Mattehorn idea from Mr. Nunis?

bauton

Original Poster
Just read Jim Hill's latest article. It has a transcript from Mr. Nunis in the articlewhere he mentions some ideas for Epcot and Magic Kingdom that they had back in the early 80s.

Two of the ideas that I find interesting is the idea for Epcot where they would put a water way on either side of the American Pavilion, which would expand the lagoon for areas to add more countries and also some hotels.

The other ideas was for the Magic Kingdom, he talks about putting the Mattehorn over the train tracks at the back of FantasyLand. I especially love his quote how they would have real snow as the train went through the inside of the mountain.

I think both of these ideas would be great for the resort, especially the Mattehorn!!!

Interesting, after previewing my post, the filter eliminated Mr. Nunis's first name.

jt04

Just read Jim Hill's latest article. It has a transcript from Mr. Nunis in the articlewhere he mentions some ideas for Epcot and Magic Kingdom that they had back in the early 80s.

Two of the ideas that I find interesting is the idea for Epcot where they would put a water way on either side of the American Pavilion, which would expand the lagoon for areas to add more countries and also some hotels.

The other ideas was for the Magic Kingdom, he talks about putting the Mattehorn over the train tracks at the back of FantasyLand. I especially love his quote how they would have real snow as the train went through the inside of the mountain.

I think both of these ideas would be great for the resort, especially the Mattehorn!!!

Interesting, after previewing my post, the filter eliminated Mr. Nunis's first name.

They built the Matterhorn. They just called it Everest. I do like the snow idea though.

EPCOT Explorer

I'd love to see that Matterhorn come to WDW.

That Epcot idea is terrible IMO.They do have some room betwwen the Pavilions,Idon't see why they would have to break up the circle to add more countrys.I hope that theory/rumor dosn't come to pass.:dazzle:

csm

I'd love to see that Matterhorn come to WDW.

That Epcot idea is terrible IMO.They do have some room betwwen the Pavilions,Idon't see why they would have to break up the circle to add more countrys.I hope that theory/rumor dosn't come to pass.:dazzle:

The original idea was *always* to have three lagoons. The central large one that we know as World Showcase Lagoon is the only one that made the final cut. The other two were to be smaller lagoons behind the other countries, just as described here. In the end, the three lagoons would intentionally form a very large hidden mickey, as well as give a great deal of expansion room for future countries.

I'd say you have nothing to worry about these days, given that they rarely pay attention to the countries that they DO have (asside from the Canada film that was talked about for years). The odds of them being in dire need for that much expansion room is almost laughable at this point. One new country's construction would be shocking - let alone "running out of room" and a frantic scramble to find space for others.

Mecha Figment

besides they do not have the room to expand beyond park borders anymore . the american adventure literealy sits right next to the road leading to the beach club, swan and dolphin and the studios back entrance.

Disneyfan1981

I think the Matterhorn at WDW would be unnecessary especially with Everest over at AK, why bring a downsize version of an existing E-Ticket over? Everest is the Matterhorn on Steroids and thus should remain the only Yeti based mountain at WDW.

I like the idea of expanding World Showcase, there are so many countries that could use the Disney Treatment and help introduce new cultures to folks whom may never head there. I can do without the Matterhorn but I hope one day we do see more countries in Epcot the same way I hope Future World and Tomorrowland one day will relive up to their namesakes.

fredtom

The original idea was *always* to have three lagoons. The central large one that we know as World Showcase Lagoon is the only one that made the final cut. The other two were to be smaller lagoons behind the other countries, just as described here. In the end, the three lagoons would intentionally form a very large hidden mickey, as well as give a great deal of expansion room for future countries.

I remember reading prior to the opening of EPCOT that an expanding circle concept was planned that could accommodate sixty countries in three circles. WOW... Wouldn't that have been something?

"An Adventurer's life is best!" :lol:

CarlHS

AWSOME! Another thread about adding a new E-Ticket to the MK.

I LOVE IT.

I'd take any new E-Ticket they could deliver. Don't have a problem with it being Matterhorn personally. I think the blowhards will with Everest and all.

How do you get the snow to reach the riders under the canopies of the train? Blow it in from the sides?

How many think MK needs a new E-Ticket?
(considering they deleted one 10 or so years ago and never replaced it)
(BTW, the question is not which park needs one most, but does MK itself need one after it's 15 year dry spell)

How many think it sould be Matterhorn?

I vote YES (E-Ticket) and NO (to Matterhorn). I think they have several unbuilt mountains that could be orignal to MK.

CarlHS

I'd say you have nothing to worry about these days, given that they rarely pay attention to the countries that they DO have (asside from the Canada film that was talked about for years). The odds of them being in dire need for that much expansion room is almost laughable at this point. One new country's construction would be shocking - let alone "running out of room" and a frantic scramble to find space for others.

Agreed, but the Epcot Resorts lagoon is a derivative of the original idea, and there's still enough room on the other side behind Germany...

With the current ‘growth’ strategies we will never reach this stage though.

tirian

The hidden Mickey is there. The WS lagoon is his center, and the circular Communicore area and the Epcot resorts lake form his ears.

ToTBellHop

I believe Expedition: Everest was supposed to have a "snow" effect but it did not/does not work...

The MK does not need a new E-Ticket, though, of course, new E-Tickets are always welcomed. Three other parks are far more needy, however--DHS and AK, especially.

CarlHS

I believe Expedition: Everest was supposed to have a "snow" effect but it did not/does not work...

The MK does not need a new E-Ticket, though, of course, new E-Tickets are always welcomed. Three other parks are far more needy, however--DHS and AK, especially.

Yes, it does. The mist effect is an on or off kind of thing. Perhaps it runs out of water over the course of the day...

TP2000

That's the first time I've ever heard a reference that senior Disney executives were considering building a clone of the Matterhorn in the Magic Kingdom. And it came from the very top of the parks corporate structure, ________ Nunis, the Jay Rasulo of his day.

You learn something every day.

Magic Kingdom does need more E Tickets though. Somehow I doubt they'll resurrect this Matterhorn Bobsleds idea however.

CSUFSteve

I think the Matterhorn at WDW would be unnecessary especially with Everest over at AK, why bring a downsize version of an existing E-Ticket over? Everest is the Matterhorn on Steroids and thus should remain the only Yeti based mountain at WDW.

I like the idea of expanding World Showcase, there are so many countries that could use the Disney Treatment and help introduce new cultures to folks whom may never head there. I can do without the Matterhorn but I hope one day we do see more countries in Epcot the same way I hope Future World and Tomorrowland one day will relive up to their namesakes.

Totally agree! "Just b/c we can do a thing it does not follow that we must do that thing." Everest is amazing attraction - whether you're a Rhode man or a Baxter man, it's an awesome accomplishment in the current age.

I also don't see how they could push out WS with the road being right there. And I also agree that there don't seem to be an urgent need for this. There are still plenty of places in the existing circle where they could put countries. I have no doubt we'll get a new country eventually - Disney keeps circling around the concept. I'm curious to know how much weight there is to the Canada / Grizzly River Run concept. I'd think that put a lot of pressure on the other countries to pony up some cash for a more competitive offering.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom