Never been...looking for what "not to miss"

copcarguyp71

Original Poster
So we've been to WDW 9 times and have not been back since 2013 but find ourselves travelling to Orlando in December. Our daughter is now 17 so we are thinking of spending a day or two at universal. Since we have never been I'm looking for advice on what not to miss...what can be skipped and the best way to make the most of a one or two day pass. Any help on this is very much appreciated.

CoasterSnoop

Aside from Potter, Revenge of the Mummy is an amazing indoor coaster that blends dark ride elements with a well-designed coaster and is my personal favorite at the resort. MiB is an interactive dark ride ala Buzz, but imo much more elaborately-themed. If you're into roller coasters at all, Hulk is one of the best in Florida, bare-bones in theme but manufactured by B&M and designed by the guy who basically invented the loop, making for an unforgettable track if you're into that sort of thing. There's Spider-Man and Transformers, which use the same ride system in different parks, and chances are how you feel about one will be similar to how you feel about the other. Personally, I love both, but it depends on your tolerance for screens, which I understand some on this site do not have any of. Also Jurassic Park if you don't mind getting Splash levels of wet.
Outright skippables would be Kong, Jimmy Fallon, and Shrek, and anything else depends on how you feel that day. You will get soaked and it will be unpleasantly so on Dudley Do-Right, Simpsons can have an annoyingly drawn-out wait even if it doesn't seem too busy, and there's E.T. and the Dr. Seuss stuff which is good if you're into that average Fantasyland dark ride style.
Try and get to Islands of Adventure as early as possible to ride Hagrid, as the newest ride in the park it gets pretty high wait times later in the day and is known for breaking down frequently. I just came back from a trip w/ the family and the ride went down before the park even opened. ~30 minutes of waiting netted us a skip-the-line pass which made the 90-minute wait we skipped the next day incredibly sweet, so if push comes to shove...
Finally, two days should be more than enough to fully experience both parks. Even without hoppers, one day in each park gives you adequate time to explore each and see all there is to see as well as see all of the must-dos plus more. Hope this helped. :)

Jon81uk

Must do at the Universal parks for me
Harry Potter & Gringotts
General walk-though of Diagon Alley.
Hogwarts Express (if you have park hoppers)
Spider-Man
Incredible Hulk
Hagrids Coaster
Raptor meet and greet
ET
Revenge of the Mummy
Men in Black
Posiodons Fury

Should do rides for me (if I have time)
Kong
Potter Forbidden Journey
Rip Ride Rocket
Transformers
Simpsons
Minions
Jurassic Park river adventure
Look round Seuss Island

Usually skip
Dudley Do-rights
Blutos Barges (too wet)
Storm Force
Hippogriff (kiddie ride)

I've not been on Jimmy Fallon.

Two weekdays will be plenty of time.

macefamily

If you have two days you pretty much should be able to do everything at least once in both parks. You can tell with some of the rides if you'll want to take the time to wait for them. Water rides may not be doable depending on the weather and others like Storm Force, Dr. Doom, and One Fish, Two Fish could be left out depending on your schedule. Enjoy yourselves and I hope you have good weather.

OG Runner

So we've been to WDW 9 times and have not been back since 2013 but find ourselves travelling to Orlando in December. Our daughter is now 17 so we are thinking of spending a day or two at universal. Since we have never been I'm looking for advice on what not to miss...what can be skipped and the best way to make the most of a one or two day pass. Any help on this is very much appreciated.
My recommendation would be to stay at the Hard Rock or Portofino and get the whole experience. A boat ride over to the parks and then enjoy all of the rides. Go back and forth, by Hogwarts express to avoid too many screen rides in a row, but try them all. Even
the mild rides in Suessland offer unique experiences.

copcarguyp71

Original Poster
My recommendation would be to stay at the Hard Rock or Portofino and get the whole experience. A boat ride over to the parks and then enjoy all of the rides. Go back and forth, by Hogwarts express to avoid too many screen rides in a row, but try them all. Even
the mild rides in Suessland offer unique experiences.
Already booked at Margaritaville resort for 6 nights...so trying some variety during our stay. After staying onsite at WDW for all of our past trips we are shaking things up a bit and not going all-in on any park or attraction.

trr1

Have at least 3 days and stay at one of the premier hotels to get free express passes

Rob562

Some good suggestions in this thread, and I'd say that across two days you should be able to do everything. One thing you didn't mention was what days of the week you're going. Universal started offering FL residents a special where they buy a 1-day ticket and they get unlimited admission through Christmas. This has led to very busy weekends, with the typical lower crowds on weekdays. So I'd highly suggest going on weekdays.

A few notes:
-They've closed a few attractions (presumably to save money) because of lower attendance: Twirl & Hurl (Simpsons spinner), Fast & Furious, Fear Factor Live, Storm Force Accelatron (teacups by Hulk), and Poseidon's Fury.
IMO, the only loss on that list is Poseidon's Fury, a unique walk-through attraction that you don't see the likes of nowadays.

-If your group includes big Harry Potter fans, I feel there's only one "correct" way to approach the Potter sections for first-time visitors. This involves treating the Hogsmeade section of IOA as if it were a standalone island accessible only via the Hogwarts Express, as if the rest of IOA didn't exist.
So you start your first day in Studios. After riding a few non-Potter headliners you start your Potter voyage in Diagon Alley, ride Gringott's, visit some of the shops, poke through Knockturn Alley. Then you go out to King's Cross station and get on the Hogwarts Express to Hogsmeade. Visit Hogsmeade, ride Forbidden Journey, Hagrid's, and then ride the Hogwart's Express back to King's Cross to finish out the day in the Studios. Day Two focus on IOA and then finish up anything at Studios you missed.

Of course, if you don't care a ton about Harry Potter you can just visit them however you want.

-Bilge Rat Barges gets everyone who rides soaking wet. Dudley Do-Right is about 50/50 whether you get very wet or only semi-wet. In December I'd avoid both. However when we stay on-site in warmer weather, one of our favorite things to do is to go to the parks first thing, ride Jurassic Park, Dudley Do Right, and Bilge Rat in rapid succession (sometimes riding Bilge Rat multiple times). We then leave the park dripping wet (with some very odd looks from guests still entering) and go back to our on-site hotel for a shower and change of clothes.

-If you enjoy a beer, check out the beers in the two Potter sections, made specially for the parks. Wizard's Brew is only available in Diagon, Hog's Head Ale is only in Hogsmeade, and Dragon Scale is in both places. (I like a Black Hog from the Hog's Head Pub, which is a black & tan made with Guinness and Hog's Head Ale)
There are also a couple Duff beers available near Simpsons.

-If pressed for time, the following are easily skippable: Shrek, Minions, anything in Kid Zone other than ET, Caroseussel, High in the Sky Trolley, One Fish Two Fish, Jurassic Park Visitor's Center.

-Rob

PostScott

If you don't mind getting pretty wet, Popeyes and Dudley's are extremely fun. Just whatever you do, do not waste your time at Minion mayhem and jimmy fallon. They're cute but other than that there isn't any substance other than the queues.

OG Runner

I would recommend going on Jimmy Fallon. It is a screen ride but it is fun and if you know the show, the jokes are not bad.
Transformers & Spiderman, while both fun rides are also pretty much the same ride. If you go on one you really do not need
to do the other.

Tom Morrow

I want to update my answer:

weekdays are now unpleasant too. Though not quite the nightmare of weekends, the lines do not move at all because Universal refuses to get rid of Express.

This week at UOR was possibly the worst time I’ve ever had in a theme park.

surfsupdon

I want to update my answer:

weekdays are now unpleasant too. Though not quite the nightmare of weekends, the lines do not move at all because Universal refuses to get rid of Express.

This week at UOR was possibly the worst time I’ve ever had in a theme park.
I’ll have my Express Pass bc of my Resort. My days should be pretty good, don’t you think, Mon-Wed??

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom