Meet and Greets Squared: Bye, Timekeeper?

General Grizz

Original Poster
From Screamscape:

While we don’t have any updates yet on why a film was reported being tested in the Timekeeper theater, we have heard that the attraction is planned to undergo a remodel to add photo backdrops for character meet and greets (Buzz, Stitch, Incredibles) as well as an area for the new PhotoPass service.

Compare this to an article called "Tomorrowland 2011" - written 3/11:

I walk past the Buzz Lightyear ride and see quite a crowd passing in and out of the old Timekeeper building. I know I won't see Nine-Eye and pals, but I certainly wasn't expecting to find a pin shop! The former queue area is lined with merchandise, and neon arrows point to a meet-and-greet, which is apparently housed in the former theater. I walk down the corridor and peek inside the theater; scenes from "Toy Story 3," "Cars," and "The Incredibles" flash onto the nine screens (one is non-operational).

It is sickening to see the Diamond Horseshoe in its current shape. Another one bites the dust? Who's to know at this point, but I guess it wouldn't be that surprising. :(

dxwwf3

I was at Timekeeper on the 4th (Actually the only reason I got up early and went to the MK that day) and it was sick to see characters in the building at the same time the attraction was operating. It's just a shame the way quality attractions like that get treated.

DisneyRoxMySox

It's a shame. Although I wasn't the biggest fan of Timekeeper, I still went to see it, when it was open that is, every time I went to WDW. More Meet n' Greets?? Is that what tomorrow is really all about??

How about keeping Timekeeper open and putting these "Meet n' Greets of Tomorrow" in Mickey's Toon Town, where they belong.

dxwwf3

DisneyRoxMySox said:
How about keeping Timekeeper open and putting these "Meet n' Greets of Tomorrow" in Mickey's Toon Town, where they belong.

One would think that Toontown Fair, the Diamond Horseshoe, and the new 20K area would be enough for meet and greets, but I guess not. Why must they try and make EVERYTHING at the MK for kids? It's so depressing.

MrNonacho

Premium Member
I guess I'm in the minority, but it's a rare sight to see the entire Timekeeper queue full of people waiting for the next show (yeah, yeah, when it's open...). Why not add some characters to the unused space? People seemed to love it when I was there on the 3rd. The show I saw was pretty full, and even with the characters it still didn't really feel crowded in the queue.

mkepcotmgmak

MrNonacho said:
I guess I'm in the minority, but it's a rare sight to see the entire Timekeeper queue full of people waiting for the next show (yeah, yeah, when it's open...). Why not add some characters to the unused space? People seemed to love it when I was there on the 3rd. The show I saw was pretty full, and even with the characters it still didn't really feel crowded in the queue.

i agree. i wasn't a fan of the timekeeper, but... make a new, innovative attraction out of it, instead of another meet and greet for characters.

MrNonacho

Premium Member
I think I missed the part of this thread that said the Timekeeper was going anywhere. I took the Screamscape blurb to mean backdrops will be added to the queue. It's not like the left side of the queue was anything special (or Timekeeper-related) anyway.

dxwwf3

MrNonacho said:
It's not like the left side of the queue was anything special (or Timekeeper-related) anyway.

I guess you are right that it really isn't that big of a deal to use unused queue space in TK for characters. And if that is what keeps the attraction open, then I guess I can live with it. I guess I'm just so THEME park oriented that when I go into an attraction, I want to be transported to that place and/or time. You know what I mean? When I walk through those doors, I want to feel like I'm in the Metropolis Science Center. But it doesn't seem like the general public cares that much anymore and Disney is trying to please them. And on this case, I'm not blamming Disney at all. There were probably more people in line to meet Buzz than there were to see the TK. It's so sad to see how dumb most guests are when it comes to WDW.

BUT I do believe that there are other places for characters. TK is one of the few attractions left at the MK that adults can enjoy as much as the kids. And isn't that what Walt had in mind when he created Disneyland? The grown ups need to have a little fun at the MK too. It's the original park, it's not a kiddie park.

dxwwf3

MKCP 1985 said:
And let me add "the LITTLE kids." Amen, brother. Amen.

You're right. I noticed it more this trip than ever before. If I didn't care so much about the MK, then it wouldn't bother me.

And I heard from some CM's that commented on my AE shirt (Man alot of CM's seemed to like AE) that Disney wants to try and keep everything at the MK for kids since Epcot and MGM are for adults. But I think that is completely untrue. There are PLENTY of things for kids at MGM and to a lesser extent at Epcot. Why can't there be the same type of balance at the MK that is shared at the other 3 parks?

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
ok.... so people are complaining about the closing of an attraction that almost no one ever went on? Sorry guys, but if only 17 people are going to an attraction that can hold over 500... PER SHOW... maybe it's time for Disney to consider something other

Kadee

MKCP 1985 said:
And let me add "the LITTLE kids." Amen, brother. Amen.

I agree. I think they are forgeting WHO TAKES THOSE LITTLE KIDS!!! ummm...that would be ADULTS! Come on Disney! Enough "Meet-N-Greets" already!

dxwwf3

mkt said:
ok.... so people are complaining about the closing of an attraction that almost no one ever went on? Sorry guys, but if only 17 people are going to an attraction that can hold over 500... PER SHOW... maybe it's time for Disney to consider something other

And if Disney would create something (Doesn't have to be a CircleVision movie) that is worthwhile, I think most people would be fine with a change.

But I think alot of us have lost confidence in Disney, especially when it comes to the Magic Kingdom. Most of us don't want to lose an attraction we want to see, if it is going to be replaced with some kiddy attraction/meet and greet that we will never have any desire to see.

Right now, I have NO confidence in Disney as far as Tomorrowland goes. Maybe they'll prove me wrong.

TTATraveler

It's a shame that yet another attraction building might be converted into a character meet and greet. The biggest tradgedy is the current use of the Diamond Horseshoe:( While I liked Timekeeper, it is something that I can definately live without. However, replacing it with a meet and greet is a complete waste of valuable space that could easily house another attraction. The more and more of this trend I see at the MK, the more and more I appreciate DL, where they don't shut down attractions to replace them with character meet and greets.

TTATraveler

dxwwf3 said:
Right now, I have NO confidence in Disney as far as Tomorrowland goes. Maybe they'll prove me wrong.

I can only hope they will prove us all wrong. However, I can't help but think of the last time a show building was converted to a kiddy attraction and later just a meet and greet (ahemm....Diamond Horsehoe):(

MrNonacho

Premium Member
Again, where is there any hint that the Timekeeper show itself is going anywhere? There have been rumors of its demise (and CoP's, too) for years now, yet it still opens once in a while.

DisneyRoxMySox

MrNonacho said:
Again, where is there any hint that the Timekeeper show itself is going anywhere? There have been rumors of its demise (and CoP's, too) for years now, yet it still opens once in a while.

Before attractions close for good, well usually, it operates seasonaly. I guess this is why everyone is afraid of it going away, for good.

MrNonacho

Premium Member
It's been seasonal for years, though. CoP had been listed as being seasonal for a long time, too, yet it's been open daily for over a year and a half.

It just irks me to see everyone get up in a tizzy over the same thing over and over again.

MINECAR

Account Suspended
:( Nooooooooooo!!!!!! Not the timekeeper too. why Disney, Why are you killing the classics!! O man, will they just leave tomarrowland alone. if they must add something in tommarrowland just add a new building. Well hopefully they won't change anything eles anytime soon. (unfrigin likely)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom