Many first timers have decide not to return after being at WDW between XMAS & NY?

durangojim

Original Poster
My wife and I were talking after seeing recent wait times for lines and wondering how many people who have choosen to go to WDW for the first time, choose this week, and because of the crowds decide never to return. We've been during this week three times, and fortunately we're frequent visitors so we don't feel the need to do everything, but I could see folks being turned off by the numbers of crowds. Anyone agree or think I'm way off?

Airborne786

My wife and I were talking after seeing recent wait times for lines and wondering how many people who have choosen to go to WDW for the first time, choose this week, and because of the crowds decide never to return. We've been during this week three times, and fortunately we're frequent visitors so we don't feel the need to do everything, but I could see folks being turned off by the numbers of crowds. Anyone agree or think I'm way off?
I agree, as a cast member i have had a number of first time guests tell me that they are never returning to the parks, because they are told that they cant stand here and a re constantly being hit with strollers and balloons. I simply tell them if you come back after the holidays you will see that we are not normally this packed, and have a magical evening.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
My first trip was during Spring Break, my reaction was to never go again at that time of year, not never ever!

I think anyone who would go without doing enough advance research to know what they were getting themselves into might decide to never go again, but I honestly think that would apply no matter when they went. Even in the slowest times at WDW there are major frustrations to be experienced if you don't plan ahead. ADRs, understanding FastPass, choosing resorts and understanding transportation can all annoy the hell out of an unprepared guest.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I am sure it happens all the time. We have all heard the stories about people going over 4th of July with no dining reservations, get to the parks at 1:00 PM and then being absolutely flabbergasted that the parks are so crowded and they just can't walk up to CRT and be seated. They then proclaim that Disney sucks and they will never go back.

IMHO... their loss. I have no compassion for people that blame someone else for their own ignorance.

jlevis

I have seen it said that a vacation to Disney World is like no other in the amount of planning and efort it takes. I think that is true until you have been there many, many times then you can relax and just go.

surfsupdon

We went once during that time in 2002. And then got addicted to the energy and extended hours and boosted entertainment and went back every year till 2006.

Haven't been that week again since they stopped offering AP rates during that time.

Murphketeer

I have often wondered the % of the big crowds were annual pass holders. If it were high, you'd think Disney might consider an off peak annual pass to help control this a little better. Of course the full access pass would be at a premium.

durangojim

Original Poster
I have often wondered the % of the big crowds were annual pass holders. If it were high, you'd think Disney might consider an off peak annual pass to help control this a little better. Of course the full access pass would be at a premium.

I would have to imagine that most AP holders don't go during that week. Back in 2004, I was able to get 2 courtyard view rooms at the WL with an AP rate for $122/night. Not having an AP rate and seeing the rack rates they charge during that week make me not want to go during that week again, and I'd imagine a number of AP holders would feel the same. I might consider arriving 12/30 or 12/31 and paying the crazy rates for a night or two, but never for more than that.

surfsupdon

I would have to imagine that most AP holders don't go during that week. Back in 2004, I was able to get 2 courtyard view rooms at the WL with an AP rate for $122/night. Not having an AP rate and seeing the rack rates they charge during that week make me not want to go during that week again, and I'd imagine a number of AP holders would feel the same. I might consider arriving 12/30 or 12/31 and paying the crazy rates for a night or two, but never for more than that.

That is EXACTLY why we do not go any longer. AP rate at Yacht Club was 204/night for Christmas Week.

Now that it is night-by-night pricing, there is NO WAY we would pay 550+ a night for those rooms.

Florida_is_hot

I will never go to Disney again between Christmas and New Years too crowded.
No magic waiting over an hour on all attractions and not being able to move.

July 4th too hot and I can think of nothing that be more fun than putting up with crowds, heat and humidity.

I generally avoid Florida all summer., kids are not in school, vacation time, 90 plus with 100% humidity.

Mickey_777

Surely some families will hate the idea of going back because all they took home from thier trip were memories of the crowds and how crazy it was. But other families, in spit of the crowds, will be able to think back and smile at those little things that they enjoyed. They'll be the ones that go back even after having visited during the holidays/crazy season.

Mr.Skunkape

I would think that a large percent of people only visit WDW once. I know several people who looked at Disney world as a rite of passage trip that they have to take thier children on once and never go back again. I remember reading the WDW parks combined for around 40 million people the 4 parks in 2010. With that many people if more than 5% became yearly visiters each year combined with all of us who visit every year already we would never be able to get a resort room.

swissamy

As Annual Passholders, we have in years past adored coming to WDW the day after Christmas and staying until the day after New Years Day - but that was in years past when
1. We didn't have children so we had the freedom and flexibility that we do not have now
2. There was no Dining Plan so the restaurant crowds and atmosphere were different (no free dining makes you appreciate your meal)
3. AP rates were still in place and reasonable and you could pay 150 for the Beach Club...

Oh how times have changed, this yr we are coming on the 2nd because to stay at POP on the night of Jan 1st was $184 plus tax - prices have increased, dining plan had changed eating at restaurants and the continued crowds during holiday week are no longer appealing - I don't see how 1st timers could help but be turned off!

Minnie1976

I wouldn't think it is a good time for 1st timers. You really have to know how to use your time especially if staying on property with the extra hours. We use the early hours and late hours and fast passes. We were there from Dec. 21-27 of this year and went on all the attractions we wanted and some many times. We have been coming to disney since 1976, and this was our
3rd Christmas trip. We had a wonderful time!!!

I saw something this trip that I never saw before and that was people waiting at fast pass for their time to enter. I don't get it. You would think there was a long fast pass line and when you managed to get up front you were able to walk in. I guess these people don't understand how to use fast pass.

Timekeeper

I'm sure that there are plenty of guests who would prefer to visit during non-peak times. However, sometimes the "public holidays" are an out-of-town family's only option with respect to parental work responsibilities and having children out of school, etc. Thus, there will always be peak attendance times (and in turn, for the benefit of locals, there will always be non-peak attendance times).

Besides, to WDW's credit, WDW does offer some unique experiences during the holidays as an incentive to visit during this crazy time.

durangojim

Original Poster
I'm sure that there are plenty of guests who would prefer to visit during non-peak times. However, sometimes the "public holidays" are an out-of-town family's only option with respect to parental work responsibilities and having children out of school, etc. Thus, there will always be peak attendance times (and in turn, for the benefit of locals, there will always be non-peak attendance times).

Besides, to WDW's credit, WDW does offer some unique experiences during the holidays as an incentive to visit during this crazy time.

I agree, I'm just wondering if the experience would turn off the average park goer.

Timekeeper

I agree, I'm just wondering if the experience would turn off the average park goer.

Yeah, I suppose that there's a line between being "turned off" and "deciding never to do that again." I imagine that such overwhelming crowd congestion and attraction wait times would turn off just about everybody. I can't imagine people enjoying that kind of environment. That's like someone stating that they enjoy rush hour traffic jams on the highway. I suppose someone out there might like it, but not most of us.

For the people that more or less have to visit during these time periods, it's - unfortunately - something that they just have to put up with. And it's not like non-Disney parks are going to be any less stressful. Islands of Adventure reached capacity, and entrance to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter area required a 2 hour standby wait time, which was reminiscent of when the area first opened.

Welcome to the tourist capital of the world during the holidays :cry:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom