Nostalgic future-Epcot

stelledelmare

Original Poster
Forgive me if this sort of thing has already been discussed. I was 4 (1994) years old during my first DW visit and I don't always remember much about the state of the parks around the mid to late 90s. I remember snippets of some attractions from Epcot such as Body Wars and Horizons. And I loved all those things. I for one am one of the people who enjoyed the old Spaceship Earth (during the time in which Jeremy Irons was the narrator). And I'm not a fan of the touch screen thing now. It's the only part of the refurb I don't like. I personally think it's too distracting and fun for about maybe 2 minutes. On the old one, I liked looking at what was around me near the end of the ride. I wasn't paying attention at all to my surroundings the last time because I was fiddling with the touch screen and I guess that's the idea but what about for those who don't want to use the screen. I remember reading that there was nothing to look at with the surroundings during that part and I didn't notice one way or the other the last time I was there. Anyone know if that's changed? But I love the nostalgic parts of Future World and the parts of Tomorrowland like seeing Progress City on TTA as well as CoP. I guess you could call those things sort of the "nostalgic future" because it was Walt's original idea of what the future would be. I always felt like Epcot should focus not on necessarily current technology but on really futuristic technology if that makes any sense. I guess the best way I can describe it is this way. Anyone remember those Tex Avery cartoons such as the "House of Tomorrow" and things like that? That's the kind of future I always thought that Future World should represent and I don't feel like it does (the last time I went was June of 2010). Maybe some would think it's a little too nostalgic. I guess maybe that's what they tried to do with the new interaticve part of Spaceship Earth but it just doesn't feel like the same effect. Thoughts?

Steve-B

I agree with most of what you say. My wife and I took our first WDW trip in 1986 when Walter Cronkite was the narrator for SE. I thought no one else could do as good a job, but I have to say I really liked the Jeremy Irons version better.

There are a few other things I'm nostalgic about from those days, but I would use up way too much room to discuss it all here.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom