My WDW Science Project HELP!

TheDisneyQueen

Original Poster
Hey Everyone I need some help here! My Science teacher has told us to do a project that can be based on anything we like just as long as it can tie back to the unit we are learning about. Here is the sheet he gave us
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE read I really want to work on project that has to do with WDW in some way,
These two sheets below will tell u what we are learning about so if you can think of anything that has to do wdw about the information we are learning about post here PLEASE!!! I need to at least figure out by tomorrow what my project is gonna be about a general idea at least... I was think that since we are learning about photosynthesis, energy, global warming and that type of thing,I was thinking maybe I could do something about potential and kinetic energy on space Mt, thunder. and Splash... It's not very good, so please help and read the assignment below!THANK YOU so much for reading this!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v27/johnnydeppfever/Oct_03_002.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v27/johnnydeppfever/Oct_03_001.jpg

WDWScottieBoy

What about doing something with Living with the Land? You could do so much with that pavillion. You can talk about the aeroponics (sp?), the science of growing things in the air that move around and get misted and the roots hang down in midair. You could talk about the science of growing things in space and what we're doing with it. You can also talk about Kali River Rapids and the message it was originally going to have (and still has hints of) with deforrestation in the amazon. There are so many possibilities with this. I'm sure someone else has a better idea than mine.

Buzzes Dad

How about a power point presentation about conservation efforts by the WDW company and how that has impacted a reduction in new resources being used thus the prevention of global warming on a small scale.

Remember:
Waste water is purified and used for watering plants, napkins at AK ae 100% recycled material, The park benches use recycled milk jugs(forget how many it takes to make a bench, Experimental farming methods at The Land in EPCOT, The photovotaic cells that help power the Universe of Energy ride. These are the ones that I can remember off the top of my head but there are many more examples.

Hope this helps.

Also what grade is this for?

TheDisneyQueen

Original Poster
:( I am a freshman taking a sophmore class, so i really need a lot of help on this LOL, But I Have never seen living with the land I really think i would like to do something on Potential and kintetic energy but not sure what... I am not into the whole global warming thing and corporatefarming and that stuff. I think I want to do something more with energy... My homework by tomorrow is to find at least 6 peer journals at scirus.com that give me information on my topic... problem is i dunno what my topic is.... AHHHH

WDWScottieBoy

Try Universe of Energy with Ellen DeGeneres and Bill Nye the Science Guy since you have seen it. There's a lot you can do with that show/ride too. Good luck on whatever you choose, just let us know which one and we'll be here to help you the whole time on it! :wave:

Donfan

One of the more interesting things about Disneyworld, to me, has always been the way they use the water that flows through the Park area and then flows out into the rest of the Florida aquifer and on down to the Everglades. I remember seeing an article in National Geographic, must have been before the Parks opened in 1971, that showed where the water came from, how Disney processed it, and how it then moved further south. There might be something there about the overall use of water by urban areas that can then be used in wilderness wetlands without contaminating and killing all the various kinds of wildlife in a National Park.

Captain Hank

Potential and Kinetic energy, huh? Well, there's always Space and Big Thunder Mtn. They're both gravity coasters, and therefore great examples of potential and kintetic energy.

TheDisneyQueen

Original Poster
I have come to the concluscion that i will be doing my project on
Types of energy used during "The Three Mountains" (Splash Mt, Thunder Mt. and Space Mt.) in Walt Disney World, FL

I was thinking this has a lot os information on it and there are many types of energies being used... I could also even talk about for instance how WDW consereves energy by not wasting water on Splash mountain and reusing it. Friction would probably be another big part of my project as well as kinetic and potential energy... If Anyone knows of any other energies used during roller coaster please help...
For tomorrow my homework is to get 6 or more peer journals about my topic. So if you guys know of any good ones please let me know!

Thanks Angie

Captain Hank

You might try the journal "Science." I'm sure that there are also journals dedicated specifically to energies. Wind resistance also might be a force to look into in relation to roller coasters. I'm sure Splash Mtn. has its own unique set of forces, though I'm not too familiar with fluid dynamics.

Merlin

Account Suspended
Some great suggestions above! How about Mission:Space and how it uses centripedal force (or is it centrifugal force?? I can never remember which is which)?

NemoRocks78

Seized
Premium Member
Merlin said:
Some great suggestions above! How about Mission:Space and how it uses centripedal force (or is it centrifugal force?? I can never remember which is which)?

Hey now....I did a science fair project on that subject last year and took third place in the school science fair (lost at County however)..... :D

FatBoy976

Merlin said:

While I'm not sure what potential/kinetic energy has to do with what it seems like you are studying, here goes...

It's centripital force. You could talk about about g-forces and lateral forces exerted on the body throughout the ride. Potential and kinetic energies are also what drives the ride. You'll want to talk about gravity, friction, and momentum. I actually did a similar project on a college level. Let me know if you need any help with the equations. Good luck!

SpectroMan

The rollercoaster idea is great because there is so much information about it. But, I have thought of another idea. How about doing something on the building theme parks and attractions, but also not affecting the environment drastically. This is a main point about Animal Kingdom, and there should be some info. on it.

Another idea (and this is my favorite) is to do a project on EPCOT, not the theme park, the city. You could tie in the environmental issues, technology issues, and health issues.

Kadee

These are great suggestions! Exactly what kind of science class is this? Physics? Biology? Environmental? Just curious if there are limitations on the area of science because of the class.

Being a science teacher myself, I like the RollerCoaster idea. Just bring in Newton's Laws of Motion and apply them to the roller coaster workings. You could do an amazing PowerPoint and find some sort of animated Isaac Newton to use in it.

Go to Discoveryschool.com. It may give you some good info and links. I get some wonderful ideas for my classroom demonstrations and labs from there.

TheDisneyQueen

Original Poster
Thanks a lot everyone for helping here! I am still trying to get organized about what it is i am gonna do but these are AWESOME suggestions! I am in sophmore Biology right now and i'm actually a freshman so i am a little lost since most of the kids in the class have took ILS (Lab science) and i haven't but it's working out fine... I think i might need some help on this so i will be coming back here probably everyday

THANKS you guys are the best!!!!!

My fingers are crossed I hope we go on strike tomorrow so i can keep thinking about my WDW science project idea

Angie

Kadee

Since you are taking a Biology course, I'd definitely go with the hydroponics lab at Epcot. It would be more along the area of the course. I have a video of the ride with all the CM commentary, but it is on 8mm and I can not get it uploaded on the computer. Do a search and see if you can find video of the ride anywhere.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom