Non-Buffet Dining Suggestions

musicbeck1

Original Poster
We are nearing our 180 days out for our trip and I need some suggestions for restaurants. My mother is joining us and she has digestive issues that only allow her to eat small plate/kid meal size meals so she isn't interested in paying for a buffet meal she won't be able to enjoy.
I'm looking for table service options that are not buffets.

**Side question does anyone know is the new Artist's Point character meal offer a regular menu option or is it family style/buffet?

allidog1

Artist Point Story book dining is not a buffet. The bring out 3 appetizers (mini portions for each person), you choose your entree, and then they bring out 3 deserts (mini portion for each person). I like it but it was a lot of really good food.

musicbeck1

Original Poster
@musicbeck1 are you looking for fine or family friendly dining? In the resorts or the parks? Where are you staying?
My family of 4 is on the Dining Plan so 1 credit dining is preferred but my kids are older so we are open to all options. As far as resort or parks we aren't picky, we all have been to WDW and we all have park hopper so we are open to either. I'm just getting tripped up with the no buffet option as a lot of what my family would typically enjoy are the buffet/family style dinning and with my mom/grandma coming I'm a little lost.

HouCuseChickie

We're not big buffet people, so we usually stick to menus outside of a few character meals. Sanaa at AKL/Kidani is our favorite one credit meal. Skipper Canteen would be my 1 credit choice in MK, no real 1 credit preferences in AK and DHS, but you've got a number of good options in Epcot (Chefs de France, Spice Road Table, Rose & Crown...just to name a few). I'm not a fan of using 2 regular dining plan credits on signature meals since I think it's a better value to pay OOP, but if you were to do any of those, many of the signature spots have appetizers that make decent meals. ex. California Grill's flat breads can be a meal for many people.

Schneewittchen

Just a warning, we like steaks and tend to eat adventurously.

In MK:
Skipper Canteen - interesting options, not bland, can be slow sometimes, love the steak salad
Plaza Restaurant - good sandwiches, very quick, small dining room
Tony's Town Square - very Olive Garden-ish Italian, but not bad

In Epcot:
Chefs de France - classic French cuisine, lovely steak frites, can feel a bit crowded
Restaurant Marrakesh - serviceable Moroccan, great entertainment, lots of couscous options
San Angel Inn - wonderful atmosphere, decent standard Mexican, perhaps better than your local Chevy's
Teppan Edo - good Japanese steak house, not unlike Benihana

Hollywood Studios:
Mama Melrose's - fantastic service, really good Italian

Animal Kingdom:
Yak & Yeti - great variety of Asian dishes, wonderful adult beverages, beautiful decor

Resorts:
Sanaa @ AKL - very nice Indian options, great atmosphere
The Wave @ Contemporary - awesome steaks, good service, lovely modern decor
Kona Cafe @ Polynesian - fun mix of Asian dishes, reminds me of that late 90s Asian fusion trend

Disney Springs:
Bongos - it's Cuban (I love Cuban), it's not bad, my local Cuban places are better, but still not bad
Splitsville - eclectic menu, but really very good sushi and random American stuff

musicbeck1

Original Poster
Just a warning, we like steaks and tend to eat adventurously.

In MK:
Skipper Canteen - interesting options, not bland, can be slow sometimes, love the steak salad
Plaza Restaurant - good sandwiches, very quick, small dining room
Tony's Town Square - very Olive Garden-ish Italian, but not bad

In Epcot:
Chefs de France - classic French cuisine, lovely steak frites, can feel a bit crowded
Restaurant Marrakesh - serviceable Moroccan, great entertainment, lots of couscous options
San Angel Inn - wonderful atmosphere, decent standard Mexican, perhaps better than your local Chevy's
Teppan Edo - good Japanese steak house, not unlike Benihana

Hollywood Studios:
Mama Melrose's - fantastic service, really good Italian

Animal Kingdom:
Yak & Yeti - great variety of Asian dishes, wonderful adult beverages, beautiful decor

Resorts:
Sanaa @ AKL - very nice Indian options, great atmosphere
The Wave @ Contemporary - awesome steaks, good service, lovely modern decor
Kona Cafe @ Polynesian - fun mix of Asian dishes, reminds me of that late 90s Asian fusion trend

Disney Springs:
Bongos - it's Cuban (I love Cuban), it's not bad, my local Cuban places are better, but still not bad
Splitsville - eclectic menu, but really very good sushi and random American stuff
Thank you!! This definitely gives me a couple of good choices to look into.

Janir

There are soo many choices that its an adventure all in itself to find nice dining for a WDW trip.

Go to the main WDW website and just pull up the make dining reservations. Find a window of time for a potential reservation and then start clicking on the filters, where to make it, type of reservation, type of food, whatever your fancy, and just start looking at all the restaurant options. You will find something that works for you and is fun.
You can also go hit up The Disney Food blog http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/ jsut poke around, what some random videos, read some random posts until something starts grabbing your interest and then start following whatever rabbit holes you wind up in. Sooner or later you'll find some places that you'll say, "I wanna try eating here!" You can buy their books but you don't really need to.
Also keep in mind that if you trip is at this point just outside the 180 mark, that probably means you'll be hitting WDW during the EPCOT Food and Wine Festival. That is a whole' nother level of good eatin with small plates and you can just nibble your way around World Showcase. Plenty of forum posts about Food and Wine Festival can get you started there.

DisneyJill

some of my non-buffet favorites:
teppan edo (japan, epcot)
via napoli (italy, epcot)
san angel inn (mexico, epcot)
50's prime time (studios)
sci-fi dine in (studios)
sanaa (animal kingdom lodge)
yachtsman steakhouse (yacht--2 ddp)
beaches & cream (beach club)
california grill (contemporary--2ddp)
kona cafe (polynesian--we love breakfast but lunch and dinner are great too)
homecomin' (disney springs)
the boathouse (disney springs)

yedliW

I second Momma Melrose, Sci-Fi and the hibachi place in Japan (I can never remember which is which..).

I know Tony's doesn't get a lot of love, but the time we ate there, it wasn't terrible, we enjoyed it (nothing to write home about, but we have eaten worse dinners at WDW).

Coral Reef isn't bad either, and the aquariums are fun. When we were there, divers were in the water, one came up to the window with silverware in his hand.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom