New Commercial

BeachClubVillas

Original Poster
Does anyone else get incredibly angry when they air that stupid Universal commercial and at the end they say "outgrown fairy tales and pixy dust?" or "fairy tales and pixy dust not quite your thing?" That really makes me mad!:fork: Disney never outright attacks Universal or anybody else in their commercials, because they don't have to. Instead, they focus on their own great rides, hotels and CMs to get people to come. The entire Universal commercial is disgusting. They have that group of women at Emeril's restaurant eating spaghetti with their hands and doing all sorts of other nasty stuff. If that's the way Universal is, I'll stick to Disney, thank you very much. Does Universal really expect to attract people with that type of advertising? Disney is just so much better all around. Universal must really be hurting to have to resort to that!

marksniles

I never liked Universal. Sure they have great rides but the atmosphere just stinks. I'm not surprise with what they did in their commercials.

JBSLJames

That "Old Dancing Man' is pretty funny though. If he had his own show at Universal I may go . . . . . . . NOT.

When I want to see a dancing old man, I'll stick with re-runs of the Gong Show :lookaroun

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Like most Brits I visit Universal every trip and enjoy the experience, it is after all not Disney and its definitely not a UK park. I dont think it deserves many of the jibes that arte thrown at it from these boards, especially as some complain but have never visited.
The marketing however is down to a few execs or company who identify the demographic of people who visit and design the ads to appeal to them. My take being that as Universal is a teen park they push the message that makes teens think they’ve grown up and are beyond the childish pleasures of Disney.

Or it could just be a boo ya sucks sort of message at their biggest rival fuelled by their own insecurity.

KingCEO

The Old Dancing Man is a Six Flags commercial not a Universal one.

Anyways, I can understand why Universal used that in the commercial. Disney is numero UNO, the top of the mountain and Universal is right behind them. Most people plan there trips as a Disney vacation and if we choose to lets go to Universal for a day. Universal doesnt want that, they want it to be the complete opposite where they come there first and end up going to Disney for a day. Now since they sold off that Lockheed land where their expansion was planned it is going to be hard to achieve that goal. So they need to advertise it as a Teen/Adult park to get the tourist's attention. There are alot of families with kids older than 14 and they need an alternative to the "pixie dust" becuase quite frankly it doesn't work with the older crowds. Dont be surprised in the future that Disney might throw lil jabs back.

agdbeanie

Originally posted by JBSLJames
That "Old Dancing Man' is pretty funny though. If he had his own show at Universal I may go . . . . . . . NOT.

When I want to see a dancing old man, I'll stick with re-runs of the Gong Show :lookaroun

The old man dancing is actually a commercial for Six Flags. I think it's hilarious, but it doesn't make me want to go to their park.

That Universal commercial has been out for a while, but it still annoys me when I see it. Whatever. It doesn't deter me from going to WDW, only from every going to Universal again.

Pumbas Nakasak

Originally posted by KingCEO
There are alot of families with kids older than 14 and they need an alternative to the "pixie dust" becuase quite frankly it doesn't work with the older crowds.

Well I guess the three teens in my household are odd, cause they cant stand IOA, but dont mind USF. Each to their own.

agdbeanie

Dont be surprised in the future that Disney might throw lil jabs back.

I doubt that will happen. Disney knows they don't need to negatively advertise for other parks to get business. Plus they've had a whole bunch of new commercials come out since that Universal one and there seems to be no sign of backlash. They have more class than that.

BeachClubVillas

Original Poster
Originally posted by Pumbas Nakasak
Well I guess the three teens in my household are odd, cause they cant stand IOA, but dont mind USF. Each to their own.

This recently departed teen (lol, I'm 20) feels the same way as your kids and so does my 18 year old brother. IOA is awful. The rides are great, but the theming is sloppy and thrown together and there is just no comparison. We like USF though and go there every trip. I just hate that you have to go through Citywalk to get there. Although we loove Margaritaville for dinner. That alone is worth the trip!

KingCEO

QUOTE]I doubt that will happen. Disney knows they don't need to negatively advertise for other parks to get business. Plus they've had a whole bunch of new commercials come out since that Universal one and there seems to be no sign of backlash. They have more class than that.[/QUOTE]

I didnt mean by negative ways, I meant like trying to steal the spotlight away or making the tourists forget about UO. I guess I worded it wrong. Sorry

Katherine

There are alot of families with kids older than 14 and they need an alternative to the "pixie dust" becuase quite frankly it doesn't work with the older crowds. Dont be surprised in the future that Disney might throw lil jabs back.
I'd have to counter this remark. I'm 15 and I took a friend to WDW this past week also 15(well almost) who went to WDW once or twice when she was little and in no way is a Disney freak, and we had a blast. We rode the "big thrills" but we also made a point of riding all the rides including Dumbo and teacups twice. Yes, many people I know might think they're all macho and be like "that's little kidish" but those are the teens we don't want at WDW to begin with and give all teens a bad name.

Sorry I just needed to get that off my chest. Better now.:D

Pumbas Nakasak

mmmm I still "do it all" and Im closer to pension than puberty so I must be a reallllll big kid, and Im not talking waist line.

alice

Fairy Tales and Pixie Dust are MY THING!!!

i have absolutely no interest in going to universal, now or ever. if i had the chance to go, that would mean one day i could spend in wdw instead, so i would never choose universal over disney. it just doesn't appeal to me at all- it doesn't look as happy, or friendly, or have that childhood-like feeling associated with it. And yes that commercial es me off everytime i see it! But I guess they have to resort to mud slinging to get people to go there!

Hank Scorpio

I went to Universal this past visit and I can honestly say that if I went again i'd really consider giving it a miss.

The problem wasn't their rides, or even their theming. The problem was the staff. I've never seen such miserable and damn right rude people as the staff that ran that park. They all looked like they didnt want to be there, hated every guest that asked them for something and couldn't have given two hoots about maintaing the park. That's what put me and my fiance off. We felt unwelcome and had paid for the privledge!

FanofDinsey1981

I have been to universal twice (not the IOA though), and both times I was miserable. 1/2 the rides were broken, and the E.T. ride hada THREE hour wait, and it was dumb. and I hate E.T.-it scared the poo out of me when I was a kid.

even the kids stuff was blah when I was a kid.

what i find funny is that Universal tries to make themselves different by pulling in the 'thrill' seekers, yet they have used disney as a template for their resort. they have themed resorts, water transportation, 'park hopper' type passes..... even the city walk is a downtown disney wanna-be.

so in that case, I will stick with the original, who does it better and bigger then they every will.

KingCEO

I'd have to counter this remark. I'm 15 and I took a friend to WDW this past week also 15(well almost) who went to WDW once or twice when she was little and in no way is a Disney freak, and we had a blast. We rode the "big thrills" but we also made a point of riding all the rides including Dumbo and teacups twice. Yes, many people I know might think they're all macho and be like "that's little kidish" but those are the teens we don't want at WDW to begin with and give all teens a bad name.

I didnt mean every teen, but there are some teens that dont like Disney becuase of the kid feeling. I love Disney and Im 19, but I know people myself who dont because its to "kiddy" for them. But just becuase they think its kiddy doesnt give teens a bad name. My g/f is not into to Disney at all, but we just came back and had we had a blast. What gives teens a bad name are the ones who you hear complain that this park sucks becuase of the absents of roller coasters and what not.

stitch131313

I've been to Universal, but not IOA. I was very disapointed. I've heard that IOA is better, and I what to go for the roller coasters. But I would pick Disney over Universal. Even City Walk looks like a cheap remake of Downtown Disney.

It's sad when companyies start lashing out at each other to try to win customers. Lets hope Disney doesn't start doing that.:hammer:

BeachClubVillas

Original Poster
Originally posted by stitch131313
I've been to Universal, but not IOA. I was very disapointed. I've heard that IOA is better, and I what to go for the roller coasters. But I would pick Disney over Universal. Even City Walk looks like a cheap remake of Downtown Disney.

It's sad when companyies start lashing out at each other to try to win customers. Lets hope Disney doesn't start doing that.:hammer:

You're so right. CityWalk is nothing but a cheap replica of Downtown Disney. It's like Universal tries to do everything Disney does but just can't get there. At IOA they have a log flume, and the inside is just awful! The only theming or scenery are a few black and white cardboard cutouts. It looks so cheap and ugly. There is absolutely NO comparison with Splash Mountain. Universal just cannot come close to Disney. It will never happen. Disney is the King :king:

cherrynegra

I actually think the ad does what it's meant to do. And that's sort of wish fulfillment. But not with fairytale characters. But I agree. That tag line is definitely a jab.

hoppypooh

I am not bothered in the least by Universal's t.v. commercials!
By drawing those kinds of crowds away to Universal it means I don't have to share WDW with those who can't appreciate the magic! :p

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom