Muppets...again

Chernabog

Original Poster
Okay, so I know this rumour has been beaten to death years ago but it seems that Dean Valentine (who offered to buy the muppets) is pulling out of negotiations and that Disney has stepped right in. Once gain the disney/muppet battle rages on. The following is from muppetcentral.com

Mickey Mouse and Miss Piggy may get together after all.

Walt Disney Co. and other contenders are back in talks to buy Kermit the Frog and his Muppet friends from Germany's EM.TV & Merchandising AG, sources familiar with the situation said on Friday.

A Disney spokesman declined to comment and EM.TV, which announced the end of another set of talks earlier on Friday, could not be reached immediately.

A deal would end a multi-year Muppet odyssey in which Kermit, Miss Piggy and their friends, the singing, acting and joke-cracking puppets created by the late Jim Henson, have looked for a permanent corporate home.

Disney has appeared on the verge of taking them in at least twice, including last December.

EM.TV paid $680 million for Jim Henson Co. in March 2000, after a deal between Disney and Henson fell through. EM.TV has since sold off chunks of the company, which also created Big Bird and other characters from the educational children's television series Sesame Street.

One source said a $70 million Muppet deal between Disney and EM.TV, which needs funds to make debt payments, could be announced as early as next week, but others said a deal was not that close and there were still other contenders.

EM.TV said earlier on Friday that it and a group of investors led by media executive Dean Valentine had called off talks on the sale of a 49.9 percent stake of the Henson U.S. subsidiary.

But Valentine told Reuters on Friday that he was talking about other ways to structure a Muppet deal with the German company. "We're very much in the middle and anticipate we will be successful," he said.

The source who expected a deal shortly said Disney had offered $70 million in cash for the rights to the Muppet movie catalog and characters but not for Henson's special-effects workshop, the Creature Shop.

But another contender for the Muppets, Classic Media, is still in talks to buy a minority stake of Henson, sources said, and billionaire Haim Saban was seen as potentially interested, although he has been focused lately on a separate bid to acquire insolvent German television group KirchMedia.

Disney already has Muppet attractions at some of its theme parks and has cooperated on some of the Muppet movies. Kermit and Miss Piggy would join a pantheon of characters that Disney created or controls, including Mickey Mouse, Winnie the Pooh and Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.

Shares of Disney rose 7 cents to $15.72 on the New York Stock Exchange on Friday

Pioneer Hall

I think that it would be good for Disney if they get the muppets. I just don't know if this is the best time for them to do it. There stock has been taking lately and the last thing they should do is make a major investment in something.

MicBat

If Disney were not to get the Muppets, would the show remain at MGM and other Disney parks or is it in part of a whole other contract? :confused:

bhg469

Originally posted by MicBat
If Disney were not to get the Muppets, would the show remain at MGM and other Disney parks or is it in part of a whole other contract? :confused:

i would think that the attraction would stay, it would probably just effect the movies. on the subject of muppets, if disney owns the muppets does that mean there may be som fraggles at the parks or dare is say it DOOZERS!!!

jcrb

If the company did not get the Muppets, I think the attraction would still be there. Disney has recently created a clone Muppets attraction a D C A. I don't think Disney would invest so much money in DCA clone to have it pulled out.

The other thing I wonder about is what about Bear in the Big Blue House- that is also a JH character.

jcrb

oh no the Muppets are taking over.

Watch your heads when you enter the park.

Mickey Mouse is now Rizzo the rat.

"Ladies and Gentlemen I have an unexpected surprise. I have the great honor of introducing the one the only Mr. Mickey Mouse!"

spagofreep

I think this would be a great idea for Disney to do. I have felt for a very long time that the Muppet show needs to come back, There are a ton of people of my age group (early thirties) that loved this show then and would love to see it again.

GoofMaul

Originally posted by spagofreep
I think this would be a great idea for Disney to do. I have felt for a very long time that the Muppet show needs to come back, There are a ton of people of my age group (early thirties) that loved this show then and would love to see it again.

I agree. The muppets could be a big boost for ABC. :sohappy:

hallowboy11

Is anyone else surprised that Disney doesn't want to buy the Henson Creature shop??? Think about all the fantastic opportunities they would have by acquiring this...

prberk

I think that Disney should buy the whole thing, including the Creature Shop, but even without that it is a great match. People still love the muppets (as the latest MasterCard commercials demonstrate), and they would be great for Disney.

Besides, before he died, Jim Henson himself was in negotiations to sell the Muppets to Disney, and that was because he thought that Disney was the company best suited to keep up his Muppets into perpetuity.

And bring back something like The Muppet Show on ABC. They could replace one of the 47 repeats of America's Funniest Videos each week. It would be great for starting to rebuild a TGIF family night on Friday (which ABC needs to go back to, anyway).....

wdwmaniac

I think disney would end up buying all of Jim Henson in some kind of deal with EM.TV/Kerch Media. But if they don't atleast they would get the muppets maybe we could see a rebirth of the whole gang and create another Pooh franchise (books, movies, clothes, TV shows, Thing of the possiblties.

figmentmom

I love the Muppets!!! I would love to see a Disney/Muppet combination, as long as the spirit remains true to Jim Henson's original vision.

WDWspider

You know I feel it is inevitable that the Muppets and Disney will get together someday. It just seems that Fate is having a lot of fun with the two franchises.

bhg469

i dont care what happens i just want to keep muppets 3d and i DEMAND a fraggle show featuring the doozers! HEY EISNER get some doozers up in this park!!!!

jcrb

Originally posted by spagofreep

Originally posted by GoofMaul
I agree. The muppets could be a big boost for ABC. :sohappy:

Than -What was Muppet Tonight?

It was on TGIF on ABC

wdwmaniac

Originally posted by GoofMaul
I agree. The muppets could be a big boost for ABC.
posted by GoofMaul

But if you look at the Muppets Christmas speical on NBC the ratings were no were near great. But I think It would help Disney Channel and ABC Family more than ABC.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom