New Tomorrowland @ Disneyland? Is this the year it finally gets announced?

mickEblu

Original Poster
It’s that time of year folks. Springtime, every other year before D23 we gather here to discuss the possibility of a new Tomorrowland and are disappointed time and time again. Currently all the buzz is about Avatar and DL Forward so the TL discussion has died down quite a bit.

It did seem like their intention was to go with a more retro Tomorrowland judging by the concept art and the aesthetics of the new stage and area in DTD by the monorail station. The question is how far will they lean into TL 67? Do they bring the PeopleMover back, retheme Nemo, etc. The fact that the “new” TL entrance concept art has the Gold non sleek or retro looking Astro Orbitor in it is a bad sign and indicative of a lighter refresh. If that’s even that plan that is.

25D74A7A-9EE9-4686-A677-F3B753B8AAC1.jpeg

This was briefly discussed when they unveiled the new DTD stage but it seems like the plan was to have you leave a retro TL looking monorail station/ surrounding area and arrive in a new retro TL. Compare the new DTD stage to the old Coca Cola TL Terrace below:

78B337E0-1911-4C3C-A9F9-10B787019081.jpeg

38602C0E-D4B3-435F-B2C9-7E7590047BEA.jpeg

It really did feel like they pulled the TL announcement last second at the 2022 D23. Between the insider rumors and some suggestive language that wasn’t omitted from the panels I believe this to be true.

Last edited:

CHOX

RETHEME NEMO. The technology in that ride was dated before it even opened. Never going to happen.

J4546

Id love a complete redo of the east side of DL, its so weak compared to the center/west side. Keep the mid century retro futurism style or give it a bit of the Paris colorful steam punk look perhaps, regardless Buzz is out, Star Tours is out, SM is redone, Cop is redone and PM is bought back. Also move astro orbiter back to og spot.

mickEblu

Original Poster
RETHEME NEMO. The technology in that ride was dated before it even opened. Never going to happen.

Ride concept still works but yeah I don’t think it would just be a simple retheme. As long as the lagoon stays as well as some spiritual successor to the Subs I’d be happy.

CaptinEO

It’s that time of year folks. Springtime, every other year before D23 we gather here to discuss the possibility of a new Tomorrowland and are disappointed time and time again. Currently all the buzz is about Avatar and DL Forward so the TL discussion has died down quite a bit.

It did seem like their intention was to go with a more retro Tomorrowland judging by the concept art and the aesthetics of the new stage and area in DTD by the monorail station. The question is how far will they lean into TL 67? Do they bring the PeopleMover back, retheme Nemo, etc. The fact that the “new” TL entrance concept art has the Gold non sleek or retro looking Astro Orbitor in it is a bad sign and indicative of a lighter refresh. If that’s even that plan that is.

View attachment 776323

This was briefly discussed when they unveiled the new DTD stage but it seems like the plan was to have you leave a retro TL looking monorail station/ surrounding area and arrive in a new retro TL. Compare the new DTD stage to the old Coca Cola TL Terrace below:

View attachment 776324

View attachment 776325

It really did feel like they pulled the TL announcement last second at the 2022 D23. Between the insider rumors and some suggestive language that wasn’t omitted from the panels I believe this to be true.

I hear they're bringing back the People Mover.
People have been saying both of these since the mid 2000s.

It's best to expect nothing. In the event something is announced it's also best to expect nothing until we see shovels hit the ground.

mickEblu

Original Poster
People have been saying both of these since the mid 2000s.

It's best to expect nothing. In the event something is announced it's also best to expect nothing until we see shovels hit the ground.

Haha yeah I’m good either way. If they announce it it’ll be something exciting to talk about… that will most likely end up being disappointing in some aspect. If they don’t oh well. The west side of Disneyland is still there.

Disney Irish

Premium Member

View attachment 776323

View attachment 776324

View attachment 776325

This has to be the year, right? Right?!?!?

But seriously, I think they are ready to pull the trigger the only question is timing and what.....

I do think going back to go forward is likely the way to go. Redo with a spiritual successor to TL67, but with IP. I know that is going to irk some but that is going to have to be the way it is if you want a TL redo.

The only thing that stays in my opinion is probably SM but with the TDL retheme. Some type of PM will come back. ST will be rethemed to something else. And the rest will be up in the air.

As for timing, my guess is its a multi-year project going into the back half the decade, starting in 2025 with a full completion of 2030/2031.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Someone mentioned the idea of them doing Haunted Mansion and Tiana now to do all of Tomorrowland next, with the goal being to open before the Olympics in 2027. I could see that happening.
A complete land redo in two years? For that to happen I would assume that not much changes in terms of the attraction lineup then. Just a basic cleanup of the area, and maybe bring back PM. I guess I would be ok with that, but would rather some updates with some new attractions.

CaptinEO

A complete land redo in two years? For that to happen I would assume that not much changes in terms of the attraction lineup then. Just a basic cleanup of the area, and maybe bring back PM. I guess I would be ok with that, but would rather some updates with some new attractions.
Looks like it's summer 2028, just double checked. If they start in January 2025 after the busy holiday season that gives them 3 and a half years.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Looks like it's summer 2028, just double checked. If they start in January 2025 after the busy holiday season that gives them 3 and a half years.
Yes Olympics in LA is summer 2028. I had thought you meant opening in 2027 prior to the 2028 Olympics.

Anyways still 3.5 years for an entire land redo still seems like a steep order if you're expecting at least some of the attractions will get a makeover. That means, at least in my mind, closing the entire land to get it complete in that time period. That is a long time without some of the heavy hitters like SM and ST.

mickEblu

Original Poster
Someone mentioned the idea of them doing Haunted Mansion and Tiana now to do all of Tomorrowland next, with the goal being to open before the Olympics in 2027. I could see that happening.

My thought process was that it was an odd choice to do this Haunted Mansion project while Splash Mountain is still down. So I thought one reason might be if there were plans for part or all of TL to go down next year. But then I remembered the 70th anniversary is next year so they may just be preparing for that. Which makes me a little less optimistic for that TL redo. I doubt they’d want TL down for the 70th. But if it’s done in phases maybe 🤷🏻‍♂️. The 70th isn’t exactly the 75th.

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
My thought process was that it was an odd choice to do this Haunted Mansion project while Splash Mountain is still down. So I thought one reason might be if there were plans for part or all of TL to go down next year. But then I remembered the 70th anniversary is next year so they may just be preparing for that. Which makes me a little less optimistic for that TL redo. I doubt they’d want TL down for the 70th. But if it’s done in phases maybe 🤷🏻‍♂️. The 70th isn’t exactly the 75th.
This is why I'm thinking a 5 year phased plan, with completion around 2030, is probably a more realistic time frame. Have it done by the 75th.

mickEblu

Original Poster
This is why I'm thinking a 5 year phased plan, with completion around 2030, is probably a more realistic time frame. Have it done by the 75th.

Yeah that sounds doable. They could even start construction after the holidays in January 2026 and have the full park open for nearly 8 months of the 70th anniversary if they start the celebration in May like they did for the 60th.

TP2000

I imagine if there's any real attempt to redo Tomorrowland, it's no longer going to be called Tomorrowland.

They named the new DVC Tower the Discovery Tower to go along with the naming convention of Frontier, Adventure, Fantasy for the other towers.

I'd have to think they'd shift Tomorrowland into a contemporary-fiction Discoveryland thing instead. What that would look like is anyone's guess, but I would think only Space Mountain is safe long-term.

Everything else in current day Tomorrowland is either tired, hokey, closed, abandoned, duplicative, and/or irrelevant in 2024.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom