New York Cruise with Port Canaveral

Fear

Original Poster
Wife and I are considering a third cruise because we got hit by the bug hard. We saw some itineraries where the Magic leaves from New York city, heads to Castaway Cay, then stops at Port Canaveral for a day trip to Disney World before going back to NY. There haven't been too many of these itineraries so I haven't seen anybody really give feedback on cruises like this.

Has anybody done this? Anybody have any feedback on it and how worthwhile it is to go and do a day trip to a park or two?

Fear

Original Poster
Yeah, I read that, too. I was curious if there were any firsthand accounts for how the day went and if it'd be worth it.

ChuckElias

I haven't done it, but they keep bringing it back, so people must like it. I imagine that it is a LOOOOOONG day, but I would be happy to do it, personally. It's probably 80-90 minutes on the bus each way, but we've done that for many shore excursions in the past on other itineraries. Plus, the ship stays in port until about midnight. So you can even stay in the park for fireworks or IllumiNations.

My only question, since I've never done it, is how you arrange your FastPasses. I wonder if they give you a ticket number so you can set up a My Disney Experience account 30 days ahead of time. (Or maybe 60 days, since you are technically staying on a Disney property. . .)

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
I haven't done it, but they keep bringing it back, so people must like it. I imagine that it is a LOOOOOONG day, but I would be happy to do it, personally. It's probably 80-90 minutes on the bus each way, but we've done that for many shore excursions in the past on other itineraries. Plus, the ship stays in port until about midnight. So you can even stay in the park for fireworks or IllumiNations.

My only question, since I've never done it, is how you arrange your FastPasses. I wonder if they give you a ticket number so you can set up a My Disney Experience account 30 days ahead of time. (Or maybe 60 days, since you are technically staying on a Disney property. . .)

Three open FP come with it that have little to no restrictions.

Fear

Original Poster
Three open FP come with it that have little to no restrictions.

wait just gold fastpasses on your account? I bet hot ticket items are restricted but that would be hecking rad given that it's a parkhopper.

Test Track, SDMT and Space Mountain please and thank you.

disneydad622

We did this itinerary in fall 2016. It was an amazing trip and I would do it again in a heartbeat. The Disney day started at ~7:30 AM when the buses left from Port Canaveral. We took the bus that headed to the Magic Kingdom. You had to reserve a bus, and the early times went fast. We were staying in a concierge room so we got the earliest bus, no problems. We were there for rope drop.

We did not receive Magic Bands, but rather a plastic park hopper card that had 3 Fast Passes loaded on it that could be used on any ride at any park at any time. We spent the morning in Magic Kingdom, had lunch at Liberty Tree and left Epcot around 9 PM. There were busses running to the cruise terminal from each park throughout the day.

The weather was fantastic for the entire trip. 70's and sunny.

Fear

Original Poster
Thanks for the response! On one of the itineraries, the day at the parks falls on our anniversary so I'm trying to make a case to DW to do it and hit all four parks in a day. Haven't gotten a hard no yet!

Do you happen when the latest busses would head to the parks? We'd want to rope drop in order to tour all four, so that would be the only thing I'd be worried about.

ChuckElias

Do you happen when the latest busses would head to the parks?.
I don't know for sure, and I would recommend contacting DCL directly for an exact time. But I know that the ship doesn't leave port until 11:30 pm or midnight on WDW day. So the last bus would be pretty late, probably like 10 pm or so. Hopefully late enough to see IllumiNations or Magic Kingdom fireworks.

disneydad622

Thanks for the response! On one of the itineraries, the day at the parks falls on our anniversary so I'm trying to make a case to DW to do it and hit all four parks in a day. Haven't gotten a hard no yet!

Do you happen when the latest busses would head to the parks? We'd want to rope drop in order to tour all four, so that would be the only thing I'd be worried about.

The buses headed to the park throughout the day from the port, if I remember correctly. I wasn't to concerned about the later buses since I was on one of the first ;).

MotherofaPrincessLover

I'm planning on doing this cruise at some point in the future so I hope it sticks around. Need to wait til my son is older so we can spend a few days in NY and catch a Broadway show. Currently he can't even watch an episode of Mickey Mouse Clubhouse so I feel a Broadway show is out of the question ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom