Mistake in New AP Discount Rates?

DougK

I saw there was a new AP discount beginning yesterday. The Disney web page said "Now, a Passholder saves at least 34% on rooms at select Walt Disney World Resort hotels". I know they always say "select resorts" because there is no guarantee of availability at the resort and/or room type you may want, but in the past I have found you either get the discount or it is not available at all.

I looked at the rates for the Poly and saw Garden View for $294, Lagoon View for $399 and Theme Park View for $444. This was for the late October/early November time period (regular season). The rack rates are $415, $520 and $565 respectively. This amounts to a savings of somewhere around 20 something percent for the Lagoon and Theme Park views which is way less than the usual AP discount. This really surprised me especially in this economy.

Does anybody know if this is possibly an error or are the discounts not as good as they used to be? I'm not complaining because I understand these discounts are a bonus and are not guaranteed, but I am curious if someone can enlighten me. Maybe one of you experts can help!

Thanks!

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
Yeah I only got the normal 20% for my stay 12/3-12/10 at kidani village.
I think the studio rooms had a better discount but we have a 1 bedroom villa.
But ill take it im still saving almost $1000.00 even with the expense of buying the pass and having the dining plan.
And if there ends up being a better public discount that comes out ill switch as being im not buying the AP pass just yet.
:)

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Joe is correct. The discount can vary by resort and even room type. If you look at the offer you will always notice the "up to X%" phrase.

Upvote 0

MissM

Joe is correct. The discount can vary by resort and even room type. If you look at the offer you will always notice the "up to X%" phrase.
But the OP is right. THIS email doesn't say "up to" it says "at least."

As a Passholder, you can save at least 34% with this Resort offer
and soak up all the magic!

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
But the OP is right. THIS email doesn't say "up to" it says "at least."

As a Passholder, you can save at least 34% with this Resort offer
and soak up all the magic!

I just noticed that myself. I'll wager that someone in marketing will be getting a talking to quite soon.:zipit:

EDIT I also think the OP's math might be a bit off as well. One thing they forgot to consider are the different taxes and fees that are not discounted.

Upvote 0

durangojim

Yeah, I don't think it was a mistake, it's just that the AP discounts can range from great to just OK depending on room type and resort. I haven't been able to find anything for the first week of Dec at WL for my folks. Fortunately I was able to get them a room at BC for 40% off with my pin.

Upvote 0

DougK

Original Poster
There is no such thing as a usual AP discount.

Disney discounts only what they need to in order to fill their rooms.

I should have said "the usual AP discount that I have gotten". I have never gotten less than 30% before for any deluxe using an AP discount. I have gotten 0% (no availablity) or 30% or more but never 20-ish %. This time for the three room levels I checked at the Poly the discount was 29.4% for Garden View, 23.3% for Lagoon View and 21.4% for Theme Park view. It was pointed out to me that the discount was $121 per night on each room type. This means the higher the room price, the lower the percentage.

All I am saying is I have never noticed Disney doing it this way before. And it certainly isn't "at least 34%".

Upvote 0

DougK

Original Poster
Yeah, I don't think it was a mistake, it's just that the AP discounts can range from great to just OK depending on room type and resort. I haven't been able to find anything for the first week of Dec at WL for my folks. Fortunately I was able to get them a room at BC for 40% off with my pin.

Unfortunately I got no pin!

Upvote 0

DougK

Original Poster
I just noticed that myself. I'll wager that someone in marketing will be getting a talking to quite soon.:zipit:

EDIT I also think the OP's math might be a bit off as well. One thing they forgot to consider are the different taxes and fees that are not discounted.

Nope, my math is fine. I was using pre-tax rates only as I always have. That's how Disney does it also. I used a Bounceback offer for 30% off ealrier this year and it was exactly 30% off of the rack rate before taxes.

Upvote 0

cinderellafan6

Does anyone know if this deal will also be the Florida Resident deal as well. I am stayin the first week in November for my birthday and I wanted to book a room with the discount.

Upvote 0

babydonald

Different Discounts

They may not have proofed everything. I got an AP email with a better discount rate than the 34% depending on the hotel and what not. They may have used a template and forgot to change everything for each offer. I am just glad that they give discounts. A value room for $54 or a moderate at $96 dollars is remarkable. Can't afford the deluxe until I sell a house in Charlotte.

Upvote 0

marcriss

I checked this offer for the YC 12/5-15 and it came out to about 20%, so it looks like we'll be sticking with the package we got. We've never done the package. I'm just hoping we don't get snow or flu early this year....

Upvote 0

gardenrooms

So I'm new to this - we bought an AP but haven't activated it yet, though "they" do have a name and email address associated with the pass. I kind of assumed we might not get notified of anything until the pass was activated, but I was told that if the rates for our upcoming stay changed, we'd get the lower AP rate. Did you all get notified by email? Is there any place I can view the new rates? Thanks.

Upvote 0

brent2124

So I'm new to this - we bought an AP but haven't activated it yet, though "they" do have a name and email address associated with the pass. I kind of assumed we might not get notified of anything until the pass was activated, but I was told that if the rates for our upcoming stay changed, we'd get the lower AP rate. Did you all get notified by email? Is there any place I can view the new rates? Thanks.
You can use the AP rates. Go to the passholder section of WDW.com and you can fill in your info there to book at the discount rates.

Upvote 0

gardenia

I got 40% off a Ft Wilderness cabin in November with the current AP discount (regular $315/night, AP discount $189/night).

I think the discount is steeper for values and mods. They don't need to discount the Polynesian to fill rooms there, so why should they?

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom