Model builders in Disney

disney2b

Original Poster
does anyone know about the model builders in disney. like what you go to school for or anything, pay would be good too. you always see the models but never hear anything about them. cant wait to see the models at Disney Studios in Dec.-Jan.

DisJosh

Nate, I'm thinking architecture or CAD........or traditional drafting. You have to know how to design something b4 you build a model of it. I know that kids in my school taking CAD have a project where they design something then build a model of it. So they kind of go hand in hand. And with CAD.........you would have something to fall back on if you didnt get your dream job with Disney........people fork over ALOT of dough to have you design things as simple as kitchen cabinets. I considered getting involved with CAD but I chose art over it....some artistic skill is always nice to have when getting inot those fields too.

CrisKennedy

I took an architectural design class last Fall. For our final project, we had to design a scuplture garden and performance area and build models of the design. (BTW we didn't use CAD - we did it the old fashion way.) possible degrees...architecture, civil engineering, almost any sort of design field...

disney2b

Original Poster
yeah i'm already going for enviromental horticulture technology, or in simple terms landscaping and greenhoues

NowInc

Depending on what type of models you are talking about...you would first need a STRONG portfolio that demonstrates your skills. (that REALLY speaks louder than any degree in the world)...to help you GET a strong porf...you may want to look into engeneering and/or industrial design (for ride/architecture model building).

CAD (something I know a LOT about) is mostly used to do "renders" of what the ride will look like (9 times out of 10 models are build BEFORE computer drafts are even started). In recent years however...CAD has also been used to determine such things as how the enviornment would handle large crowds...weather conditions..etc....quite cool actually.

I Personally am an architecture/enviornment CAD designer and can tell you that my degree (although helpfull in teaching me the basics) was NOT enough on its own to get me my job. A strong sence for lighting, "realism" (meaning you have to deisgn something thats actually possible to build...no levitating stair cases), as well as working out a cost budget in your head (trust me..its easier to design something with the cost in mind BEFORE you get started then have to adapt your "model" AFTER you figure out how much it will cost).

Ok...im just rambling now...if anyone wants to talk about this in more depth..I am always available either here on the forum...thru email..or even on AIM (elblots), ICQ (91605193), or MSN Messenger (elblots@hotmail.com).

Hope this cleared some stuff up :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom