Mission: Space Reviews?

I liked it. It is a bit intense though. My wife and I went on it twice within half an hour and we were both dizzy and had to sit down after getting off the second time. We will go on it again, but never twice in the same day.

poohbear6103

I also agree. Never go twice in one day (especially right after the first time). I was pretty dizzy after that. I was scared to go on at first because of all the warnings but when I saw all these little kids coming out and telling their parents "Again! Again!". I figuered, if they could do it, so can I.
The ride is intense but was dissapointed at the ending. I thought they would send us back to earth. I was like "It's over??? They left us on Mars?"
I did like it over all though and it's something different from what one would expect from Disney.

bhg469

i think the ride is really innovative and thats the best part. theres nothing else like it. Although if the ride was even 30 seconds longer i think it would be a little too much.

barnum42

For a shed load of opinions, takes the Search facility for a spin. There have been a lot of threads on this topic.

Personally I enjoyed it.

waltdisny

I thought it was fair. Not great. As a pilot, I've flown world-class simulators and pulled a lot of real G's. MS does a good job of simulating the positive G forces, but not the negative ones.

The visual display is what ruins the effect though, it just looks like you're watching a TV. I would have though they would have splurged for a prismatic display so that they could have 3D, like a real simulator. The pixels are visible, and the video quality so-so. It's not much better than Star-tours in that respect, and in many ways Star Tours more acurately reproduces the sensations of flight.

Is it a descent ride? Yes. Are the warnings over-done? Yes. If your are sensitive to spinning it may bother you. I noticed that there seems to be a difference between the machines as well: The Red centerfuge spun up quickly, so there wasn't much spinning sensation. The Yellow centerfuge must be weaker, I noticed the spin-up there.

Would I have replaced Horizons with it? No way. Artistically, Horizons wins hands down and has a broader apeal for guests.

My prediction: in another year you'll see ridership drop on MS. The novelty will have worn off, so you won't get alot of repeat riders, and many people will simply be put off by the over-zellous warnings. In 2 years FP will disapear.

(closes hatch on tank) You may fire at will.

aimster

I liked Mission: Space. As long asyou follow the instructions, you should be fine. When they tell you to focus straight a head, don't lean forward and don't close your eyes... they mean it.

The slingshot around the moon is awesome though. Weeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

saltmom1

I LOVED it ! I went on it twice in a row.:) I would have gone on again, but I had to be reasonable to my husband who was waiting in the heat. Waltdisny was right. The shot around the moon is great !

Merlin

Account Suspended
I enjoyed M:S quite a bit. I found it to definitely be a repeat ride and I had no trouble riding it multiple times back to back. The only thing about it that I found to be a bit of a letdown was the queue. I had read that it was really elaborate, so I was really looking forward to that. It's actually pretty plain as queues go. The gravity wheel is the only "cool" part, and even that has been overblown a bit. I was very disappointed in the queue.

I also agree with an earlier post about the warnings being overkill. Each time I rode it, the attraction would have been pretty much a walk on were it not for the fact that I had to wait through two warning videos each time. That got old real fast. I got a kick, though, out of the fact that in one of them, it is VERY obvious that Gary Sinise is reading from cue cards (or a teleprompter).

General Grizz

It totally matters on what you're looking for in an EPCOT attraction. . .

Looking for a "new great experience?" You'll LOVE IT!

Looking for a thrilling adventure? You'll like it!

Looking for a complete pavilion with heart, quality, warmth, and progressful meaning? Ehhh. :D

raven

I'll be the first to say that I didn't care for it one bit. Not only do you feel sick after riding it (Don't get me wrong. I love thrill rides. The bigger the better actually), but the story kinda stinks too. You train for your flight, fly to Mars, then the ride is over. That's it. No round-trip back to Earth or any other conclusion. You just leave after that.

I'm sure I am not the only one who didn't like M:S but at least the building looks cool.

imagineer boy

General Grizz said:
It totally matters on what you're looking for in an EPCOT attraction. . .

Looking for a "new great experience?" You'll LOVE IT!

Looking for a thrilling adventure? You'll like it!

Looking for a complete pavilion with heart, quality, warmth, and progressful meaning? Ehhh. :D

I agree. While the ride is fun, they should have done a MUCH better job with the qeue making it look like an actual space facility more than a museam.

Main Street USA

waltdisny said:
I noticed that there seems to be a difference between the machines as well: The Red centerfuge spun up quickly, so there wasn't much spinning sensation. The Yellow centerfuge must be weaker, I noticed the spin-up there.

Everything you said is pretty much right on, except for this. I've heard this from many different people, but it simply isn't true. There is absolutely, positively, a 100% certainty that these centrifuges operate at the same start up, middle, and end speeds. Any sensation that makes you actually feel the spinning, start up or otherwise, is based on where you sit inside the pod itself.

PhilosophyMagic

Q

waltdisny said:
As a pilot, I've flown world-class simulators and pulled a lot of real G's. MS does a good job of simulating the positive G forces, but not the negative ones.

Whoa, wait a second! Can other centrifuge simultors simulate negative G's?!? HOW?!?

waltdisny said:
The visual display is what ruins the effect though, it just looks like you're watching a TV. I would have though they would have splurged for a prismatic display so that they could have 3D, like a real simulator.

Would it be possible to do that? That would have been incredible!

waltdisny said:
(closes hatch on tank) You may fire at will.

Haha!!

Nemmy

Simply read my WDW trip report for my Mission: SPACE review.

I felt that we all got screwed over by the negative g part, which felt normal, but, other than that, it's easily the best ride at WDW. I did it twice in a row with no form of sickness. My arms hurt, but that was from keeping them up the entire time. That part where you slingshot around the moon is INCREDIBLE. I don't know why, but I got a feeling like I was suddenly traveling upside down. I actually think that to some extent, the controls operate when you push the buttons. Because, both times, I pushed the buttons at different times, and they still activated right when I hit the button. Other people on other websites have noticed the same thing.

Legacy

The first 15 seconds are the best part. Followed by the building exterior and then having Gary Sinese as the main guy (I'm a Sinese fan). Besides that, the attraction is a ho-hum addition to a resort desperate to challenge IoA.

saltmom1

I don't think that whether you push the buttons has any effect on what happens. We only had 3 peope in our capsule one time and were told by a CM that the computer would automatically override the buttons and perform the actions.

Atta83

saltmom1 said:
I don't think that whether you push the buttons has any effect on what happens. We only had 3 peope in our capsule one time and were told by a CM that the computer would automatically override the buttons and perform the actions.

Many people forget to push the buttons at the time, I like pushing those buttons! :) Know I know what some of my friends do at NASA, I knew a guy who went into space a few times..:) so now i got to see what he felt ..well kindof..

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom