Monorail Expansion...maybe..

tk421-sw

Original Poster
I know this has been tlaked about, but TWO Monorail CM's that I talked to said that what they have heard was that the plan was to expand it to MGM ad AK. Of Course who knows if or when this might take place, but at least the Cast mambers are talking about it.
They have the monorail down to the resort one, and he said "Take this one to the resorts, and to busses, and to parking..."
I said something like...
"Wish I could take it to MGM!"
and he replied,
"Not yet, but maybe within the next year!"
and I said,
"Really"
and he replied,
"That's the plan"

So why knows.. It does seem that it's a much better transportation device then going on the busses, well more convienent anyways, and more fun!

Thrawn

Account Suspended
tk421-sw said:
I know this has been tlaked about

Yes it has. Pages, and pages, and pages of it.

tk421-sw said:
It does seem that it's a much better transportation device then going on the busses, well more convienent anyways, and more fun!

No, it isn't. You can't add capacity to a monorail, and what happens if one of the trains breaks down at say, the AK station? Then no other trains can get in. Whereas, if a bus breaks down, you send another bus.

Its also not more convienent. What hotels would you do? You can't do all of them. Where would you put the stops at the hotels? In front? Well, thats fine, except for the people who have to walk all the way from the back of the resort. That can be a long walk at some of the resorts, like Coronado Springs, and Port Orleans Riverside, just to name two.

Fact is, expansion of the monorail to include the other parks would cost in the billions of dollars. As a shareholder, I would be extremely upset if they spent that amount of money on something that is going to have $0 on the return of investment.

Now, someone close this.

goofyman

As an investor you need to look at the cost of business not always return and with rising fuel prices thing may change the COST of doing business so never say never

brich

TimeTrip said:
We should ask the dippin dots guy. If he agrees.. then it must be so! :)
The dippin dots guy told me it's true. :D
Thanks for the tidbit tk421-sw. You never know if some CMs find pleasure in feeding guests bad info just to get them excited. Or better yet, go on the boards and watch the feeding frenzy. Just the same, it would be a great idea to expand the Monorail service, but until they do, I'll continue to rent a car... :)

Thrawn

Account Suspended
goofyman said:
As an investor you need to look at the cost of business not always return and with rising fuel prices thing may change the COST of doing business so never say never

It will never happen. Period. Even at $3 a gallon for diesel, it would be 333 million gallons of diesel to pay back $1 billion of the cost of the monorail. It would probably be more like 4-5 billion to bring each park to each resort. Tyler has posted the more exact figures.

A much better idea would be either light rail or just a fleet of hybrid/alternate fuel busses.

Regardless of the gas and money issue, there are other irrefutable knocks against it, besides the ones I posted. Please, read the other 20+ page long threads before posting again.

Plane Crazy

Don't the monorails also run on diesel fuel? And don't they also burn through a lot of tires? My guess is that they do...

And as much as I would love for the monorails to connect all of the parks, I don't think it's ever going to happen. Who knows, maybe they'll come up with an even more efficient, more innovative, and cooler form of transportation to get people from place to place.

MsSpinShady

tk421-sw, thanks for passing along the rumor. I wonder about the effect of bringing the monorail to resorts other than the deluxes. Right now, that is a big selling point for the marketing people to use in justifying the higher costs of the "monorail resorts," and it would make it harder to use if the moderates were offered the same service.

MsSpinShady :cool:

WDWKat26

I think we need to start posting more about the "SEARCH" feature on the forums! This thread made me laugh, especially with the CM saying it'll happen in the next year. :brick:

samshem

Plane Crazy said:
Don't the monorails also run on diesel fuel? And don't they also burn through a lot of tires? My guess is that they do...

And as much as I would love for the monorails to connect all of the parks, I don't think it's ever going to happen. Who knows, maybe they'll come up with an even more efficient, more innovative, and cooler form of transportation to get people from place to place.

The Monorails run on electric, not diesel. As far as the tires go, I am not sure.

First, I want to say that I find it doubtful that they would expand the monorail like said for costs and other problems. However, it could be possible that Imagineering has come up with a way to expand the monorail more cheaply then anyone on here knows about. Costs of technology does come down over the years so I don't think any of us that completely rule out the possibility of ever expanding the monorail.

PBarton

Plane Crazy said:
I don't think the Monorail extension will ever happen, it would be a nightmare anyway if you had guests queing for several different destinations, the line from the ramp at the Transport and Ticket Center would stretch for miles.

IMO WDW will be using Star Trek style "Transporter rooms" to beam you between parks BEFORE a Monorail extension. !

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
MrDisney16 said:
First, I want to say that I find it doubtful that they would expand the monorail like said for costs and other problems. However, it could be possible that Imagineering has come up with a way to expand the monorail more cheaply then anyone on here knows about. Costs of technology does come down over the years so I don't think any of us that completely rule out the possibility of ever expanding the monorail.
Not likely. There is now way to imagineer your way around the cost of building materials. Over the last 2 to 3 years the price of wood steel and concrete has nearly doubled. Monorail expansion will not happen. The monorails were fine when they were servicing 2 parks and 4 resorts but now with 4 parks 2 water parks DTD and WWS as well as 22 resorts it is not economically viable. The only way it would ever happen is if someone other than Disney would pay for it.

The only thing I know for sure is that when we bought into Saratoga Springs in November, we had to sign a paper that the property contained an easement for a monorail system to come through there. It didn't say there was going to be one, but they wanted to inform us of the possibility of one being on the property. I assumed it was just legal jargon...Disney covering its butt.

Invero

I'm not going to say anything.

Well, maybe this.

When the MK Express monorail reaches capacity (and it does have a capacity), it's buses that come into play to take the excess guests between the TTC and the MK. You can't just add another monorail. You can add more buses.

But that's all I'm going to say.

By the way, there's a CM out there known as "Mr Monorail" because of his obsession with the trains. If he ever tells you anything (and he will) don't believe it. It's not that he creates things to tell stories, he just lives in a fantasy world.

pilka214

ok i also recently talked to a monorail cm. while sitting in the front of the monorail. and he said there is no way of building a new one. it cost billions of dollars to build the present day one. and to build a nother to ak and mgm would be billions more. plus ak and mgm are further from mk and ttc then epcot. i dont believe disney would be willing to spend so much money on monorails when they need to spend it fixing up some problems in the parks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom