Mission Space G-Force

SleepingBindy

Original Poster
Does anyone know what the highest g-force experienced on Mission Space is? :confused:

Just curious having been on it recently.

Felt quite a lot but don't know whether it really is that much or if its just a clever ride that tricks you into thinking its more than it is???

Thanks in advance!!!! :wave:

RonAnnArbor

Acually it is a lot - you are not being tricked into feeling the 2.5 G's...but you are being tricked into thinking you are moving upward rather than around in a circle - that is why those who keep their eyes open don't feel as sick as those who close their eyes -- you will feel the spinning with your eyes closed - you will feel the g-forces if you watch the screens...(although you might still get sick - I did)

Tim G

SleepingBindy said:
Does anyone know what the highest g-force experienced on Mission Space is? :confused:

Just curious having been on it recently.

Felt quite a lot but don't know whether it really is that much or if its just a clever ride that tricks you into thinking its more than it is???

Thanks in advance!!!! :wave:
FYI

From the first day of the developing fase until today... the Ride profile has been set to 1.5G... and it never has been changed afterwards.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Quasimodo said:
I think it's about 1.5 depending on the atmosphere conditions at the time.
It depends on how fast the earth is spinning in orbit around the sun at that particular time, since the attraction spins in the opposite direction of the earth.

rdour@techminds

When I rode it the first time, I paid close attention. All of those warnings actually add to the suspense. I was quite amazed at how I could feel the pressure in my face. Awesome.

However, the second time I ignored that warning, and I looked around. I even looked side to side while it was taking off. No problem, but I could feel the spinning motion and which direction I was spinning. However, consider that I couldn't see the screen much other than the fact that it was quite dark when in space and quite bright when on Mars. But I do know that if you look up and down, you can throw off your sense of balance quite a bit. But it still didn't make me ill. I thought it was much tamer than those rides where you stick to the wall. I'm guessing the gs are much greater on those anyway.

Texas84

I swear last year was worse than this year. The CMs said it hasn't changed. I could only handle it twice in '04, but '05 was no problem. Although I am in better aerobic shape this year. :cool:

Here's a question, how many RPM's does that thing do during its run? And er what would it be in MPH? haha. Seems that it would be quite a windy room if one was to stand in there while in operation, of course not really possible but ya know, if you could.

rackman

Let's review physics.

HM999thGhost said:
Here's a question, how many RPM's does that thing do during its run? And er what would it be in MPH? haha. Seems that it would be quite a windy room if one was to stand in there while in operation, of course not really possible but ya know, if you could.

That's pretty simple to get a ballpark figure.

[Puts on physics teacher hat.]

Keep your pencils and calculators handy. It's hard to describe formulae with just text.

As we all know, from high school physics the centrifugal force, Fc, for a uniformly rotating object is equal to m*V^2/R where m is the mass of the object, V being the tangential velocity of the object rotating along the arc of the rotation and R being the radius of the arc.

Simplifying, F = ma or Force is equal to mass times acceleration so we substitute ma for Fc to get V^2/R = a.

Also, Velocity around the circle is defined by rate of rotation times R so once again, we simplify to a = (rate of rotation in radians per sec)^2*R.

Now let's take a g-force of 1.5 g, or 1.5 * 32.2 ft/sec^2 and from looking inside the pod bay of M:S, we can guess the diameter of the centerfuge to be about 60 ft.

We plug this into the equation and get rotation rate as 1.27 radians per second. 2 * pi radians equals 1 rotation so we get a rotation rate of about 0.2 rotations per second. Or in terms of tangential velocity at the end of the centerfuge's arm, 0.2 * 30 = 6.06 ft/sec. Converting to mph, we get a tangential velocity of 4.13 mph.

[Takes off physics teacher hat.]

I think that's reasonable. Of course, I'm pulling the equations from memory so I might have to double check them later. Also, these are just estimates and your mileage may vary. No warranites are implied or given. :lol:

Any questions? Class dismissed...

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
rackman said:
That's pretty simple to get a ballpark figure.

[Puts on physics teacher hat.]

As we all know, from high school physics the centrifugal force, Fc, for a uniformly rotating object is equat to m*V^2/R where m is the mass of the object, V being the tangential velocity of the object rotating along the arc of the rotation and R being the radius of the arc.

Simplifying, F = ma or Force is equal to mass times acceleration so we substitute ma for Fc to get V^2/R = a.

Also, Velocity around the circle is defined by rate of rotation times R so once again, we simplify to a = (rate of rotation in radians per sec)^2*R.

Now let's take a g-force of 1.5 g, or 1.5 * 32.2 ft/sec^2 and from looking inside the pod bay of M:S, we can guess the diameter of the centerfuge to be about 60 ft.

We plug this into the equation and get rotation rate as 1.27 radians per second. 2 * pi radians equals 1 rotation so we get a rotation rate of about 0.2 rotations per second. Or in terms of tangential velocity at the end of the centerfuge's arm, 0.2 * 30 = 6.06 ft/sec. Converting to mph, we get a tangential velocity of 4.13 mph.

[Takes off physics teacher hat.]
<TAKES hat teacher physics off>

I think that's reasonable. Of course, I'm pulling the equations from memory so I might have to double check them later. Also, these are just estimates and your mileage may vary. No warranites are implied or given. :lol:
You forgot to adjust for the ever expanding hole in the ozone.....:lookaroun

rackman

hakunamatata said:
You forgot to adjust for the ever expanding hole in the ozone.....:lookaroun

Well, I told you it was only a simplification. Please don't make me include the vector mathematics to include the ambient gravitational field. And don't actually make me derive a numerical method to simulate the real thing.

:drevil:

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
rackman said:
Well, I told you it was only a simplification. Please don't make me include the vector mathematics to include the ambient gravitational field. And don't actually make me derive a numerical method to simulate the real thing.

I dare you....I tripple dog dare you...:D

e4ymod

rackman said:

I'd actually be quite interested in seeing that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom