MS:passenger loading?

pyschotropic

Original Poster
To anyone who has had the chance to experience Mission Space I was curious as to how they are loading passengers in to the ride cabins without seeing the centrifuge?

Coaster Guy

After the queue, you go into a fairly large room with 39 of your closest friends, relatives and strangers from the park (so 40 people in all). You are lined up on numbers: 10 rows 4 people per row. Then you watch a preshow involving a familiar celebrity. After the preshow is over, the group splits up and goes out 2 doors (groups 6-10 go to the right, and 1-5 go out the left door) you walk around a hallway and get to other numbers where you watcha shorter video (safety video). Then the doors open and you enter the actual room with the centrifuge. at this point you can see everything in the centrifuge (it is smaller than you might expect). Then you enter your pod and things start to get exciting from there. To answer your question, once youa re there in the room, you can se the centrifuge. They don't hde it or even try to. The theming is that you are at the International Space Training Center (ISTC) and so you are in training. They never say you are going into space, just training to go. So they don't have to hide it, it is the training facility.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Originally posted by DisneyWorld30th
So there are 10 other pods going at the same time.

That must mean they all start and end at the same time.

When complete, there will be 4 ride bays, each with 10 capsules. Each set of 10 capsules will start and end at the same time. However, each ride bay may begin its cycle at different times.

ucf disneyfan

Originally posted by pyschotropic
What about the visual display monitors in the cabins that present your view of space are they just high definition or 3D?

I don't know what they were, but it was definately a crisp, bright picture. The preshow monitors are plasma screens, also giving you a good picture. Overall the ride is unlike anything you've ever done before.

DisneyWorld30th

Just be the early explanations, it sounds like it will load simular to Back to the Future in Universal.

Big preshow room with people seperated into 10 small groups, then the 10 groups are put into a private room with a safety video

AndyMagic

Originally posted by Coaster Guy
After the queue, you go into a fairly large room with 39 of your closest friends, relatives and strangers from the park (so 40 people in all). You are lined up on numbers: 10 rows 4 people per row. Then you watch a preshow involving a familiar celebrity. After the preshow is over, the group splits up and goes out 2 doors (groups 6-10 go to the right, and 1-5 go out the left door) you walk around a hallway and get to other numbers where you watcha shorter video (safety video). Then the doors open and you enter the actual room with the centrifuge. at this point you can see everything in the centrifuge (it is smaller than you might expect). Then you enter your pod and things start to get exciting from there. To answer your question, once youa re there in the room, you can se the centrifuge. They don't hde it or even try to. The theming is that you are at the International Space Training Center (ISTC) and so you are in training. They never say you are going into space, just training to go. So they don't have to hide it, it is the training facility.
According to MKT, the theme of the ride can be taken either way, depending on what you want to believe. I am confused as to all those M:S postcard videos on the internet showing the person's face on an astronauts body. The headline says, "ISTC cadet lands on Mars." Why would it say this if the theme of the attraction is to just be a simulation. It seems like the ride itself is very ambiguous when it comes to whether or not it is supposed to be a simulation. Everything seems to contradict itself. For example, the CM's say, "See you in 3 months," which would indicate it is a real mission. Yet when you land on Mars, the doors open and you are on Earth again. They should pick a storyline instead of mixing the two.

RnRCJohn

They don't hde it or even try to. The theming is that you are at the International Space Training Center (ISTC) and so you are in training. They never say you are going into space, just training to go. So they don't have to hide it, it is the training facility.

I am highly disapointed to hear that :(. They should have made it so it seems like your actually on a space mission and not just training :veryconfu :( :cry:

RnRCJohn:(

ucf disneyfan

Originally posted by DisneyWorld30th
Just be the early explanations, it sounds like it will load simular to Back to the Future in Universal.

Big preshow room with people seperated into 10 small groups, then the 10 groups are put into a private room with a safety video

It does sorta load like Back to the Future. But the simulator is very different. Each person has their own individual screen to look at, instead of everyone looking at one giant screen.

Dayma

I don't know what they were, but it was definately a crisp, bright picture. The preshow monitors are plasma screens, also giving you a good picture. Overall the ride is unlike anything you've ever done before.

It most definetly is HDTV tech.. This was talked about somewhere else but I can remember where..

CTXRover

Originally posted by RnRCJohn
I am highly disapointed to hear that :(. They should have made it so it seems like your actually on a space mission and not just training :veryconfu :( :cry:

RnRCJohn:(

From all the reviews, the actual experience seems to be about as realistic to being shot into space as you can get without being an astronaut. I think it is smarter to do it as a training facility. In my opinion, as "normal people" we obviously aren't astronauts and thus we really shouldn't be manning a "real" space mission.

Apparently the whole theme of the place is to make it a training facility. CMs saying, "see you in 3 months" is just a cute phrase, but if it does confuse the theme, maybe they should drop it. This kind of thing though doesn't make or break a ride. For instance, on Kilamanjaro Safari the tour guide will often say we are on a 2 week expedition, obviously we aren't, but it doesn't take away from the experience.

Just my 2 cents. :)

I don't really want to critique the ride quite yet though until I ride it myself :)

Centrifugeer

Originally posted by blackride
It most definetly is HDTV tech.. This was talked about somewhere else but I can remember where..

It's actually better than HDTV. The viewport is an LCD screen reflected through a mirror. When you look at the viewport at an angle as you sit down in the capsule you can see the mirror. The screen resolution, I think, is 1024x768x32. That may be anti-aliased, although with a pre-rendered scene it's probably not necessary.

So far one person has blown chunks in a capsule. Another left a present in the courtyard outsise M: S. Reportedly, an ambulance had to come for another person. I don't know much more than that but, there was no damage done and I imagine that person probably shouldn't have been riding M: S in the first place. Supposedly it was a pre-existing condition type of thing.

Overall it's just a fantastic ride. I've ridden it more than a few times now and the feeling of the skin tightening on your cheek, and the corners of your lips pulling back, is nothing short of incredibile. Even if it is touted as simulation, it still doesn't disappoint.

My only wish is that they make one of the ride rooms an extreme version of the ride. One that pulled more G's than normal. Maybe you'd have to qualify by taking a preset number of rides before you could do the extreme version? Surely they're nowhere close to maxing out the ride equipment? An even more intense version of M: S would be off the scale.

CTXRover

Centrifugeer, how many people, total, do you think have ridden it so far? Of that, what percentage have gotten sick? I've read everything from it being extremely intense to somewhat tame, depending on that person's opinion and, I suppose, their thrill ride background. Are there enough people getting sick that it could result in changes or, dare I say, delays in its opening to guests or are the people getting sick such a small amount that it isn't a huge concern?

ucf disneyfan

I don't think they should tame it down. It definatly is alot of G forces on your body, but thats what makes it so great. As long as you keep your head facing forward people shouldn't be getting sick. They'll just come out of the ride with a disoriented feeling in their body. They only problem I see is people getting chlostraphobic. They really pack you inside the pod like sardines. And they tell you over and over that once the doors close there is no getting out. I can picture someone freaking out 30 seconds into the ride.

I have a question...what do the CM's who load the pods do when the ride is in motion? Do they go behind the door where you eneter the centrifuge room? can they watch the centriguge and the motion of the pods? (that would be cool to see!) And if not, is there CCTV watching the cetrifuge? might be too early for these questions though.

PhotoDave219

Well, if you dont load up with every junk food and heavy stuff right before you go on it, you should be fine. It seems like common sense to me....

sillyspook13

Originally posted by CTXRover
Centrifugeer, how many people, total, do you think have ridden it so far? Of that, what percentage have gotten sick? I've read everything from it being extremely intense to somewhat tame.....
Same here. My mom keeps telling me that "People were throwing up all over the place! Everybody got sick, but all the people I talked to loved it!" (Please note, she hasn't been on the ride, but she works in the same building as the imagineers.)

Yet I've also heard that it wasn't that bad???:veryconfu

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom