No more movies: Disney is completely winding down its activities in Russia

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Original Poster

and the google translation:

The Walt Disney Company (Disney) is fully ready to exit the Russian market . So, from the office of the film division of the company in Russia, almost all employees have already been dismissed , including the employees of the film distribution department of the studio. This is reported by rosZMI.

"The remaining team will move to Disney's Russian headquarters at the Lotte Plaza shopping center in Moscow to complete the necessary work before the company's operations in Russia are completely shut down," the statement said.

In addition, the mass media write that all current communications with counterparties in the CIS take place exclusively through the Disney office in the USA.

TP2000

Good riddance to them. They can just use their domestic entertainment market instead, or watch pirated DVD's from the West like the North Koreans and Cubans.

I'm slightly amazed though that Disney, and most of corporate America, has set a strong precedence for when a country misbehaves like this. What happens when Communist China invades Taiwan and the TV shows dead civilians in the streets of Taipei? Will Burbank walk away from their huge investments in Communist China, or will they find an excuse to go easier on Beijing than they did Moscow? 🤔

FettFan

Eh. Not the first time Disney has cancelled Russia.

RussiaEpcot.jpg

FettFan

Good riddance to them. They can just use their domestic entertainment market instead, or watch pirated DVD's from the West like the North Koreans and Cubans.

Those poor Russian parents will have to suffer through their kids watching reruns of Masha and the Bear.

Not even Guantanamo is so cruel.

lazyboy97o

One thing that didn't get out too much was the Disney was actively negotiating with the Soviets at one point so they could have actual Red Armt choir members performing in the pavilion.
It was originally announced as a Soviet Union pavilion, that Disney was negotiating with the Soviets is pretty self evident.

Comped

It was originally announced as a Soviet Union pavilion, that Disney was negotiating with the Soviets is pretty self evident.
Well yes, but how far those talks went was never really publicly disclosed, and, to my knowledge, isn't even in the books that briefly mention the Soviet pavilion.

TP2000

Those poor Russian parents will have to suffer through their kids watching reruns of Masha and the Bear.

Not even Guantanamo is so cruel.

I watch a few guys on YouTube who tour through Russian shopping malls lately. The Russian economy in the big cities has collapsed, and all the Western stores that pulled out aren't missing anything now. It's over.

But I have about as much sympathy for the average middle-class Russian who keeps voting for Putin as I do for the average minor member of the Chinese Communist Party who will claim at a war tribunal in 2030 that he was "only following orders".

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom