Make-A-Wish Post Disney Depression

Ticcitaylorr

Original Poster
Something I've noticed is that nobody talks about how sad it is after a Make-A-Wish trip. I see a lot of "Disney Depression" but haven't seen anyone talk about MAW in particular. I am so grateful for organizations like Make-A-Wish that helped my family go places we never would have otherwise. Two of my sisters are very sick, and both got wishes. One from MAW and one from The Dream Factory. We got to go on a cruise in 2015 and this July we went to Disney World. We had the time of our lives both times.

For some background info, we NEVER would have been able to do this without the wishes. Never. Before my sisters got sick we never even dared to think about doing these things. And when we got these wishes we were so happy. We were almost normal. I have never seen my sister happier than I saw her watching the fireworks at the Magic Kingdom on our last day. Even though she had to miss some time because she was unable to move. She was happy. I was happy. I remember trying to hold back the tears while watching. Because I know we will never go back. I see a lot of people saying the only thing that helps is planning the next trip. For us there is no next trip. How do I deal with this?

Paper straw fan

Wow. Thank you for the insight about these trips- I really have no answer, I know there’s always a bit of post trip blues when I have to go back to real life, but it’s safe to say that’s not as difficult for most of us here. I’d say try and talk about how much fun you had with your sisters, enjoy the memory of seeing them truly happy during the trip, and hopefully they got some mementos to remind them of the good time.

Whenever I see groups of Make a wish families, I genuinely hope that they have the time of their lives. I’m as guilty as others on here of complaining about this and that, but as selfish as I can be at times, I always understand those trips are far more important than mine.

I wish I had a good answer. I wish your family could have enjoyed the park under different circumstances. I’d say take solace in the knowledge that your sisters had a hopefully outstanding time, and that hopefully it can still bring a smile to their faces remembering how amazing the sights and sounds at WDW were to them.

Ticcitaylorr

Original Poster
Thank you for the advice, and thank you for your kindness to all make-a-wish families. We have never experienced such kindness as we did at Disney. Moving two wheelchairs around a crowded place should be a nightmare, but it wasn't. We also got a day at universal and the difference was crazy! Disney people are some of the nicest people ever.

Paper straw fan

I’m truly grateful your family had a good time. I hope somehow you can get back there while your sisters can enjoy. We’ve given to MAW before and now I’d say I’m going to again.

Universal can be a bit crazier, I’ve seen MAW families there before too- it definitely looks like more of a challenge there, I know they try but I think WDW is a little better prepared. Hopefully that trip was still memorable too

Alice a

This is an excellent post. While it's nowhere near your experience, when I miss WDW, I watch old ride and park videos on YouTube, and listen to podcasts, and visit websites that focus on park and ride history.

Learning about how the parks used to be is interesting, and it hurts less than reading about all the stuff that's happening now or in the future that I may not get to experience. I recommend the retro WDW podcast, the yesterland YouTube channel, and the parkeology website, in particular. Hang in there!

JIMINYCR

I'm glad you were able to go to WDW and have the opportunity to bring some joy to your loved ones and yourself. I'd say keep the trip in your memory as a good experience and what it meant to you and them.
Dont say youll never go back because you never know what your future will hold for you. There are many of us who as children never dreamt of being able to go to WDW but did see that dream realized as adults with our spouses and children later in life. You can keep in touch with your Disney side by reading about Disney and its history. Stay in touch with various sites like this one and you could get a subsciption to Disney Celebrations magazine. Continue to dream, find a way to save your money and it can come true that you will get back one day. By the way... my DW and I have sponsored a Make A wish dream come true.

Walt Disney1955

I guess that puts things in perspective a bit. I just came back this week from Disney myself. Our kids didn't want to leave Orlando anymore than I did or my wife. But such is life and our life at home is reality. So while that is sad, and the feeling of the unknown of when we go again (I don't have the luxury of knowing I can afford another trip next year until it happens) nothing compares with going with someone who is expected to die and truly NEVER come back. I wanted my mother to come with us on this trip but because of health problems she couldn't and many of my memories were started because of her and my dad. I got loving WDW because of those trips as a kid.

But, I mean she MIGHT still come again someday even if you know your parents are getting older. But she isn't dying either.

This must have been quite bittersweet for you to see.

Jakenshin

I sort of understand how you feel. I was at wdw for Halloween for my daughter's wish trip. This has been by far the hardest year of my life, and to cap it with such an amazing dream of a vacation...There's no coming back from that. I've never experienced "post trip depression" before this, but I have to imagine this is worse than it would be otherwise because of the context. My daughter's prognosis is good, and I do hope to be able to take her back one day, but even so I know it won't be the same. The decision that I've made to try to help me cope with it is that I want to be a part of that magic for other families like mine. I want to spend time volunteering at the Give Kids The World Village where we stayed, and I hope to work at Disney some day. In the meantime, I'm regularly looking at all the photos and videos from our trip, crops of luv is putting together a scrapbook for us, and I'm watching lots of Disney movies and listening to Disney music. I don't know if any of this will help you, but if you ever want to talk to someone who's been there, feel free to reach out. Best wishes to you and your family.

Jakenshin

Thanks Nick! The Village where we stayed had all sorts of services for wish families, and we left with a long list of non-profits that offered still more services after the trip, including scrapbooking.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom