New Year's questions

Mr. I. Crane

Hi,

After reading posts for a few years, I have finally decided to join. I have been to the parks only in the summer, but this year I will be going to a wedding at the end of December. I wouldn't choose to go during this time, but what can I do? It should be interesting.

I would like to know what should be avoided (I'm sure the parks are ridiculous) and what kinds of things are worth checking out during the season. What are the wait times like? How crowded does it actually get at the resorts? Any tips would be great.

Thanks!

:xmas::shrug:

CAPTAIN HOOK

Christmas week to New Year is very busy - New Years Eve is chaotic.

If you want a table meal get it booked as your earliest opportunity - as near to the 90 day window as possible.

You must see The Osborne Lights, Candlelight Processional and Wishes/Illuminations with the New Year tags on

Upvote 0

GoochDSA

Like you, after spending quite a while reading the posts on here I decided to start posting myself, so welcome.

I went this past new years with my girlfriend. It was my first trip down there durring this time of year. The experience is pretty different then durring the summer months. I will do my best to answer your post in an organized mannor, but I doubt that will happen.

Wait times can be very long. The wait times for rides like Toy Story Midway Mania, Sorin, Mission: Space were between 2 and 3 and a half hours. Rides like The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh or Peter Pan's Flight were 90 mins.

Take advantage of the EMH! Especially the PM ones. The park clears out pretty quickly, people will usually just stay for another ride or 2, but the lines are much shorter. If you plan in staying in the park for the PM EMH, don't rush to get to the park durring the day since you can stay until much later. Also, fast past when possible.

MK and EPCOT will close, especially on the 30th and 31st, due to capacity mid-day, but will re-open by the beginning of dinner time, I was in EPCOT by 3 right after it re-opened on New Year's Eve so I don't know if they shut down after that. If you are going to eat in either of those parks, plan accordingly.

EPCOT is the place to be on New Year's Eve if you get the chance. It's packed but it seemed like every country in the WS had its own music and party going on. It was a lot of fun. You can still see the MK New Year's Eve fireworks on Dec. 30th.

Take notice of each parks x-mas trees. They are decorated in thier own unique way.

We stayed at POR, and even though it was booked, the layout of the resort made it seem like no one was there. We had breakfast pretty early and came back pretty late (it's nice to be young and full of energy).

Get your ADR's as soon as you can because everything will fill up, TS for both lunch and dinner fills up in most places, so don't expect to be able to just walk into a TS restauraunt and get a table.

But the 3 most important things are, 1) remember you are there durring the busiest most chaotic time of the year, just be patient and stay calm even when you just want to scream on the top of your lungs, 2) people watching is a fantastic way to pass the time and the people watching options are endless, and 3) have fun!

Upvote 0

Mr. I. Crane

Original Poster
Thanks for the tips.
We are planning on laying low and not really trying to go on many rides. Epcot does seem like a good choice on New Year's. Can anybody tell me what Downtown Disney is like during the week? Is it more or less crowded than the parks? I would think most people want to spend their time in the parks. What was Orlando International like?

Upvote 0

elisatonks

Expect it to be very very busy. MK is likely to do to capacity before 11am on both xmas and new years day, and usually opens up for less than an hour in the afternoon. MK, EPCOT and DHS all do NYE fireworks. I usually see the DHS fireworks as they only have them twice a year - the other is 4th July. MK shows its fireworks usually on the 30th. Epcot is also good for new years eve, as all the countries celebrate at the time there country celebrates new year, so the UK celebrates at 7pm, Germany, France and Italy at 6pm, etc. Also make sure you don't miss osbourne family lights, the castle at night, candlelight processional, and if there is a MVMCP on whilst your there check out the magic kingdoms festivities then, as its quieter than during xmas week on the event nights plus you get cookies and hot chocolate. Also make sure you check out the gingerbread house in the grand floridian lobby.

Upvote 0

CAPTAIN HOOK

We arrived at WDW on Christmas Day and walked straight into EPCOT for our evening meal at around 7pm - no idea whether the park had been shut earlier.

Do not expect to get much done in the way of rides during this time - Dec 26th we arrived at MK at rope drop and rode Splash. BTMRR, Pirates Space + Buzz within the first 90 minutes !!! This was an exception - on New Years Eve Soaron had a stand by line of over 4 hours, and on Jan 2nd we went to DHS - Toy Story Mania had a stand by of over 90 mins and this was only 30 minutes after park opening for EMH guests.

MK has its NYE Wishes on both Dec 30th + 31st - you could celebrate NYE twice by going to MK on Dec 30th and EPCOT on NYE and watching illuminations.

MK and EPCOT both closed during the morning of NYE - get there early and stay all day - don't risk park hopping.

MVMCP does not run during Christmas - New Year. The last Party night is around 5 diys before Christmas

Upvote 0

Spinky

We went last year and arrived in Orlando at 2.30pm on NYE We had dinner at House of Blues at downtown Disney and then caught the later showing of La Nuba they did some little things extra it was really cool and Downtown Disney wasnt Crammed. then we headed back to the All star resorts and caught the midnight Fireworks Brilliant evening.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom