News Nightmare Scenario Unfolds for Disneyland Passholders as Reservations Disappear

el_super

Everyone called out the flaws with the reservation system from the start.

It wasn't the reservation system itself that was the problem really... It was necessary.

It was the idea of selling access in a way where the access couldn't be gauranteed. There was no way to know when you bought a pass what the reservation availability or likelihood of visiting on a specific day was going to be.

I said before that Disney was either misrepresenting the new AP program or lying to their shareholders and now we know which one it really was.

mickEblu

It wasn't the reservation system itself that was the problem really... It was necessary.

It was the idea of selling access in a way where the access couldn't be gauranteed. There was no way to know when you bought a pass what the reservation availability or likelihood of visiting on a specific day was going to be.

I said before that Disney was either misrepresenting the new AP program or lying to their shareholders and now we know which one it really was.

True but we still don’t know how they respond to this. It seems like they re at a point where they either have to suspend selling a few passes or put out more reservations a little at a time or in bigger batches. They may not even have to suspend the passes. Who’s going to be the more expensive passes when they look at a calendar and see weekends booked 2 months out?

Sailor310

I was going to hold off getting a pass, but I got one the first day and went to the park the next day. I'm glad I did. There was no one there. I've been four times and feel like I have gotten my money's worth. I was worried they might oversell the passes or do what they're doing.

SuddenStorm

I'm genuinely curious about how they're limiting capacity here.

I mean, before the closure Disneyland hit capacity maybe once or twice a year- if that. So the park should theoretically have enough capacity to fit more people.

The 'limit crowds to increase satisfaction' vs 'use the fire dept capacity as your capacity and pack em in until then' debate is a tale as old as time- but everyone wants Disneyland to be less crowded until they're the one that can't go because Disney artificially capped capacity.

waltography

When I got the Flexpass I knew it was a gamble. My thinking was that the first year no one would get it, and luckily my gamble paid off. Besides a saturday in mid december I never had issues getting reservations.
Still miss my Flex Pass, moreso now with the key system. It was half the cost of my current pass, had MaxPass, and availability was pretty much always open.

waltography

Unless I’m missing something…their goal was never to sell a new annual pass that allowed free reign as the old ones did? Diminishing returns on those that had gotten unwieldy.
That's true. I think the optics of having essentially a full month blocked out ahead of time though is far more restrictive than what most folks hoped.

I'm fine with it for now (although it appears to be approaching two months ahead soon which is a lot), but I'd imagine more AP holders were expecting to be able to reserve a week or two ahead which isn't an unreasonable downgrade from day-of access.

Vegas Disney Fan

True but we still don’t know how they respond to this. It seems like they re at a point where they either have to suspend selling a few passes or put out more reservations a little at a time or in bigger batches. They may not even have to suspend the passes. Who’s going to be the more expensive passes when they look at a calendar and see weekends booked 2 months out?
The worst part is they are still aggressively advertising the keys on their social media sites, I see ads daily on their Facebook page. If they don’t have availability they shouldn’t be selling them anymore

At this rate I don’t expect many people to renew next year, and if they do it will probably be one of the cheap keys. No reason to spend hundreds extra for weekends if they aren’t available.

mickEblu

That's true. I think the optics of having essentially a full month blocked out ahead of time though is far more restrictive than what most folks hoped.

I'm fine with it for now (although it appears to be approaching two months ahead soon which is a lot), but I'd imagine more AP holders were expecting to be able to reserve a week or two ahead which isn't an unreasonable downgrade from day-of access.

To add to your response, ideally there was supposed to be a trade off. Reservations for less crowds but we re not really seeing that. If all visits were pleasant and not too crowded I’d care much less about the difficulty obtaining a reservation. But I think deep down we all knew that Disney wasn’t trying to really limit crowds in any meaningful way. This was always about them just them getting some more juicy data and being able to plan better to SAVE money on staffing.

mickEblu

The worst part is they are still aggressively advertising the keys on their social media sites, I see ads daily on their Facebook page. If they don’t have availability they shouldn’t be selling them anymore

At this rate I don’t expect many people to renew next year, and if they do it will probably be one of the cheap keys. No reason to spend hundreds extra for weekends if they aren’t available.

Which of course would be the best time to buy a Dream or Believe Key. Lol. These things are always so cyclical.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom