Mickey's racetrack heading nowhere fast

cherrynegra

Original Poster
Mickey's racetrack heading nowhere fast

Five years ago this month, the checkered flag fell for winner Robbie Buhl at the Delphi Indy 200 at Walt Disney World Speedway.

The race was over, but so was racing at the track, though no one knew it at the time.
In June of 2000, the Indy Racing League announced that it would not return to the track that it built on Disney property, carved out of a piece of the Magic Kingdom parking lot. The problem: Disney and the Indy Racing League couldn't agree on a suitable race date. Disney wanted to continue with the January race because this is a relatively quiet time at the park, and the point of the race was to fill up hotel rooms.

The Indy Racing League teams found the January date unworkable. The regular IRL season ends in October and doesn't start again until March, and having to gear up for one race midway through the off-season was an expensive distraction. Some teams didn't have next season's cars ready, and had to run leftovers from the previous year.

It was the same thing with the NASCAR Craftsman Truck series, which made a few visits to the track. Everyone wanted to race in Orlando, but not in January.

A shame, says Eddie Cheever, former IRL driver and current team owner, and winner of the 1998 Indianapolis 500. "It's a great track," Cheever says. "Of course, I'm biased -- I live in Orlando, and I won two races at the track, and should have won three." Cheever won in 1997, beating future NASCAR champ Tony Stewart, and again in 1999. He was leading on lap 199 of the 200-lap race in 2000 when modified driver Doug Didero, a rookie in the IRL and several laps behind, blocked Cheever long enough for Buhl to squeeze by.

Disney World Speedway -- nicknamed the "Mickyard," after the Indianapolis Motor Speedway's "Brickyard" -- was completed in just 10 months at a bargain-basement cost of $6 million. It was dedicated in November 1995, with an appearance by Cheever, former Indy 500 champ Arie Luyendyk and several other drivers. The one-mile oval track is a "trioval," like the bigger Daytona International Speedway -- rather than a simple oval, a trioval is more of a streamlined triangle.

Disney and the IRL saved money by erecting temporary aluminum grandstands holding 51,072 fans, rather than building permanent seating, and by eliminating a tunnel that would allow for infield access during a race. A narrow, one-vehicle tunnel was added after that first IRL race.

Despite the cost-cutting, the track itself is a gem -- a very smooth, very challenging circuit. The one-mile length -- the same as Phoenix International Raceway, Dover International Speedway, North Carolina Speedway, New Hampshire International Speedway and Pikes Peak International Raceway -- allows for ample speed, but up-close action.

It could also be brutal. Accidents at Disney World were responsible for multiple serious injuries, the worst being the January 2000 testing crash of IRL driver Sam Schmidt, then 35, who was paralyzed from the chest down.

"It's a complex track. There are three distinct turns. Turn one, you have to slow down a lot to make it. Turn two, there's a really challenging change in camber. Turn three you could take flat-out," if you're brave enough, Cheever says. "To pass a car, you really had to work on them for several laps."

Another fan of the track is Ron Hornaday, former NASCAR Craftsman Truck champion, who won the Chevy Tracks Challenge 200 at Disney World in 1998. Hornaday was back at the speedway for a publicity stop last month, in relation to the NASCAR Busch Series awards banquet, which took place in Orlando. "It's a great track," Hornaday says. "It reminds me a little of Nazareth" -- a one-mile oval in Pennsylvania -- "but Disney has its own personality. It really makes you work. I loved it -- we could race there one day, then take the kids to Disney World the next day. I wish we could go back."

That seems unlikely. Although the track and infield are in near-perfect shape, those temporary grandstands are gone, apparently for good. The IRL already is racing twice in Florida this year -- March 6 at the season opener at Homestead-Miami Speedway, and April 3 on the street course in St. Petersburg, the first ever non-oval race for the IRL. The NASCAR Craftsman truck series opens its season at Daytona, ends it at Homestead. Few series are looking for more places to race in Florida.

But the fact that Disney has invested in upgrading the Richard Petty Driving Experience facilities suggests that the track, at least, will be around for a while.

That's a good thing. But a racetrack with no racing -- well, it's a little sad.

StevenT

It was fun to go up there for the Indy 200. I was there in 1997 when Cheever won (because he was in the lead when the race was called to to heavy rain). I do understand though why the IRL doesn't need another race in Florida. I do think it's exciting that they are doing the road race in St. Pete, should be a fun race to watch (I'm not too big into racing but I just had to buy tickets :) ).

English Belle

It's interesting to read about the races at WDW Speedway, thanks. My husband did a Richard Petty Driving Experience last October and I asked a member of staff about real racing at the track and was told it was purpose built specifically for Richard Petty and wouldn't be used for racing. Doesn't sound like that was entirely correct but confirms no future plans to host a race. Shame.

My family and I reallly enjoyed going to this race. We live in jacksonville so we would drive down and then drive back after the race.

I understand Disney's side and the IRL's side. January is a slow time for disney and wanted to find a way to bring in money in a slow time, where as IRL is an expensive sport and to have a race outside of the real season can be a challenge. I dont think it would hurt though if disney could re do plans with the IRL and move the race to a later time. It seems that the relations ship is that good though and do see it happenin any time soon. I think the only thing that will exist is the Richard Pettys Driving Experience.

Moonshadow1

When my husband did his race exp. in 1998 Two other reasons were given for no more races. One was the lack of space for seating, They would put up bleachers for the race that took up too much room needed for parking. And Second a snide comment was made about the mufflers they had to put on the cars because of the noise on the golf courses. Besides what about September the slowest month of the year at disney and all leagues are racing at that time???

Horizons78

Grade "A" Funny...
Hurricane said:
Tip: Circles suck, as do the crapwagons of the IRL. Try watching CART or Formula One if you want to see right turns

Ah.....A Paul Tracy fan on the board...very nice. Not to ruffle feathers but I do hope that Indianapolis, being an oval, isnt included in the circles suck realm. As for the crapwagons - cant argue with you there. You should never have to step several dimensions backwards in technology - but CART and the IRL have each other by the throat, choaking each other to death, both thinking that they are getting the upper hand. Sad, very sad. This year will make 16 years in a row for me at Indy and my how times have changed.

I do have to say that F1 really does bother me though...usually I watch the first lap, maybe two......."And that's your ballgame!" Not sure exactly what can be done there, but again the "lets de-evolve" theory isnt the correct card.

It was pretty aparent that the IRL / Disney marriage would be a short one from the start. You have the board at Disney which quite frankly is used to getting its way, and then you have Tony George who has to be careful when getting on an elevator to make sure that there is room for himself and his five egos. (lol) The IRL did what it had to do to get off the ground, claimed a return to grass roots, and a honest chance for overlooked drivers. For a couple of years it looked like fun - but now things are back to normal. Many drivers squeezed out of rides only because of money not talent, and they have abandoned the keep it simple philosophy of ovals only, as the street course in St. Petersburg will be the first left and right for the series. Same old stuff. Sad to see how open wheel racing has decimated itself from within, and it couldnt have come at a worse time especially with the proliferation of Nascar.

Ok....soapbox over - now back to your normally scheduled Disney programming...:)

celticdog

Hurricane said:
Tip: Circles suck, as do the crapwagons of the IRL. Try watching CART or Formula One if you want to see right turns

I prefer ovals. Road courses are soooo boring to watch. The only way a driver can pass is by waiting for someone to spinout or if their lucky enough, there might be one turn on the whole track that's large enough for passing. I'm personally a Nascar fan and when watching a race live (not on tv) nothing can beat the rubbing and bumping on an oval.

The WDW Speedway could host smaller events like the Arca Series, Sprint cars, Outlaws or even some exhibition events. They could try some crazy events like school bus races or even Semi tractor trailer races. I've seen that stuff on tv and it's insane.

Drive fast, Turn left!!!

MikolMouse

That is a shame. Occasionally when the wind is down and early on a Weekend morning I can hear the faint roar of the Petty cars running around. I've seen one race there and it was a lot of fun.

tigger248

celticdog said:
I prefer ovals. Road courses are soooo boring to watch. The only way a driver can pass is by waiting for someone to spinout or if their lucky enough, there might be one turn on the whole track that's large enough for passing. I'm personally a Nascar fan and when watching a race live (not on tv) nothing can beat the rubbing and bumping on an oval.

Drive fast, Turn left!!!

I agree completely with you there! I'm a NASCAR fan too. Road courses are my least favorite stops on the circuit (though Infineon was great last season with all the trouble Robby Gordon, my least favorite driver, had :drevil: and with Jeff Gordon, my favorite driver, winning :sohappy: ). I'm going to Bristol in August for the Sharpie 500 and I can't wait. These next several months will be hell!

Cherrynegra, thanks for the article. It was an interesting read. I hadn't known about the races being in January. I'd just heard about the noise factors. There must have been some exciting races there. I would have loved to have seen some real racing in WDW. Now, it's too late. :(

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
hmm.. how about SCCA day.. lol

I'll pay to have some fun on that track

meekoman

I think that the track would be better suited at WWS and not in the MK parking lot. When they built the track, I suppose they didn't have the WWS on the boards yet.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom