marathon/ planning questions

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
hope this hasn't been asked yet.

We are going to WDW jan 12-19th. I think the marathon is the 13th??? :shrug:

I was wondering if anyone had any advice on what parks are the ones to avoid this day due to the marathon?? it is the first day we planned to go to parks (12th is travel day only) we planned on AK then MGM for Fantasmic at night. Any thoughts/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

SpongeScott

hope this hasn't been asked yet.

We are going to WDW jan 12-19th. I think the marathon is the 13th??? :shrug:

I was wondering if anyone had any advice on what parks are the ones to avoid this day due to the marathon?? it is the first day we planned to go to parks (12th is travel day only) we planned on AK then MGM for Fantasmic at night. Any thoughts/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
The half-marathon is on the 12th, the full on the 13th. Both races start at 6:00am, so the full on Sunday will be the one to disrupt you the most. MK might be your best bet to do first on the 13th since that is the park that is run through first. I believe that AK is next, then MGM, then finishing up at Epcot. Some marathoners will take close to 6 hours to finish, so plan accordingly for which park and for travel on the road.

Upvote 0

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Original Poster
Now, I only run when chased:)
However, if you're going to do a marathon, what better place? Imagine the scenery as you would be running through. I may be wrong, but I doubt that they just run and leave.

Upvote 0

dsnyfreak

Now, I only run when chased:)
However, if you're going to do a marathon, what better place? Imagine the scenery as you would be running through. I may be wrong, but I doubt that they just run and leave.
YES!I ONLY RUN WHEN BEING CHASED AND THAT NEVER HAPPENS.WHY RUN? I DON'T EVEN RUN AT PARK OPENINGS. THERES REALLY NO NEED TO. THE RIDES WILL ALL STILL BE THERE WHEN I GET TO THEM. I KNOW THEY PROBABLY VISIT THE PARKS AS WELL BUT STILL.

Upvote 0
I googled it and on the wide world of sports page they showed a map for the 2008 marathon. The Full Marathon goes through Epcot first followed by MK, then AK then MGM. The 1/2 Marathon goes through MK first and ends in Epcot

Upvote 0

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Original Poster
I googled it and on the wide world of sports page they showed a map for the 2008 marathon. The Full Marathon goes through Epcot first followed by MK, then AK then MGM. The 1/2 Marathon goes through MK first and ends in Epcot

okay, so then maybe i should still go to AK in the morning, but then choose another park than MGM for the evening. thanks!

Upvote 0

SpongeScott

okay, so then maybe i should still go to AK in the morning, but then choose another park than MGM for the evening. thanks!
Remember, the race starts at 6:00am, so only your best runners will be done by 9:00am. Going to AK in the morning is going to put you right in the middle of a bunch of runners. MK will be clear of runners by 9:00.

Upvote 0

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Original Poster
that's true, SpongeScott. i forgot to take that into account. this is just so new to me. its hard enough sometimes to plan what days are best to go to which park as it is. thankfully there is all kinds of help to be found here, especially from a runner's perspective. thanks

Upvote 0

Phonedave

I JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY SOMEONE WOULD GO ON VACATION AT WDW AND RUN ? I WANNA GO FOR FUN AND RUNNI GIS NOT FUN.:ROFLOL:

LOL

I used to think that way, then I started running, not much, just a bit. About 2 months ago.

I am still no marathon runner, heck I am barely a up to a 5k, but I will tell you, its addictive. I just got back from a trip to WDW with five friends. They were a little shocked when, after a day at the parks, we got back to the resort earlyish (10:00 or so) and I said "I think I'll go for a run" :)

I plan on running in the WDW marathon, if not in 2009, then most assuredly in 2010

-dave

Upvote 0

SpongeScott

LOL

I used to think that way, then I started running, not much, just a bit. About 2 months ago.

I am still no marathon runner, heck I am barely a up to a 5k, but I will tell you, its addictive. I just got back from a trip to WDW with five friends. They were a little shocked when, after a day at the parks, we got back to the resort earlyish (10:00 or so) and I said "I think I'll go for a run" :)

I plan on running in the WDW marathon, if not in 2009, then most assuredly in 2010

-dave
Go for it in 2009! I started seriously running for 2008's race in late July. My goal is to finish, so I'm not in a do-or-die regimen. I feel great and I've lost 15 pounds since I started running.

Do it!

Upvote 0

Greenlawler

I have been training since May for the Marathon. I have lost considerable weight, though not as much as I would like becuase I am eating like a horse to keep my energy up.
The funny thing is the whole reason my wife and I are doing it, is we wanted an excuse to go to Disney again. We love the characters and heard they put out some rare ones for the event so that was the clincher.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom