My Magic vs. THE Magic

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
If you don't like it, don't renew the AP. But to my knowledge the MVMCP or the Halloween one has never been included. Same for any other special event.....

Personally, I don't mind the OCCASIONAL hard-ticket event, However MVMCP is now running 4 nights per week significantly reducing the chance of an ordinary guest to enjoy the MK at night during the holidays. My earlier comment was based on all the 'special' parades and events are part of the normal entertainment at all other Disney Parks during the holidays - hence my 'cash grab' comment.

The Merch yes that is unique to the event but recently even it's been reduced to a few overpriced T-shirts $29.95 for a really THIN T I don't think so - DW and I were at last years and we skipped the merch - not worth it.

And no AP or DVC has never had free admission to the hard ticket events.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Do you enjoy the Christmas activities in Epcot? Holiday Illuminations, Christmas around the world, the Candlelight Processional? Imagine Epcot closing for select nights so you can enjoy ALL of these activities - for an additional fee of course. Hey, you've got to pay to play.

Have a specific spot you enjoy watching Wishes from? Now you can have it - for a fee. If not, you're out of luck.

Like the Food & Wine Festival? Great news! Now Epcot will close several times a month throughout the year for "Food & Wine Nights" so you don't have to wait until the Fall. But yup... it'll cost ya.

I could go on and on. I HOPE I'm being paranoid but I think Disney will keep pushing the limit to see just how much people will take. If reaction to my post is any indication, they have room to push further - and people will gladly keep paying for things that should be included in their park admission.

Sadly I agree

pax_65

Original Poster
Personally, I don't mind the OCCASIONAL hard-ticket event, However MVMCP is now running 4 nights per week significantly reducing the chance of an ordinary guest to enjoy the MK at night during the holidays.

I totally agree. I've been down for Grad Nights and Mickey's Not-so-Scary Halloween before, so I understand how the hard-ticket event works. It's fine. But when it gets too frequent it becomes an issue. It's simple economics... the more time a park is closed to me, the less value I get from my AP.

pax_65

Original Poster
It's not a party per se, but all the holiday entertainment is part of normal entry at DL, at WDW holiday entertainment is only with the Hard Ticket.

But it's not consistent across WDW. I really enjoyed Holiday Illuminations at Epcot and the Osbourne Family Lights at DHS (both included with park admission) but the only way I could see Holiday Wishes at the Magic Kingdom was to pay for MVMCP.

Weather_Lady

I'd actually be fine with a lot of these things. Especially Food & Wine. Although for that I'd rather something like keeping the schedule they have now but once a week during F&W they close it off early and have some "event". It would be nice.

And guess what, if they close park A for a select night I can either go to park B or better yet if I'm really angry I'll go to a different resort and speak with my wallet. If they want to tier off things throughout the park so be it. The free-market will resolve this. If people are willing to pay for a service then it will continue, if there's no value added then it won't happen.

I'm not advocating raising the price of tickets some crazy amount that most families can afford; however, I fail to see how having some extra perks for those with the financial means to do so is so horrible. I get that some people have this utopian view of Disney in their head where they can shelter their children from the realities of the world; however, I hate to break it to you - your precious snowflake will one day realize that life's not fair.

@psukardi, I get that you have lots of money to spend and no qualms about spending it (except when it comes to tipping waitstaff, if I recall correctly from earlier threads). :D Here's a virtual gold star for your forehead, and a seat in a first class lifeboat on the Liberty Belle. :cool:

But I don't think the gist of the OP's complaint is that WDW is offering "extra perks to those who can afford it." We're all aware (right down to my 5-year-old, who specified "name brand Barbie dolls, not knock-offs" in her list to Santa) that one who spends more money in any part of a capitalist economy is going to get more in return. However, that's not exactly the situation here: WDW isn't just offering "new" perks to those who pay more: they're pursuing a trend in which they take experiences, locations and opportunities that used to be "free" for everyone with a ticket, and make them add-on costs, thereby diminishing the value of what a standard ticket (or an annual pass) offers. Of course, "parties" in the MK were never part of the old ticket/AP amenities, but then again, they didn't used to be offered constantly, closing parks frequently and for hours to AP/ticketholders who paid full price and didn't receive a full day of park access in return, either.

Last edited:

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
@psukardi, I get that you have lots of money to spend and no qualms about spending it (except when it comes to underpaid waitstaff, if I recall correctly from earlier threads). :D Here's a virtual gold star for your forehead, and a seat in a first class lifeboat on the Liberty Belle. :cool:

But I don't think the gist of the OP's complaint is that WDW is offering "extra perks to those who can afford it." We're all aware (right down to my 5-year-old, who specified "name brand Barbie dolls, not knock-offs" in her list to Santa) that one who spends more money in any part of a capitalist economy is going to get more in return. However, that's not exactly the situation here: WDW isn't just offering "new" perks to those who pay more: they're pursuing a trend in which they take experiences, locations and opportunities that used to be "free" for everyone with a ticket, and make them add-on costs, thereby diminishing the value of what a standard ticket (or an annual pass) offers. Of course, "parties" in the MK were never part of the old ticket/AP amenities, but then again, they didn't used to be offered constantly, closing parks frequently and for hours to AP/ticketholders who paid full price and didn't receive a full day of park access in return, either.

Exactly correct @Weather_Lady, I don't mind paying extra for something NEW and unique in fact I wish there were more NEW things even at an upcharge. But when they take a perk which used to be available to everyone and stick a pricetag on it I find that offensive. Holiday Wishes is an example as is the night time Holiday Parade at MK.

JAG107

Interesting. I did not know that DLR had a christmas party that was free to regular ticketed guests.
DLR has a Christmas parade, holiday fireworks with snow at the end, and holiday overlays at Small World and Mansion. At no extra charge. No, it's not a special "party" with "free" hot chocolate and cookies, but Disneyland does Christmas way better than MK IMHO.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom