Need help again

tinksgilrs08

I was just wondering if anyone can tell me wherethe closest beach is from disney? I want to take my kids to the ocean and we have aouple days that we are not going to be in the parks that i can do this .. thanks a bunch

KingStefan

I'm not from that area, but if I had to guess, I'd say Cocoa Beach.

You specifically said "ocean", but there are some really beautiful beaches on the Gulf. The water is calmer and clearer and the sand is finer than the ocean.

On my past Florida vacations when we have gone to the beach, it was Satellite Beach (near Melbourne) for the ocean (a little farther than Cocoa Beach, but shorter if you take the state highway, if you don't mind that), and Clearwater Beach for the Gulf. But that was because we had family or friends nearby.

For the ocean, anywhere from Cocoa Beach past Melbourne to Vero Beach (where Disney has a resort) is great. I don't know whether you can swim at the National Park on Cape Canaveral. A bit further north is Daytona and it's surrounding beaches. Daytona is a bigger city and has a museum, and a touristy area along the beach and tourist shopping nearby the beach. That's the place to go if you like that kind of thing. You can also get a boat ride on the sound.

Clearwater Beach is really beautiful, and I'd recommend it. It's a bit farther than the ocean, but worth the trip. I don't know if maybe there is a closer location that compares. Maybe some locals can answer that. Indian Rocks Beach is nice, too. You can get a boat ride on the sound out of St. Petersburg.

Have a magical trip, and I hope you enjoy what you choose for a beach!

Upvote 0

Pioneer Hall

Daytona isn't that far. I am sure you can find a beach that has what you want, since no matter where you are in FL you are no more than 60 miles from a beach (at least that is what I heard on Traveler radio once).

Upvote 0

echoscot

Another suggestion, when we lived in Orlando as a family we would often go to New Smyrna Beach which is a little south of Daytona Beach and the drive from Disney is about the same. It used to be very family friendly but has become more commercial over the years.

On the West Coast the Sarasota area has beautiful beaches as well as Venice Pier a little further south. That is about an hour and a half or so from Disney.

Hope that helps

Upvote 0

CAPTAIN HOOK

If my Geography is correct WDW is slightly nearer to the East Coast Beaches. That said either coast is no more than a couple of hours drive, your kids will have fun whichever direction you go

Upvote 0

echoscot

If my Geography is correct WDW is slightly nearer to the East Coast Beaches. That said either coast is no more than a couple of hours drive, your kids will have fun whichever direction you go

Yes you are correct it is about 30-45 minutes to the east coast beaches and around an hour and a half to the west coast beaches...It's roughly 120 -150 miles across the state in Central Florida.

Upvote 0

KingStefan

... I don't know whether you can swim at the National Park on Cape Canaveral. ...

Apparently you can swim at Canaveral National Seashore. You enter from the north via the New Smyrna Beach causeway. A few miles south of there along the A1A highway, you enter the park. You can drive along 20 miles of undeveloped barrier island. The road dead-ends when you get to the Space Center property. There are several parking areas for beach access. I've never been there, but from the satellite images it looks lovely and secluded!

Upvote 0

DisneyChik17

Daytona is so neat! I loved the fact that you could drive and park right on the sand. And the sand was SO pretty. They say it's white, but it's pink. I live near white sand beaches, those are not white, but so pretty. It was such a neat experience and I, a big Vanilla Ice fan (DON'T LAUGH!), got to see the A-1A for the first time. LOL!

Upvote 0

maryszhi

i luv all the beaches mention, my fav=st pete beach and the don czar, but its far. id do daytona or cocoa....

daytona is where my mom went on spring break in college, and she always jokes on how daytona was the cancuun of the 70's

Upvote 0

SAV

If you do go to Clearwater Beach, make sure to stop and have a burger on the outside deck at the Palm Pavilion on the North side of the beach. Even when we stay in St. Pete Beach, we make the trip north for lunch.

Upvote 0

echoscot

If you do go to Clearwater Beach, make sure to stop and have a burger on the outside deck at the Palm Pavilion on the North side of the beach. Even when we stay in St. Pete Beach, we make the trip north for lunch.

Absolutely!!! Those are awesome...you just got me really hungry for one right now!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom