Marathon Weekend

MaxsDad

I am in a bit of a scramble right now, as our June trip looks to be a no go. I am trying to put something together now for a week that includes Marathon weekend. From what I can tell, it appears rooms/resorts are pretty booked up. However, Crowd Calendar has weekend levels as moderate 5's, etc. So should I expect resorts busy with people who are not on rides at parks, but instead running, etc.? What have you seen in the past?

Ariel484

I am in a bit of a scramble right now, as our June trip looks to be a no go. I am trying to put something together now for a week that includes Marathon weekend. From what I can tell, it appears rooms/resorts are pretty booked up.
Yes. Registration opened in the spring and the races have been sold out for awhile, so people book up early. These race trips are, for the most part, planned out way in advance. :)
However, Crowd Calendar has weekend levels as moderate 5's, etc. So should I expect resorts busy with people who are not on rides at parks, but instead running, etc.? What have you seen in the past?
Here's the schedule:

The 5K will be on Thursday
The 10K will be on Friday
The half is on Saturday
The full is on Sunday

The 5K and 10K will be completed well ahead of park opening. Runners will be totally finished with the half by 10AM (probably way overshooting here)...they'll be cleared out of the Magic Kingdom early and will be running through Future World in Epcot for the last mile of the race between 9 and 10AM.

The full on Sunday is the one where people will still be running the most during park hours. This year I was in the middle-to-back of the pack (that's what happens when you stop for tons of character pictures, but I digress) and I remember passing Everest in Animal Kingdom a few minutes before 9AM. I finished the race at about noon. So there's a good change that on Sunday you'll see runners if you head to Animal Kingdom, Hollywood Studios or Epcot. The course should be completely cleared by 1PM.

So in general I'd say that your wait times really wont be shortened by runners on the courses. Because even though they are running their spectators (family, friends, etc. that made the trip too) will not be. If you're at Epcot at opening on Saturday or Animal Kingdom, Hollywood Studios or Epcot on Sunday before 1PM the runners will be going through the parks and you'll have to wait for a CM to let you cross over the course. Also I have heard that Animal Kingdom CMs normally give priority to runners wanting to hop off the course and onto Everest in the FP line.

From what I have heard Marathon Weekend is more of an issue if you're driving around property due to road closures to set up the race courses...so keep that in mind if you're bringing your own car or renting.

Hope this helps! :)
@dreamfinder @Kristia anything to add?

Upvote 0

dreamfinder

Hope this helps! :)
@dreamfinder @Kristia anything to add?

@Ariel484 hit it pretty square on the head. Thursday and Friday the runners should be well out of Epcot and back at their resort showering before rope drop. Saturday you may run into congestion if you have a MK early AM dining reservation or tour (7ish) as World Drive becomes single lane for a few hours. Sunday is more of the same at the MK, but then AK, DHS, and Epcot will all be open while runners are there.

The resorts are full from people coming down just for the race, for a short weekend around the race, etc. There are a bunch of runners who won't go to the parks after they run, but others will (albeit at a slower pace than normal). They anticipate 60-70k runners between the 4 events (that number does count each event separately, so those of us who do all 4 would be counted as 4 runners) with the half and full each having around 25-30k runners.

The most important thing? Pay attention to all posted signs and directions, and leave extra early Sat/Sun AM if you have definite plans. WDW will make you well aware of any anticipated problems via roadway signs, letters in room/at registration, and even voicemail left on your room phone. If you pay attention to road closures, and any anticipated time delays, you will be fine.

Upvote 0

MaxsDad

Original Poster
Well, the trip is now booked! No turning back!

Thanks ya'll for the response.This is my major takeaways:

Drive carefully (we will have a car). Take buses on weekend if possible.

While the rooms are booked pretty solid, touring plans estimates are accurate. It will not be super packed in the parks as one might expect when rooms are booked. Races inside parks have little impact over the scope of the weekend to foot traffic.

Upvote 0

dreamfinder

Well, the trip is now booked! No turning back!

Thanks ya'll for the response.This is my major takeaways:

Drive carefully (we will have a car). Take buses on weekend if possible.

While the rooms are booked pretty solid, touring plans estimates are accurate. It will not be super packed in the parks as one might expect when rooms are booked. Races inside parks have little impact over the scope of the weekend to foot traffic.

Pretty much. Have fun, and congratulate anyone you see wearing their medals. (We usually shower before going to the parks so shouldn't smell too bad.)

Upvote 0

Kristia

I don't have much to add as @Ariel484 and @dreamfinder summed it up! The busiest days will be the weekend and maybe the Monday after the marathon. Last year we stayed from Thurs-Monday and it was a bit crowded (not as bad as the summer but busy). In 2011, we stayed from Friday - Thurs and the crowds really dropped off after Monday. I think the biggest problem on the weekend is the traffic and trying to get from place to place during the races since they close off a lot of roads. Thursday and Friday shouldn't be a big deal since those are the shorter races and don't incorporate too many roads. Sunday will have the most road closures but the majority of the roads should be open again shortly after noon. Just allow for plenty of travel time on the weekend and try to use the boats and monorails if you can. Have fun!

Upvote 0

awesomeinabox

We did Marathon weekend last year and, as many said, didn't notice any huge crowds. We did notice that most marathoners went back to the hotels and those that did come out at night went to MK for Wishes. The monorails were PACKED in the evening though.

Upvote 0

MaxsDad

Original Poster
@Ariel484 hit it pretty square on the head. Thursday and Friday the runners should be well out of Epcot and back at their resort showering before rope drop. Saturday you may run into congestion if you have a MK early AM dining reservation or tour (7ish) as World Drive becomes single lane for a few hours. Sunday is more of the same at the MK, but then AK, DHS, and Epcot will all be open while runners are there.

The resorts are full from people coming down just for the race, for a short weekend around the race, etc. There are a bunch of runners who won't go to the parks after they run, but others will (albeit at a slower pace than normal). They anticipate 60-70k runners between the 4 events (that number does count each event separately, so those of us who do all 4 would be counted as 4 runners) with the half and full each having around 25-30k runners.

The most important thing? Pay attention to all posted signs and directions, and leave extra early Sat/Sun AM if you have definite plans. WDW will make you well aware of any anticipated problems via roadway signs, letters in room/at registration, and even voicemail left on your room phone. If you pay attention to road closures, and any anticipated time delays, you will be fine.

We want to eat breakfast at Chef Mickeys. The only open slot I saw was for Saturday at 7am. We will be at Beach Club. We will almost certainly have to drive to the Contemp. I will be alert!

Upvote 0

dreamfinder

We want to eat breakfast at Chef Mickeys. The only open slot I saw was for Saturday at 7am. We will be at Beach Club. We will almost certainly have to drive to the Contemp. I will be alert!

I would definitely plan on adding extra time. The first runners start at 5:30, but the last runners won't be starting til 6:15ish. Since the Contemporary is about mile 5, runners will still be going out in front til about 7:30. So until 7:30-7:45, the road that leads to the Contemporary will be a single lane, 30 cars in one direction, then 30 cars in the other direction. (Or whatever number they choose) So there will be a backup on World Drive that AM.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom