New bus app feature being tested at POFQ

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
I'm not sure when the last time was that I saw a CM at a bus stop, other than at a park. And outside of the aforementioned start of the day, I've rarely seen the estimated time be accurate, let alone change fewer than 5 times and by at least 5-10 minutes.

Anyone else get the feeling sometimes that the transportation people who implemented this system starting singing, ala Homer Simpson - "I am so smart! I am so smart! S-M-R-T!! I mean, S-M-A-R-T..."? Maybe they should be forced to ride buses to random locations for 8 hours and see how many bus trips they actually get.

I typically see CM's at the bus stops are resorts in the morning hours only before the parks open monitoring... but not sure what it does really...it's the other times that are definitely hit or miss

tissandtully

this is exactly what I have witnessed many times before... some busses even backed up going to the same place with no one in line and the other line waiting over 30... makes no sense.

I don't know how they managed their bus system but to be able to monitor their locations and destinations and route more as needed would be good imo - this is why I think the request button would be good so they would know when its necessary. heck they could even install cameras at some bus stops to see crowds waiting as well
True, cameras would definitely be cheaper.

es135

If implemented properly, this could be a very welcome addition to the app. During my last trip, I was really disappointed with that there was no way to predict when a bus would arrive at the parks. If this does show accurate arrival times, it will make park hopping much easier to plan.

DisneyJoe

An easy improvement would be to show the bus schedule on the resort TV's.
There is no published schedule - they adapt it based on demand. It should run every 20 minutes, but no bus is on a dedicated schedule.

I used to commute on a bus to work and back every day - and these were on a schedule. If a bus ever got ahead of schedule, it would pull over and wait until it was time to move again to be back on schedule. Could you imagine the reaction of guests if a bus sat on the side of a road saying that it had to wait a few minutes because it was ahead of schedule?

deeevo

There is no published schedule - they adapt it based on demand. It should run every 20 minutes, but no bus is on a dedicated schedule.

I used to commute on a bus to work and back every day - and these were on a schedule. If a bus ever got ahead of schedule, it would pull over and wait until it was time to move again to be back on schedule. Could you imagine the reaction of guests if a bus sat on the side of a road saying that it had to wait a few minutes because it was ahead of schedule?
Yes, I know there is no schedule.. its a GPS system so it is fluid. Let me re-phrase... show the same thing in my room on the TV as they show on the TV's at the station...

trainplane3

I still wish for a feature like most cities have. Since the buses are already GPS'd and estimates are already active at bus stops, part of the work is done. First you would be able to choose your route or in WDW, current location and destination, like below:
Screenshot_20180418-151452.png

And then you'd be able to see the related buses for your route. Tapping on a bus would give you an approximate time of arrival to a stop:
Screenshot_20180418-151849.png

Now Disney would have to have another option of where you are currently at and where you are trying to go instead of choosing a bus route number.

DisneyJoe

Yes, I know there is no schedule.. its a GPS system so it is fluid. Let me re-phrase... show the same thing in my room on the TV as they show on the TV's at the station...
I see no reason that they couldn't do that - thanks for clarifying - although a resort with multiple bus stops would present a slight challenge.

DisneyJoe

I’m very patient, it’s not your fault, I’m just saying there needs to be a plan for what’s coming in the future, even more ECVs.
They've cut the time in half that it used to take to get on a bus, with the flip down ramp vs the lift and now a driver usually helps steer the ECV onto the bus and into the securement position. The SkyLiner should make many locations even faster once implemented.

For some reason I am on their list to be constantly surveyed on this topic, so they are aware and are always considering ways to optimize the flow of people, no matter what their handicap.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
I also want to add that the wait times are messed up A LOT by the whole ECV loading process, which happens to be on every other bus I've been on. There needs to be a better solution for handling ECVs and wheelchairs getting around on bus transport at WDW.

Which is why they need separate busses for those that use ECVs or wheelchairs that can be requested at the bus stop areas. This could also be designed to make the entry and exit more comfortable for those using ECVs as well.

DisneyJoe

Which is why they need separate busses for those that use ECVs or wheelchairs that can be requested at the bus stop areas. This could also be designed to make the entry and exit more comfortable for those using ECVs as well.
Never happen, you'd need to double the number of transport vehicles and drivers in order to provide equivalent service which would be required.

Driver

Sir you are dead on accurate! I couldn't have said it better myself. And I might add ( not that it affects the schedule, bus dispatch is at random. So what I mean is no bus is on a dedicated run. This believe it or not adds to efficiency, because busses can be dispatched as DisneyJoe said " on demand". The only exception to " no dedicated run" is during the day when most people are in the park some of the larger resorts ( All Stars, Caribbean Beach, etc.) do have a bus on dedicated run. Not a guarantee but not unusual either.

tissandtully

Yeah, that's kind of an unpopular opinion, but I agree with you. There's gotta be a better way!

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
Yeah, that's kind of an unpopular opinion, but I agree with you. There's gotta be a better way!
I can understand that. I have a family member that has traveled with us in that situation in the past and even they didn’t feel right at times jumping in front of others and then holding others up while they stare at them driving into the bus to load (their words not mine).

If there were separate bus stops that can request transportation in a more comfortable and easier to load and unload vehicle for them AND their family members I could see that as a win win IF it were done correctly. Touchy subject though I understand

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom