Movies to watch before visiting

crazgurl

Original Poster
Hey everyone!! Starting to think about my next (4th) trip to the world for my 30th birthday (October 1st 2016!!) And it will be my boyfriends first trip to the world... thinking it will be fun to watch movies over the next year like pirates of the caribbean or Indiana Jones. .. thought it would be fun to see what other movies you guys would list as must see before this trip!

WelshBatman

You can do the other attraction based movies like The Haunted Mansion,Tower of Terror, or Country Bears (though I would skip that one). I made it a point to watch all the movies in the old pre-show area for The Great Movie Ride. You could watch Mission to Mars and see the gravity wheel that's in the Mission: Space queue. There's Dinosaur and A Bug's Life for Animal Kingdom. Star Wars of course. My niece and nephews love it when I make them watch movies before going to a specific park (we call it doing homework).

ShoalFox

In the Parks
Yes
I assume you want to understand everything you see going on in the parks. I'm going to list a lot, but just watch what you're willing and able to watch.
In general, you should see the popular animated movies. Just a warning: this includes A LOT of princess movies. Other movies you should see I'll list by park.

For MK: Monsters Inc. and Lilo & Stitch for Tomorrowlan; Fantasyland is where these princess movies come into play as well as Alice in Wonderland, Dumbo, Peter Pan, and either Winnie the Pooh movie; for Adventureland, the only movie that would help to watch would be Aladdin (and only marginally); Frontierland and Liberty Square don't really have any movies that could be applicable. The movies referenced in the Main Street Electrical Parade are the Tinkerbell series, Dumbo, Alice in Wonderland, Cinderella, Peter Pan, Snow White, Pinocchio, and Pete's Dragon.

In Epcot, all that would apply would be Finding Nemo, The Lion King, The Three Caballeros and/or Saludos Amigos, and soon, Frozen.

Hollywood Studios has way too many to list. Star Wars and Indiana Jones would be a big help (unless Indy's show closes).

For Animal Kingdom, you could watch A Bug's Life, The Lion King (again), and DINOSAUR (from 2000).

I've listed way too much and I doubt you'll watch all of them, so just pick and choose if anything I listed appeals to you. I hope this helps!

crazgurl

Original Poster
You can do the other attraction based movies like The Haunted Mansion,Tower of Terror, or Country Bears (though I would skip that one). I made it a point to watch all the movies in the old pre-show area for The Great Movie Ride. You could watch Mission to Mars and see the gravity wheel that's in the Mission: Space queue. There's Dinosaur and A Bug's Life for Animal Kingdom. Star Wars of course. My niece and nephews love it when I make them watch movies before going to a specific park (we call it doing homework).

Thanks for the replies!! I was actually inspired to do our homework by the great movie ride but I didn't do that one when I went in 2009 and my memory from my trip when I was 12 isn't much... what movies would we be talking about?

Disney4family

Don't forget to watch your free WDW DVD!!! Our favorite is the one everyone mentions here for the "Happiest Celebration on Earth". We just call it "Dave".

We also enjoy the ones you can pick up in the parks (and probably amazon) - Imagineering the Magic (Magic Kingdom), The History Channel - WDW, The Secrets, Stories and Magic Behind the Scenes -Disney Parks - Where Dreams Come True (which has 6 DVDs - WDW Resort Behind the Scenes, Undiscovered Disney Parks, Ultimate WDW, Disney's Animal Kingdom, Disney Cruise Line, Disneyland Resort Behind the Scenes) and the actual WDW DVDs on each individual park.

ShoalFox

In the Parks
Yes
A list of every movie in the GMR (as of July 5) can be found here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Great_Movie_Ride#Films_and_soundtrack
Only the movies in the table have ride scenes. The ones in the big list are only shown as brief clips during the ride's ending montage.

To get specific about princess movies : Beauty and the Beast, The Little Mermaid, Brave, Mulan, Pocahontas, Snow White, and Cinderella (as far as I know) all have a show, ride, or meet & greet at one of the parks.

JennSmith

So we started planning our vacation at 477 days out, (I cannot believe how fast time has flown...56 days left :)). Anyway we made little picture cut outs of the DVD covers of as many Disney classics and not so classics that we could think of and threw them in a jar. Most titles we actually owned and the few that we didn't we could rent, netflix, etc. Each week we picked one from the jar and whatever we picked, we watched. Bambi was the first. If it was a series of movies like Pirates or Toy Story, we just watched them in chronological order and not the order we picked. I know I am not giving you specific movie options but we found this to be very fun!
10588710_10154444014510650_1752624164_n.jpg

WelshBatman

If you go through the montage at the end you'll still be watching movies for the next 20 years... I only meant the ones whose trailers were shown in the old pre-show. Keep in mind that the pre-show is changed now so the trailers aren't there. But those movies are

Footlight Parade (James Cagney film)
The Searchers (John Wayne)
Mary Poppins (Julie Andrews)
Fantasia
Alien (Sigourney Weaver)
Raiders of the Lost Ark (Harrison Ford)
Singin' In the Rain (Gene Kelly)
Casablanca (Humphrey Bogart)

This pre-show is gone but the movies are still represented in the ride (more or less, I mean The Searchers isn't but John Wayne is there).

Bedknobs and Broomsticks

So we started planning our vacation at 477 days out, (I cannot believe how fast time has flown...56 days left :)). Anyway we made little picture cut outs of the DVD covers of as many Disney classics and not so classics that we could think of and threw them in a jar. Most titles we actually owned and the few that we didn't we could rent, netflix, etc. Each week we picked one from the jar and whatever we picked, we watched. Bambi was the first. If it was a series of movies like Pirates or Toy Story, we just watched them in chronological order and not the order we picked. I know I am not giving you specific movie options but we found this to be very fun!
10588710_10154444014510650_1752624164_n.jpg
We started planning 698 days ago... and we also have 56 days to go!!!!

WelshBatman

People seem to be throwing out generic Disney movies. Perhaps I misunderstood, I was thinking about movies pertaining to attractions in the parks. Are we talking about just any Disney movie or ones that have some relevance to the parks?

LeeSeeBabe

We watch as many as we can in the weeks leading up to our trip. A lot have been covered, but some movies that make us feel the Disneh nostalgia are The Lion King, Aladdin, Little Mermaid, Finding Nemo, Cinderella.

crazgurl

Original Poster
People seem to be throwing out generic Disney movies. Perhaps I misunderstood, I was thinking about movies pertaining to attractions in the parks. Are we talking about just any Disney movie or ones that have some relevance to the parks?
Yes exactly what I meant but reading some of these responses has been a lot of fun!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom