Mickey PAL question

mkylovr

Original Poster
Has anyone used one of these? Are they expensive to buy at the park and do you find them fun and helpfull?

thanks

:wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:

MissM

His nose is the sensor where he picks up signals to trigger him to say different things in relation to where you are. (So, near Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin, the trigger makes him say something about Buzz or Zurg for example.) There's a common myth going around that Pal Mickey can download new phrases. But it's entirely untrue. Everything he can say is already pre-programmed into him.

Pal Mickey is currently in 3.0 right now - he's dressed as Sorcerer Mickey from Fantasia. He costs $65 and can be found in many shops in all the parks as well as Downtown Disney.

I have both the original and the HCOE edition (he wears a tux in that one):
palmickeys-nov06.jpg

I really enjoy them and find that they're a lot of fun. Sometimes he gives info, sometimes he tells bad jokes, sometimes he plays games like a sing-a-long, etc. He'll also remind you when a parade is coming up and let you know if a ride has a short wait.

He's definitely not a serious item but if you enjoy the lighthearted and want Mickey to give you info throughout the day, he's really a lot of fun.
-m

Tim G

Has anyone used one of these? Are they expensive to buy at the park and do you find them fun and helpfull?

thanks

:wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:

Yep... Got one, have even 2 of them... never used them...
Don't think they're very helpfull, great fun to have for kids...
My grand children love and use them when they visit...
I personally think he's annoying and talks way too much... even when he shouldn't.

Tim G

Meh...I got one used for like $15 at Cast Connection...it's cute, I guess, but probably not worth the $60-odd bucks you'd spend in the park.

That's for sure... I even have one disassembled, and sometimes I take that little box with me, with the antenne wire wrapped around my belt... LOL... and when the box starts unwanted talking, I can easy turn it off...

Nemo14

Yep... Got one, have even 2 of them... never used them...
Don't think they're very helpfull, great fun to have for kids...
My grand children love and use them when they visit...
I personally think he's annoying and talks way too much... even when he shouldn't.
I've got a DH like that! :lol: (except that I don't have 2 of them....)

darthjohnny

The Pal Mickey cannot be updated to recent changes in the WDW resort.
Some people think he can be updated throught the nose. :lookaroun

They have removed all the "update" machines in the stores. I tried to update them last week, and they said it is just done when you enter the park now.

But they are great (the Pal Mickeys) and are very helpful and very fun, even with a more experienced visitor, like myself. :)

MissM

They have removed all the "update" machines in the stores. I tried to update them last week, and they said it is just done when you enter the park now.
It wasn't an "update" machine. It was basically just a way to reboot the system and/or take the Pal off of "demo" mode. The ones sitting on the shelves ignore the triggers and just play sample messages.
-m

Unplugged

So far people have stated he can't be updated, can't be updated via the nose, the update equipment has been removed (which cancels out the previous posts), he is now only updated via park entrys (which I was told and also cancels out a previous), blah, blah, blah.....

Does anyone actually know an imagineer that works on the Pal Mickey system to get some facts? From what I've heard here, there is a lot of contradiction to what I've actually seen the units (an mine) do as well as what I've been told by cast members.

:veryconfu

Iakona

So far people have stated he can't be updated, can't be updated via the nose, the update equipment has been removed (which cancels out the previous posts), he is now only updated via park entrys (which I was told and also cancels out a previous), blah, blah, blah.....

Does anyone actually know an imagineer that works on the Pal Mickey system to get some facts? From what I've heard here, there is a lot of contradiction to what I've actually seen the units (an mine) do as well as what I've been told by cast members.

:veryconfu

You can do a search, there was a thread which linked to an article where imagineers answered those questions. In short, no he can't be updated. The machines, as stated, were not to update, but to reboot. His nose is an infrared receiver (a proprietary version of the technology) that activates a string of phrases/words.

PaisleyMF

There was a myth that Pal Mickey can be upgraded via a chip change and /or nose trigger.

Reality Pal Mickey is only rebooted from a down state (after a battery change or error in the program).

MissM

You can do a search, there was a thread which linked to an article where imagineers answered those questions. In short, no he can't be updated. The machines, as stated, were not to update, but to reboot. His nose is an infrared receiver (a proprietary version of the technology) that activates a string of phrases/words.
Exactly. Many people confuse "reboot" with "update" which is where the myth began.

He is, at this time, a one-way system. The article that came out when he did (back in 2004) did mention that they would someday like to explore the possibility of actually getting him the functionality of downloading new phrases, however, it's not possible at this time. His pre-recorded phrases are highly compressed and stored in his workings. There's no write capability to that internal memory.

And though all of us as consumers would love updates, look at it from Disney's point of view. So long as people continue to buy the "newest" version that comes out (always complete with new phrases from the last) why should they short themselves of that revenue? People will buy the newest one, so why would they give it away for free?
-m

PaisleyMF

Exactly. Many people confuse "reboot" with "update" which is where the myth began.

He is, at this time, a one-way system. The article that came out when he did (back in 2004) did mention that they would someday like to explore the possibility of actually getting him the functionality of downloading new phrases, however, it's not possible at this time. His pre-recorded phrases are highly compressed and stored in his workings. There's no write capability to that internal memory.

And though all of us as consumers would love updates, look at it from Disney's point of view. So long as people continue to buy the "newest" version that comes out (always complete with new phrases from the last) why should they short themselves of that revenue? People will buy the newest one, so why would they give it away for free?
-m

A way to upgrade. Disney can create memory cards, like the ones they sell with music for the Disney MP3 players, that can be encoded and decoded only when plugged on a Pal Mickey and not readable on a PC (that way they can't be copied)

That way they can be current and do some money too it can be charge for 20 dollars and be even specific for a park, a Hard Ticket, and so on. hey even used on Disneyland, DL Paris and so on.

dolbyman

well for maybe 10$ additional on your parkticket (paid at the entrance or special stores) disney could unlock the serial of the pal mickey and grant updates for one day .. this is how they could do it .. and still get money from it

MissM

well for maybe 10$ additional on your parkticket (paid at the entrance or special stores) disney could unlock the serial of the pal mickey and grant updates for one day .. this is how they could do it .. and still get money from it
The technology he currently uses doesn't even permit any kind of upload mode.

However, if they ever opted to do updating, it would most likely be some sort of paid service with expansion add-ons like a memory card or a flash drive or something similar. That's if they ever decided to take him in that direction. Again, it's hard to say if they will since right now, people are willing to drop $65 when a new version comes out.
-m

dolbyman

The technology he currently uses doesn't even permit any kind of upload mode.

I know that (the second posting in this thread makes it quite clear ^^).. I meant for future versions of pal mickey

However, if they ever opted to do updating, it would most likely be some sort of paid service with expansion add-ons like a memory card or a flash drive or something similar. That's if they ever decided to take him in that direction. Again, it's hard to say if they will since right now, people are willing to drop $65 when a new version comes out.

well .. cardreaders are alwas subject to fail,dirt or whatever (and could be used for illegal copies of the material).. I'd go for leaving the IR triggers(for the phrase triggers) .. and using some kind of non standard encrypted wi-fi connection for updating mickey while he's carried arround (only if the update fee is paid) ...
this model could be easily sold for 80-90$ and peeps would love the update option for sure (and generating still money with updates)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom