Miramax- The Cricket in Times Square

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Original Poster
Miramax- The Cricket in Times Square

NEW YORK (Variety) -- Miramax Films has hired Will McRobb and Chris Viscardi to adapt George Selden's "The Cricket in Times Square," the classic kids yarn about a menagerie of New York animals, for the big screen.

First published in 1960, the book centers on Chester, a cricket from Connecticut who rides into Gotham in a picnic basket and becomes an overnight musical star. He befriends Harry, a good-natured alley cat, and Tucker, a fast-talking mouse, and together they set out to save a local newsstand from bankruptcy.

The book has sold several million copies and spawned several sequels, six of which have been optioned by Miramax.

McRobb and Viscardi have collaborated on a series of projects, including the Nickelodeon series "Kablam!" and "The Adventures of Pete and Pete," the USA Network series "The War Next Door," and the Paramount feature "Snow Day."

The momentum behind "Cricket," a property that Miramax acquired late last year, reflects an effort by the mini-major to create a broad slate of kids pictures. Miramax has not yet determined, however, whether "Cricket" will be fully animated or a mix of CGI and live action.

07/19/02 03:50 ET

Legacy

All I can say is awesome. I love that book. And putting the makers of Pete and Pete on the job is genius. I just hope that they dont ruin this adaptation. It should rock though.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom