to keep to the facts and explain my position. My wife baby and I arrive at the CBR at 4:15 Friday,checking in was great and fast. The guy at the desk makes the remark, your fridge is in the room as you requested and blah blah blah.Barbados building 12. We go to the room and neither key works. I drive back to the desk and he has a maintance cast member meet me at our room ( waited 20 minutes) sure enough my keys still don't work and he gives me 2 replacements. In the room there is no fridge and it smells dank and mildewy. I call the front desk and they say someone will come right out with a fridge and air freshner...no other rooms are currently available to switch. By now its almost 5 so we head to dinner, we go to DTD Marketplace and eat at Earl of sandwich,very good and I was excited to finally eat there. We walk around go back to the room about 7:30 to find still no fridge or deodorant. I call again and they send a guy with the fridge but he knows nothing about the deodorant. The room was in overall poor shape it was dirtier than most Disney hotels and EVERYTHING was more "worn" than I expect. The hotel is very empty. Maybe 10%-15% filled in my area but "no other rooms are available" that really started to bother me. Sit down to watch TV...the remote doesn't work. I take the batteries from my Sony digital camera(AA'S) and it works again. The TV barely plays it so grainy it was ridiculous but I couldn't call to get a new one because my baby had to get to sleep by 8 and I knew it would take longer than that for them to switch it. Saturday morning head to Publix to get a few things, picked up air freshner-FOR THE ROOM, soda, diapers,etc... go back to the room and get ready for a day at EPCOT. Before we left at 10 I called maintance and explained my TV needed to be replaced because it was very grainy. Went to Epcot had great time went back to the room to change at 4 o clock still no TV called again, the person I spoke to barely spoke English and I explained the TV must be replaced before 9 because we had a baby who could not be disturbed and who would be going to sleep as soon as we returned after illuminations. We went back to Epcot had a great time got back about 9:45 and guess what..........NO new TV, but there was a pack and play in the middle of the floor confirming the fact that the person I spoke to earlier had NO IDEA WHAT I WAS TALKING ABOUT. I couldn't wait for someone to fix the TV because the baby had to sleep. 2 nights with NO TV, I AM FURIOUS. Also we were awaken by the maid at 8:15, after 2 quick knocks she opened the door and luckily I had the door blocker on because she just full force opened it and would have seen me and my wife half naked. The slam stop of the door woke the baby and any hope I had of sleeping in til 9. I have stayed at CBR at least 10 times and I am so mad I am considering canceling my 7 day stay in November. .I hope this is not the way things are heading.

TURKEY

All of property has no rooms available for this weekend other than the Contemporary and the Grand Floridian.

WDW is being used as a staging area for Red Cross volunteers and preparing for Ivan evacuees.

CubbieMan

From What I have heard Carribean Beach is the worst reviewed hotel on Disney Property. I stayed there once when it 1st opened back in '89 and had a fine time...but from what I have heard things have really gone downhill since then. It is really showing it's age. I am staying at the Coronado Springs in October..I have never stayed there before...but I hear it is the best of the moderate..as long as you don't mind all the business men walking around in business suits..I'll let you know when I get back..:)

lamarvenoy

Original Poster
Hey TLB, I think you work mainly at POP but do you get around to the other resorts very often? What do you think of my complaints? Stuff happens, I know but so many problems in such a short time, and what about the declining attention to detail and overall hotel appearance? Are you seeing what I'm seeing. Help me out .

LadyDarling

I'm sorry to hear you had such a rough time at the hotel! I've stayed there 3 times and out of those three, only had 1 bad experience (they decided to rehab the parking lot 1/2 way through our stay and had to move us). In fact, we even got into a fender bender that was well handled. It wasn't our fault - an SUV at the gate was waiting to get in and decided the guy in front of him was taking too long. He didn't see our little rental Sunfire and backed into us, doing some decent damage to the hood, since his rear bumper went up and over it. The driver tried to talk to us, saying it was really only a scratch, not worth bringing up, etc. We just about believed him - afterall, it was our honeymoon and we didn't want any trouble, and it was about 1am, but the security gaurd saw it all and made the guy and us pull over. They security gaurds were great and dealt with it wonderfully - in fact, they had 2 little kids in their car who woke up in all the commotion. The security gaurd gave them each a beanie Disney toy to keep - Chip and Dale I think. The security gaurd also felt bad because he saw the "just married" on our car, and gave me a little beanie pegasus! How did he know I was hemming and hawwing over buying one for days! The security gaurds handled it so well, we were very impressed!

That all being said, I think next year we will try someplace else. We've had about the same service at the CBR as we did at the Allstar Music. I hear POR is wonderful so I think that's on our list! :)

wishiwere@wdw

We stayed there 2 years ago and never will again. Our first room stunk like smoke even though it was non-smoking. Then, the room we moved to smelled like mildew. We were going to live with it but quickly learned why it smelled. The AC didn't work! They moved us again and then our keys didn't work. Once they got the keys working for our room we couldn't get into the parks. They had to manually enter the PIN on our first time in a park and then we had to go back to the resort that night for yet another new set of keys.

I wrote WDW after we returned home and they did send me a refund of 10%. I was happy but still upset that our actual vacation didn't go so smoothly (it didn't ruin it of course!) Much like you, we had our 6month old baby along so moving room to room late at night when we first arrived was a major pain. They were kind about it but it still shouldn't have happened.

We always end up back at our favorite resort now. Dixie Landings...Port Orleans Riverside :)

Nicole

Just a tip for future hotel stays ANYWHERE, the maid service usually starts at 8:00, if you plan to sleep in AT ALL put the do not disturb sign on your door. I hang mine on there every night just in case.

Sorry you had a bad experience, I'm staying at the CBR in December and will hope to not get your room!

civileng68

Account Suspended
my situation

I loved CBR but will admit there were some things that bothered me that were not so much a CBR thing but a Disney thing that needs to be looked into.

First off, I asked for something to be in our room for our honeymoon to surprise my wife, but nothing.

Also my wife has Crohn's disease and has to sleep in after a busy previous day and sure enough 8:45 am came and they knocked 2 times (just like you said). In fact, the minute they knocked I got up to get the door but they started to come in before i could even get there. i was in my underwear and HIGHLY upset as I was just going to slightly open the door and stand to the side to say we're not up. We even had the "Do not disturb" on the door. They appologized and said "we didn't know anyone was here today". Then the next morning the same thing happened and on the first knock I RAN to the door and yelled "do not come in, we're sleeping!". I was highly upset.

I will say the Top Quality Service that I was told about was not to be seen.

RogueHabit

lamarvenoy, so sad to hear that you had a bad experience. We were at the CBR from the 17th-28th August and I have to say that our experience couldn't have been better.

Our room appeared to have been recently revamped. Everything was sparkling clean, the TV worked fine, though the remote was a little ropey. We even had a refridgerator, which it appears is now fitted as standard.

As far as maintainance goes, we only had one problem which was with the shower leaver jamming. We called down to housekeeping/maintainance and we had asomeonje out within 12 minutes who fixed the problem in less than 5 minutes.

I agree that housekeeping do knock and will open the door if you don't answer, but that's why the provide a do not disturb sign.......

Kadee

We've stayed at the CB before but will NEVER stay there again. I did not like it at all. There were so many things that were just horrible! The one good thing is that we were VERY close to the bus stop. I just LOVE POR and if we go with a moderate again, that is where we will stay.

RogueHabit

I have to say that I wasn't over impressed with the dining, but then we only used the counter dining, not the full restaurant. The POR counter dining is much better.

I guess everyone has their tastes though.

lamarvenoy

Original Poster
I always use the Do not disturb door lock blocker and it seems that is not a deterent. I was really mad about the overall experience. I spend thousands of dollars each year JUST in hotel fees at Disney a quick estimate is $7-10 k per year when dining ,tickets, junk are all added. I have no issue paying money when I know service is good and that is what I've come to expect. I would sum up my feelings in one word .... unappreciated. I take my leisure time very seriously and I spend that money in exchange for fantastic memories and quality family time. I could just as easily spend my money in Hawaii or Mexico or on a cruise (which I am doing in January). My friends and family make fun of me and think I'm crazy for going there so much but what people don't understand is that feeling I get while I'm there or even just thinking about it or being on this board is to me priceless. It is a legal drug that I can't get enough of,my family and I are a "Disney" family, and that is why this trip bothers me so much.

LadyDarling

I know what you mean about the "legal drug you can't get enough of"! People always ask me "aren't you tired of Disney yet?" Never! LOL I got to Disneyland about once every 6 weeks (or try to) with my annual pass and try to make the "pilgrimage" to WDW once a year (sometimes it's once every 2 years). People just don't get it - and I feel sorry for them! They don't understand why I was so bummed when we couldn't go to WDW this year. I put it this way: "If you could pinpoint the place where you were happiest, most relaxed, most fulfilled, with your loved ones around you- and you could relive that every year, once a year - but suddenly someone/thing tells you that you can't go, wouldn't you be disappointed?" Saddly, many people don't have a place like that, and I truly feel bad for them!

I'm sorry to hear about your trip. Maybe if you wrote and complained? I've never had trouble with the staff not respecting the do not disturbe sign in Disneyworld.

cru5h

Aw man, that sounds awful. If you wanted that kind of room you'd have stayed at the Travelodge or something huh? Sorry it stunk (no pun intended). Hope your next trip makes up for it!

nickcarraway

I'm sorry your experience was so bad. It's certainly not a fun way to spend your vacation. While I've never stayed at CBR, my mother and her friend stayed here a few years ago and were equally unimpressed. She also commented everything seemed worn and the customer service was not so great. As others have suggested, write a letter to Disney and let them know about the bad treatment.

pinkrose

I'm sorry you had such a bad experience. :( I've stayed at CBR once and will not do it again. I just wasn't impressed. POR is my fav and we've stayed there each visit since. I'm looking forward to trying POFQ in Feb.

saltmom1

I agree witih the counter service not being great. Don't waste your money on Shutter's either. The resort itself was great ! I do like POR food court way better , but I would stay at CBR anytime over POR. While both are nice, I think CBR is a class above POR. ( Not in category, just being a better resort. We had the opposite situation as lamarvenoy. When we checked in, we asked for 3 extra pillows and an extra blanket. By the time we got to our room 15 minutes later, they were there. The service was great everywhere. We only had 1 minor issue with housekeeping. The day before we left we went to DTD, so we stayed in the room later than usual and started packing. When the maid kocked on the door we just said that we were packing and would be out in about a half hour. She came back in 30 minutes and we were just finishing up and when she knocked, we told her 5 more minutes. She did not try to force open the door at all. On that day the maid also left the facecloth in the shape of a duck and signed the kids' autograph books. Every day their stuffed animals were arranged differently on the bed. What village did you stay in ? We stayed in Jamaica- 2 minutes from the bus stop and a very nice 5-7 minute walk to Old Port Royale. We stopped and watched the turtles along the way and made the walk very leisurely. Try CBR again. It sounds like you had bad timing, with Frances and all, and may have been a victim of circumstance. Maintenance wa probably very busy getting ready for the hurricane. I would stay there again in a heartbeat !

DisneyFanLS

Sorry...

So sorry to hear about your unpleasant experience at the CBR... :( we had thoughts of staying there at some point, but now after reading some of these posts, I think we may re-think our plans....thanks for the heads up!!!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom