New system to replace Magic Band system

Nottamus

Original Poster
Forgive me if there’s a post somewhere else with info I’m looking for ....

does anyone have any information of what the new thing to replace Magicbands is? Any speculations?
I just keep reading that it’s happening first part of 2021....kind of where we are right now

I know it involves mobile devices , but that’s all I have read.

nickys

Premium Member

does anyone have any information of what the new thing to replace Magicbands is? Any speculations?
I just keep reading that it’s happening first part of 2021....kind of where we are right now

Magic bands aren’t going away. You can still buy them and use them. WDW just stopped sending free ones to resort guests.

You can however open your room door with your phone through the MDE app.

wbostic12

In the Parks
No

This new project is not very well known for its details. The way I understood is it will somehow connect to the Apple wallet feature in the iPhone and whatever is comparable with androids. For now, the magic bands can still be bought, but they have introduced new KTTWs that look similar to the Magicband package luggage tags.

It has also been reported that a beta is coming soon, but I have heard nothing about that lately.

NelleBelle

Maybe it's similar to what DLR has? We had our "tickets" in the DLR app and just pulled them up and were scanned when we entered the park and for any FP rides we entered (we actually used both FP and MaxPass, which we loved)--used the ticket feature in our phone both times. I had both the tickets linked in my phone and just had to swipe both, like boarding passes when you fly.

wbostic12

In the Parks
No
Maybe it's similar to what DLR has? We had our "tickets" in the DLR app and just pulled them up and were scanned when we entered the park and for any FP rides we entered (we actually used both FP and MaxPass, which we loved)--used the ticket feature in our phone both times. I had both the tickets linked in my phone and just had to swipe both, like boarding passes when you fly.
I'm not sure about that, because compared to a magicband, that is a whole lot more trouble (in the grand scheme of things, its not difficult at all, but in terms of ease, magicbands are better by a mile). I feel like this would be something that doesn't require you to go to the app, just tapping the RFID transmitter on your phone to the reader.

Nottamus

Original Poster
I’m guessing the main reason I am asking, was all the announcements that something was changing in 2021...and we haven’t seen it yet

I’ll be using my old MB for awhile ....maybe buy one if I have too...just because of its ease of use.

( that and I just bought a puck holder that fits on my watch band and only got to use on one trip )

Jon81uk

Disneyland (and airline boarding passes) uses barcodes still, WDW uses RFID

I'm not sure about that, because compared to a magicband, that is a whole lot more trouble (in the grand scheme of things, its not difficult at all, but in terms of ease, magicbands are better by a mile). I feel like this would be something that doesn't require you to go to the app, just tapping the RFID transmitter on your phone to the reader.

This is possible and I expect it will happen at some point where you can add your KTTW to Apple Wallet and then just tap at readers, similar to Apple Pay.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom