MyMagic+

heychadwick

Original Poster
Hi,

I looked up what the heck this is. I see that it's the umbrella that all technological cool things that fit into Disney. Am I wrong with this?

So, does this include all the little quest type things there are? Years ago, Epcot had a Kim Possible mission thing you could do. I hear it's now Harry the Pladipus. I read that there is some sort of quest thing at Pirates of the Carribean. I also found some little bit about some sort of spell cards or sorceror cards that is somewhere that I don't fully get. Does this all fit into the MyMagic+ stuff?

Does that mean I can ask about those things here? Am I missing anything? Can I find out more information or tips about the above mentioned ones?

Thanks!

Weather_Lady

The Perry the Platypus World Showcase scavenger hunt and the Treasures of the Seven Seas Adventureland scavenger hunt both utilize the MagicBands (your bracelet that is connected to the MyMagic stuff) in order to trigger certain little special effects. (In the old days, you swiped your Key to the World card; now it's a MagicBand. Same technology, new packaging.)

The game to which you're referring is Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom -- it's an interactive card game with stations around the Magic Kingdom. I've never played, so I can't give you any details on that. However, all of these scavenger hunts and games are considered an "attraction" in the parks in which they are located, and anyone with a valid ticket is free to enjoy them.

From what I understand, MyMagic+ is meant to combine what Key to the World cards did with the Fastpass system, Photopass and Magical Express, and make your arrangements (once "linked" to the system) accessible online. This means that your ticket information, dining plan, WDW resort room access, Magical Express arrangements, Fastpass reservations, dining reservations, Photopass (now Memory Maker) photos (if you've purchased it), and if you desire, a credit card for paying your in-park expenses, can all be linked together, and your MagicBand can be used in place of separate Key to the World Cards, Photopass cards, paper Fastpasses and DME vouchers. The online component has taken an insufferably long time to become largely glitch-free and it's not the most user-friendly system, but it's getting there.

heychadwick

Original Poster
Ahhhh....thanks!

So, do you have to buy the MagicBand? Do you have to buy it ahead of time? Or can you buy it there? Is there a preference? Can you buy used ones? Can you get them synched to you?

Weather_Lady

Ahhhh....thanks!

So, do you have to buy the MagicBand? Do you have to buy it ahead of time? Or can you buy it there? Is there a preference? Can you buy used ones? Can you get them synched to you?

If you are staying onsite, you'll be sent MagicBands ahead of your trip. Once you've set up a MyMagic+ account and linked your park tickets or reservation package number, you'll be given options to customize the MagicBands for your party (e.g., colors, names), and told when they'll be shipped. If you're staying offsite and want MagicBands, you'll have to buy them (~$12.95 apiece), online or once you arrive at WDW. In that case, you'd go ahead and set up your MyMagic+ account and make arrangements and reservations online, and then have your account information linked to the MagicBands onsite.

heychadwick

Original Poster
Thanks Rob, but I had looked at that and found it lacking. Maybe I'm dense, but having someone explain it in every day terms gets it through my thick head.

heychadwick

Original Poster
OK...one thing I can't find any info on is the special magicbands. You get some rather generic ones for free if you stay on site. They offer these limited time only magicbands, too. Is there any way to get the special ones and have them added to your stay? Do you have to pay full price for them? Or can you maybe pay a bit less if you don't get the generics? Makes sense in the normal world, but probably not at Disney.

heychadwick

Original Poster
Alright...I asked her, but she's slow.

I figured I was getting such great help from others, that I might get a faster and even better answer than with her.

Rob562

OK...one thing I can't find any info on is the special magicbands. You get some rather generic ones for free if you stay on site. They offer these limited time only magicbands, too. Is there any way to get the special ones and have them added to your stay? Do you have to pay full price for them? Or can you maybe pay a bit less if you don't get the generics? Makes sense in the normal world, but probably not at Disney.

You can only get the generic ones in connection with your hotel reservation.

But anyone can buy a specialized Band (or even another generic-color Band) and add it on to their MDE profile. Any and all bands linked to your profile can be used interchangeably. (I currently have three Bands listed on my profile and can just grab whichever one I want in the morning and use it. There's nothing needed to select which Band you're using today.) The only time you need to go in to change something is to deactivate a Band that you've lost or have no intention of using again.

When you go into a store to purchase a Band, they can either automatically link it to your MDE profile using another piece of RFID media you have that's already linked to you (another Band or your park ticket), or they can sell it in a "to be linked at a later time" status. (In that instance you'd then have to go into your MDE profile and manually enter the serial number from the Band onto your profile)

-Rob

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom