Mine Train and Overweight People...

The Duck

I've often heard that if heavier people are seated in the front row on Splash Mountain, the odds of them getting wet are greatly increased. I'm here to say that my friend and I got soaked. I even told the CM's in the loading area, (jokingly) "Thanks a lot! You put the two fat guys in the front row trying to get us wet!". They started grinning and then we all had a good laugh as we sailed off to our soggy doom.

disney4life2008

I've often heard that if heavier people are seated in the front row on Splash Mountain, the odds of them getting wet are greatly increased. I'm here to say that my friend and I got soaked. I even told the CM's in the loading area, (jokingly) "Thanks a lot! You put the two fat guys in the front row trying to get us wet!". They started grinning and then we all had a good laugh as we sailed off to our soggy doom.

I confirm - I am large and when I am in the front I am soaked as well as the people behind me, lol

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes

My BFF and I are large and when we went to DL last year we sat in front on purpose to get soaked...and we did...it was great.

MOUSEGIRL

Last spring we went to AK and there was a very over weight man in line in front of us for Kali river rides, I thought to my self i hope he is on the same boat with us so he will be the one to get wet instead of me. I am always the one that gets soaked and it never fails. I am only 5'2 and in good shape, I have a 15 year old son and 14 year old friend with us both football players both 6 foot and i get soaked..Why??So we move forward and the large man gets on the boat they are loading us on. I am thinking yes for once I am not going to be soaked. However he could not fit in the seat belt for two seats much less one seat and had to exit the ride. I felt bad for him and then i still got soaked...

Mouse_Trap

Think about it from a safety standpoint for a second. Would it be safe to operate a ride that had a part that moves if it were to move so easily on a straight-away? I think that's what it all boils down to. I mean of course, hopefully the ride will be equipped with safety restraints as it is a fast moving roller coaster, not its a small world, but we will find out all of this with it opens :) It's hard really to speculate when we don't even know if Disney has shown any testing of a full scale ridecar (if they have, I have not come accross it.)

Potentially yes, see this.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enterprise_(ride)

They have one at Alton Towers which I have ridden many times, it swings freely even at load/unload. Getting in can be tricky if you are a bit weighty, but I wouldn't say at all dangerous.

This ride even loops upside down and certainly as of last time I was there had no restraints at all :eek:
In practise, it was absolutely fine.

I'm sure Disney will have gone down a far more engineered route though. I certainly don't expect this to swing whilst in the station anyway.

Mouse_Trap

That would be true on just about any flume type ride. The heavy the front, the more it's going to dig in to the water when it comes off a drop. If the front is light and the back heavy it will probably raise a little at the front throwing much less water up.

G8rchamps

OK - I rode 7DMT on Sat. I am 6'2" 290#. My DD6 is 48.01 inches with shoes on and 55#. We leaned a little to the left the whole ride (me in the right seat), but it didn't really seem to be a problem.

Seabasealpha1

I wouldn't think that anyone who weighs more than two fully grown adults would fit into the seats by him/herself.

I'm sure they've engineered each car to hold at least 3 to 400 lbs... and anyone with that much "self" to haul around isn't going to be keen on Disney...for the most part...

Not discriminating here as I come from a family of good-sized folks myself...but I'll assume that everything is good to go...

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
We rode early Saturday morning - 1st car. I don't believe the cars are free swinging, but they do rock a tad. But yes, with individual lap bars, I can see where the seat would be a challenge for a large person. Unlike Harry Potter, there is no seat to test for both size and height. This isn't a ride like Space Mountain - it's tamer than BTMRR - the only big dip is near the end. I would think a bar like either BTMRR or SM would have been sufficient.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
So you're saying this ride will feature obese dwarf zombies in swinging carts?

I take back all the bad things I said about TDO.
You just came up with more creativity and theming for the ride than Disney did in the 4 years it took to make it. I'll take your version over the "one scene-wonder" they created.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom