NonDisney IPs that eventually could fit in Disney Parks

JaKnight

Original Poster
In the past, Disney had no problem adding external IPs to create great rides in their parks: Indy, Star Wars, Twilight Zone... Given the underperformance of their latest movies, what external IPs might interest the company? Which ones would fit into their parks? Fox's IPs are also valid, although it would seem very strange to see Ice Age or The Simpsons along side Mickey and friends.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Dont forget Barbie, Teenage Mutant Turtles, Aerosmith, Muppets, Star Wars, etc. Some of these IPs Disney has subsequently acquired after their appearance in Disneyworld, some they have not.

So I for one, ignore the so called "Disney purists" as that ship sailed many moons ago.

Robbiem

James Bond would be a good fit at the studios. Classic Hollywood IP. Maybe a cars type car chase ride.

Studio Ghibli has so may IPs it would be an amazing land anywhere but if you had to have one a spirited away bathhouse dark ride would be cool but not sure how known it is stateside.

Lord of the Rings - probably rivals potter in its fan following. Dont know it that well myself but sure the imagineers could do something great.

Wallace and Gromit - would love a classic dark ride chase in the UK at Epcot

Dr Who - with disney plus now part funding the show a Dr Who experience could be a good fit

Teletubbies - Silly but I’d love the wonders of life to become the tubbytronic superdome

MickeyLuv'r

This one is already owned by Disney, but Percy Jackson has potential, plus some of Rick Riordan's other books. Disney already added a small tribute to the series, so Percy Jackson doesn't truly fit the thread topic. I doubt Disney will actually do anything more with it in the parks, but it has the potential to seed a fun attraction idea.

I've long thought there is much potential in the Soarin'/FoP/Philarmagic style of attraction, but with different movies that change every six months or so. Perhaps instead of the mechanism of Soarin' it is more like the former Shrek attraction- seats that merely move a little. But do add some sensory effects, like the scents and air effects of FoP. Maybe with 3d Glasses, maybe not. I could see a range of movies being fun.

Last edited:

wdwfan4ver

What are you talking about? Just look at what Disney did with the incredibly popular Spiderman franchise. They made a web shooter... Oh wait, you're right. 🤔 🤣:banghead:
I know what @twilight mitsuk was referring to. There actually was a gun style attraction Disney was trying to pitch to Rowling for Harry Potter.

I read and heard the plans Disney had for Harry Potter from a theme park standpoint. Disney had talks with Rowling before Universal did.

Disney and Rowling originally had an agreement for Potter. Disney presented Rowling Rowling with 2 attractions for Potter and one of them was supposed to be a Buzz Lightyear style ride that would've used a wand instead of a gun. The other attraction was supposed to be a Care of Magical Creatures Petting Zoo. There also were plans for a Leaky Cauldron quick-food station.

Last edited:

BasiltheBatLord

Ghibli would be a slam dunk but not sure what the theme park licensing situation is like + they seems reluctant to develop actual attractions per their Japan park which is essentially just a collection of photo ops and experiences.

Lord of the Rings - probably rivals potter in its fan following. Dont know it that well myself but sure the imagineers could do something great.
LotR is a longstanding rumor for Uni. Can't remember if they have the rights already but supposedly they have been doing concepts for it for well over a decade.

Mark Dunne

James Bond would be a good fit at the studios. Classic Hollywood IP. Maybe a cars type car chase ride.

Studio Ghibli has so may IPs it would be an amazing land anywhere but if you had to have one a spirited away bathhouse dark ride would be cool but not sure how known it is stateside.

Wallace and Gromit - would love a classic dark ride chase in the UK at Epcot

Dr Who - with disney plus now part funding the show a Dr Who experience could be a good fit

Teletubbies - Silly but I’d love the wonders of life to become the tubbytronic superdome
Omg L.O.T.R is a must, imagine what they could do, they could build rivendale, now that would be a great log ride,a bit like frozen but with better animatronics, and bigger drop, also like F.O.P , a battle with the nazgul, that would be a killer land, not sure the Tolkien family would release it though, but that for me, would rival H.P, but Disney does have great I.P, make more of the tangled franchise , Frozen was the sleeper that became this huge Disney Bemonoth , and it took them years to even think about an attraction, they were so blindsided they took an existing attraction down and just replaced it, now at last Arendelle is popping up all over the world ( just not Florida ) but yes outside Star wars original 3, L.O.T.R is up there as the best trilogy ever.

SpectreJordan

Studio Ghibli would be a great addition. Their films are timeless & they have an association with Disney since Disney distributed many of their films in the US.

LOTR is another good one. I'd honestly prefer if that went to EU, but I wouldn't blame Disney for going after it. It's not as big of a draw as Potter but it's still pretty big especially if you put it in DHS alongside Star Wars.

If they really want to compete with Epic Universe, then some video game presence would be nice. Minecraft & Sonic would be able to compete with Nintendo. I think Final Fantasy (which already has a Disney connection through Kingdom Hearts) & Halo would be really cool as well.

Andrew25

LotR is a longstanding rumor for Uni. Can't remember if they have the rights already but supposedly they have been doing concepts for it for well over a decade.
I believe Universal acquired the rights for LotR a while back. Whether or not it happens who knows, but Epic Universe has an expansion pad earmarked for it.

SpectreJordan

What are you talking about? Just look at what Disney did with the incredibly popular Spiderman franchise. They made a web shooter... Oh wait, you're right. 🤔 🤣:banghead:

Same for the Avengers. One of the msot fanous IPs than have Disney but there is nothing more than a resking of a Coaster in Paris, based only in Iron Kan and Captain Marvel.
I think an issue with Marvel so far is that they don't want to go all out on rides that can't bring to WDW. It's annoying that they're like that since they should try their hardest with every attraction, but I can see that being the reason.

The two best Marvel attractions made by Disney are the two Guardians rides by a landslide. I don't think it's a coincidence that it's an IP that can be used on both coasts.

I also think with Spider-Man they run into an extra of the movie rights being owned by Sony. The park Spidey is Tom Holland but the costume is slightly different so I guess they can get away with it because of that. Maybe they can't with the villains though & that's why we got that lame Spiderbot story instead of something with Vulture or Mysterio?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom