Monorail - New Extensions?

SilentRascal

Account Suspended
Original Poster
Does anyone have any idea whether the rumors of the monorail extensions from the TTC to Animal Kingdom and MGM are true? I think it would be a great idea if they did do this.

NowInc

Well...they WERE true..but it seems the idea has been put on hold once again...

Originally...they had planned to build a more centralized TTC and have monorails going to all parks and downtown disney...but that is a VERY expensive process...

They were seriously considering doing it about a year ago..and even were going as far as discussing a "fee" to ride the monorail to help cover the costs....

NowInc

Originally posted by SilentRascal
Thanks for the welcome, I hope to be around for quite a while. Can't get enough Disney info.

hehe...well then you came to the right place ;)

MicBat

I've got an electrical monorail that goes around my room. It goes through a little contemporary and everything. You can even buy extension and make it go anywhere you want it to. I think that's the closest you'll get to monorail extension. I know I'm a dork, but welcome to the forum, SilentRascal!

NowInc

Originally posted by MicBat
I've got an electrical monorail that goes around my room. It goes through a little contemporary and everything. You can even buy extension and make it go anywhere you want it to. I think that's the closest you'll get to monorail extension. I know I'm a dork, but welcome to the forum, SilentRascal!

LoL..that is most definatly the strangest post I have seen in a loooong time,,,:sohappy:

SilentRascal

Account Suspended
Original Poster
Speaking of the monorail, has anyone else noticed a particularly pungeant smell when you step on board? I remember back in '93 some of us got to ride in the front car with the conductor back from Epcot to the TTC and it smelled in there like the worst B.O. you could ever come across. This past trip, back in September, I rode the monorail a few times and still noticed it doesn't smell particularly appealing in the cars.

NowInc

Speaking of the monorail, has anyone else noticed a particularly pungeant smell when you step on board? I remember back in '93 some of us got to ride in the front car with the conductor back from Epcot to the TTC and it smelled in there like the worst B.O. you could ever come across. This past trip, back in September, I rode the monorail a few times and still noticed it doesn't smell particularly appealing in the cars.

Blame that on under-hygenic guests ;)

When I was down there in August I asked a few CM's at the Yacht Club if they were ever going to expand the monorail. They pretty much said that they would tear it down before they would expand it. Supposedly the only reason it is there is because people would get upset if it got torn down. From what I was told, it is too expensive to run it and they prefer the use of buses since you can get everywhere on them anywhere.

SilentRascal

Account Suspended
Original Poster
I hope that's not true, that they'd tear it all out first. I enjoy riding the monorails, they're more enjoyable to ride than the buses, and are more prompt too.

I agree 100% Silent, I was a little shocked to hear that as well... but just relaying what I heard...

they will never tear it down since so many people enjoy it, plus it's one of the parks icons... just goes to show that they have no plans to expand it though :(

NowInc

I hope that's not true, that they'd tear it all out first. I enjoy riding the monorails, they're more enjoyable to ride than the buses, and are more prompt too.

They are not going anywhere...they ARE pricey to keep running..but it would be much more costly to transport the guests by any other means...

dizpins14

You can't always believe what a CM says. I was leaving EPCOT on New Years eve last year with the Millinium Cel. over he ways saying that all merchandice that says 2000 was going to be destroyed and all the decorations. He also said the same thing happened at the end of the 25th ann. Needless to say we were upset to hear this. Couple month later we go to Bellz factory Outlet mall the whole place wass filled with 2000 merchandice. They would never tear down the monorail because then no one would come back to the park.

NowInc

Originally posted by dizpins14
You can't always believe what a CM says. I was leaving EPCOT on New Years eve last year with the Millinium Cel. over he ways saying that all merchandice that says 2000 was going to be destroyed and all the decorations. He also said the same thing happened at the end of the 25th ann. Needless to say we were upset to hear this. Couple month later we go to Bellz factory Outlet mall the whole place wass filled with 2000 merchandice. They would never tear down the monorail because then no one would come back to the park.

9 times out of 10 the CMS are left in the dark about whats really going on..it helps keep rumors to a minimum (yuo really expect everyone who makes as little as they do to not say anything?)

The monorail is not getting destroyed...for pure logical reasoning..think of this::

You take allll those people who take the monorail at the end of each day

Put them alllll in line to ride bus's that seat maybe 100 at a time...

compaired to a monorail that can easily hold 5 times more than that

That equals big crouds and more headaches...

Monorail Lime

With the right crew on the platform and decent drivers the monorails can move about 300 guests/min during Magic Kingdom closes. There is no way buses could do that. They would have to move all of the parking closer to the Magic Kingdom before they could get rid of the monorail.

And yes, many of the guests in the front cab have horrible B.O. I bet you do too after being in the park all day in the summer. The air conditioner in the front cab does not cycle out odors very well. Quite tragic for those poor unfortunate monorail pilots.

DisneyPhD

Originally posted by Monorail Lime
With the right crew on the platform and decent drivers the monorails can move about 300 guests/min during Magic Kingdom closes. There is no way buses could do that. They would have to move all of the parking closer to the Magic Kingdom before they could get rid of the monorail.

Apparently we didn't have the right crew on the platform a couple of weeks ago. On Saturday night, right at closing, they were only letting people taking the resort monorail get on the second half of the monorail even though there were thousands in line. It took over an hour to get back to the Poly (and we left shortly before the park closed). There were people in the first half of the monorail presumably heading to the other hotels for dinner but those cars were far from full.
Staying at the poly was great for getting to Epcot though with a short walk to TTC then the direct monorail to the park.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom