(Mulan-Themed) Epcot Coaster

TheChop_King

Original Poster
Here's an idea I wish Disney would build.

Ride Name: MUSHU THE DRAGON
A medium-sized metal coaster themed after Mushu from Disney's Mulan. It could be built somewhere in or behind the China pavillion at EPCOT.

This coaster would be family-friendly, meaning that it wouldn't contain any inversions or super-large drops. Just a fun thrill ride like Big Thunder at MK. The cars would be designed to resemble Mushu's character. The track would be red, and would take screaming passengers through beautifully designed Chinese landscapes. Through caves, past waterfalls, through Chinese gardens, fountains and themed buildings, all resembling the architecture of ancient China.

Just as MK's Big Thunder Mtn has some creative scenes and characters that passengers zoom by, this ride too, will have its share of off-ride scenery. During the ride, guests should be on the look-out for sneeky, sword-drawn Hun warriors who peek out from behind some statues and buildings. As the vehicle passes through the Chinese gardens, guests might get a glimpse at Mulan herself, sitting on a bench next to her Father.

After the train(dragon) lands back at the station and unloads guests, they exit through a shop with collectibles and other merchandise from the Mulan film. The waiting area for this ride would lead guests through a building designed like an ancient Chinese royal palace(much smaller version, of course), complete with ancient paintings & statues on the walls.

Before boarding the dragon-train, guests will enter a pre-show area designed like the hut where all of Mulan's ancestors & guardians came to life in the film. The statues of the same guardians will be sitting around the ceiling of this hut, telling guests they have a mission to protect Mulan and her family. The guardians will also warn the guests about the ride basics(expecting mothers shouldn't take the journey, keep hands & arms inside vehicle, etc). After that, it's time to board Mushu the Dragon!

Legacy

Nice idea... but two questions

1. Is there enough room in the China area for a ride this elaborate?

2. Is Disney interested in spending the money on such an elaborate ride themed to the movie that wasnt that much of a success?

Dont get me wrong, I love the idea. But I think I've been reading too many of Chad's post and I too now look at the business side of things.

(Sorry if I beat you on this one Chad, you still rule)

TheChop_King

Original Poster
Good point kicker about the amount of space. I doubt it could fit inside the pavillion. Would there be enough room behind it? Not sure what Epcot has behind many of the different countries.

Maybe Epcot could leave the Mulan theme out of the ride if they thought the film wasn't big enough to draw long lines. Perhaps just a red metal coaster going through Chinese gardens and architecture.

TURKEY

It's not a bad idea, but don't look for a ride based solely on Mulan. In fact, it's pretty good.

I'm a business/econ major and this doesn't make financial sense to build.

1. Personally I don't think there is enough room behind China. The boats and RoE barges are housed right behind China. Either the ride would be relatively small (probally similar to Primeval Whirl size) or something will have to be demolished or moved to fit a ride in.

2. Mulan wasn't a success at the box office. This ride would need to be built from scratch. Atlantis was a better movie and did better at the box office and could have used the 20K lagoon as a base for a ride. Nothing has happened or will happen with Atlantis because it wasn't a success.

It’s a pretty good idea, good story tie in and coasters are never easy to do that with but there are a few kinks:

1) Why are we riding a miniature dragon? In Mulan unless I have a very bad memory Mushi never becomes the size for anyone to ride on

2) Something more needs to be done to the track other than just painting it red, if you are going to go to all the trouble of building beautiful Chinese gardens why put in a blaring red steel track with supports?

3) I am not sure if Disney really wants to Disneyfy WS, it seems other than occasional character meet and greets, it has stayed away from Disney movie rides. Perhaps MK would be a better place, in either Adventurland or Fantasyland

This idea has some good potential there are just a few kinks that need to be worked out :)

DCA Fan

I suppose you could create a steel mini coaster, much like Gadget's Go Coaster and fit it slightly behind the pavilion, but surround it with Chinese gardens.

Bairstow

I'm not to jazzed about the idea of a permanent attraction based on a movie as forgettable as Mulan, but I have to defend red as a color choice for the track. In a lot of Chinese landscaping red is the color most ofen used for gates and posts. It would make sense to have the "dragon" rollercoaster colored like a dragon and the red supports wouldn't look that out of place in the themed area if they were proplerly stylized. Besides, it's a rule, ALL Chinese-themed coasters have to be red. There's the Ninja at Six Flags over Georgia, the Imperial Dragon in Germany, etc. etc...

It is also a rule made by the creator of the theme park, Mr. Disney, that Rollercoaster track must not be shown unless it can be tied into the theme(Ex. Califonia Screaming-Boardwalk Carnival theme)

Chad

I saw 'Roller coaster' and 'Epcot' in the same line, and almost fainted. Needless to say, I have to change my undergarments.

1. Epcot should NEVER get a roller coaster, unless it is an immaculately themed one, with NO visible track, and that is compeltely housed indoors, and has a coherent, educational, and important storyline.

2. World Showcase should be devoid of all Disney Movie references (with the exception of occasional meet and greets, and the American Pavillion, because Disney is, well, american.) Simply because it is about culuture, and giving a country with as rich of a history and culture as China a ride centered on Mulan, is well, disrespectful to that country. Remember, whatever goes in that pavillion REPRESENTS china. I'd imagine there is a Dragon Story that one could adapt just as well to this..China is filled with many fanciful creatures (the three-legged frog and the dog statues whose names escape me) along with the Samurai, ai'm sure you could develop a great ride using those themes

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom