News More EV charging stations are coming to Disney Springs - September 2022

TehPuddingMan

This is something that is much needed. Each parking structure only has like 4 charging stalls and it’s almost impossible to get a spot.

I hope that it will be ChargePoint but the DS garages use the ChargeUp network which really, really sucks.

wishiwere@wdw

Nice to see but unfortunately, I suspect these will probably also be the Reedy Creek chargers just like the garage which use the ChargeUp app. About time though. They could probably add 20+ to each of the parks as well.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
These wouldn’t be the VW settlement DC fast chargers that were awarded to Disney?
The chart has the address as Disney Springs for four chargers and was awarded last summer.

Are these VW settlement chargers? I thought creating Electrify America was VW's charger settlement.

mkt

Premium Member
So what Disney going to charge for this charge can't imagine Disney would give free electricity way.
If it's like the parks, 35 cents per KWH with a $1.50 minimum, plus a $5 idle fee per hour if it's like Studios.

If it's like Disney Springs, 35 cents per KWH and a 50 cent + 5% fee, with a $1 minimum.

CJR

If it's like the parks, 35 cents per KWH with a $1.50 minimum, plus a $5 idle fee per hour if it's like Studios.

If it's like Disney Springs, 35 cents per KWH and a 50 cent + 5% fee, with a $1 minimum.

I don't mind asking people to move their cars once they're charged, but in a lot of cases, you'd have to leave the parking lot, drive around property, and re-enter the parking lot to get to an open space, at which point you've wasted a bit of your charge. It's not practical with the current parking setup. They'd need spaces people can easily move to. Disney Springs is much easier though unless it's just an insanely crowded day.

mkt

Premium Member
I don't mind asking people to move their cars once they're charged, but in a lot of cases, you'd have to leave the parking lot, drive around property, and re-enter the parking lot to get to an open space, at which point you've wasted a bit of your charge. It's not practical with the current parking setup. They'd need spaces people can easily move to. Disney Springs is much easier though unless it's just an insanely crowded day.

At MK it's annoying due to the distance to the TTC, but at Hollywood Studious, Epcot, and Animal Kingdom it's not so horrible. In all the parks there's usually open spots at the parts of the lot closest to the EV chargers. At Studios and AK in particular, they'll let you park at the spots closest to the EV chargers so you can move your car to a charger later in the day if one isn't available at the moment. At MK they'll usually wave you through once you say you've got an EV. Its Epcot that's the strictest about this - they will have a CM check availability before allowing you through to the EV spots.

One solution I've suggested before, which would work well for MK, is offering a full hour grace period on idle fees and a lightning lane extension (if you miss a reservation) while moving your car.

MrPromey

At MK it's annoying due to the distance to the TTC, but at Hollywood Studious, Epcot, and Animal Kingdom it's not so horrible. In all the parks there's usually open spots at the parts of the lot closest to the EV chargers. At Studios and AK in particular, they'll let you park at the spots closest to the EV chargers so you can move your car to a charger later in the day if one isn't available at the moment. At MK they'll usually wave you through once you say you've got an EV. Its Epcot that's the strictest about this - they will have a CM check availability before allowing you through to the EV spots.

One solution I've suggested before, which would work well for MK, is offering a full hour grace period on idle fees and a lightning lane extension (if you miss a reservation) while moving your car.

What about if they also located these near the back of the lots?

That way, except for the busiest days, parking would be available around them or better yet, that area could easily be configured like handicapped to accommodate a loop around to the center where someone could easily drive over to regular parking without having to effectively exit and return?

This would of course, also require the courtesy trams always be running - as they should be - but by putting them in a place that many guest would otherwise deem undesirable for parking, it seems like it would be easy to expand towards the front of the lots as time goes on and electric becomes the more common setup.

Clearly, in the long-term a new way of doing this all will need to be figured out because it's kind of impractical to be expected to exit a park and go back to your car to move it mid-day (especially at the MK) or be charged a fee while occupying a limited space for charging that someone else may want/need but we're obviously not yet at an adoption point where more work on that problem is likely worth the effort to implement.

Still though, it's nice to see them doing something with all of this.

mkt

Premium Member
What about if they also located these near the back of the lots?

It’d make moving your car once it’s charged a massive pain. Also, it could make installing chargers more expensive if there isn’t existing electrical infrastructure there.

However if there was a large section of chargers further back where you could leave your car plugged in all day without idle fees, that’d work fine.

Last edited:

DisneyCane

It’d make moving your car once it’s charged a massive pain. Also, it could make installing chargers more expensive if there isn’t existing electrical infrastructure there.

However if there was a large section of chargers further back where you could leave your car plugged in all day without idle fees, that’d work fine.
They could have daylight only chargers and use the electrical infrastructure from the parking lot lights. I don't think it can handle charging and lighting simultaneously unless it was WAY over specified for lighting.

Club Cooloholic

Do you honestly think they can get an lightning lane extension system put in on their app? I find that app basic/frustrating enough at times, no way they would develop something that would interface with the chargers to track this, considering the cost of such and endeavor vs. the amount of people who it actually effects.
What would help more is having more or some chargers at the hotels. It's ridiculous that the Poly has no chargers.

bhg469

They could have daylight only chargers and use the electrical infrastructure from the parking lot lights. I don't think it can handle charging and lighting simultaneously unless it was WAY over specified for lighting.
They definitely have room for large battery banks and a solar array to cover a lot of spaces. It would be a win win.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom