Mary Poppins at London theater

jimmyy2krb

Original Poster
I'm planning a trip to London and I thought it might be nice to see the theater play of Mary Poppins at the Prince Edward Theatre? Has anyone seen it? Does it measure up to the film (practically perfect in every way)?

barnum42

I saw it at the Bristol Hippodrome before it went to London. If you like the movie you will like the stage show.

I went expecting something stunning and new given the pre-publicity and how much they spent on it and the boasting of new flying techniques, so from that angle I was disappointed.

However, it's a great adaption of the character, story and book, full of of energy and fun - well worth a visit.

RonAnnArbor

I absolutely loved it in London on stage. Well worth the money and very well received by audiences and critics alike. Now that Billy Elliott has taken over the heavy ticket sales, it should be a bit easier to get tickets too -- they were the hottest ticket in town for about a year and a half until Billy took that over. It is also opening in NYC this fall. One caveat -- while they kept all the movie songs and most of the script, they did incorporate a few new songs, get rid of a few, and they also rewrote portions (in paticular in the second act) to follow the book more closely than the original movie. That makes it a bit more interesting overall, but also sets a darker tone than the movie (i.e. giant stuffed animals holding court over the kids; a mean nanny that feeds castor oil; a more philosophical ending to the show) and it follows the story of the adults more than the original movie did. It was originally advertised as being inappropriate for the under-5 set; although that didn't stop families from bringing their toddlers to the show who then cried every time the show got darker. Loved Loved Loved this show with the original cast - and while it has been a a year and a half now since I saw it, I can't recommend it more -- although I would definately advise you to also try to get tickets to Billy Elliott - the best musical I have seen on a London stage, ever.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom