'MagicBand-only' coming to all remaining Walt Disney World Resort hotels by end of January

JohnD

Understood. I still intend to request KTTW cards as backup keys for my family's rooms when we arrive in April. I also intend to request backup cards for my parents' tickets. Those combined with a credit card still give us full access. Don't mind using the MBs as a convenience but I'm not stupid enough to not have backup. (I lost my last MB over Veterans Day weekend. I was grateful I still had my KTTW card for late-night access to my room and my plastic Mickey AP card for admission/FP+. Could still charge to my KTTW card if I wanted to. But Visa worked just as well. Charges, whether through MB or KTTW, end up there anyway.)

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I can't see them leaving legacy FP active for non-resort guests much beyond the end of January either. Based on this and the wave of permits filed for old FP kiosk removal it seems like all evidence of the former FP system will be wiped away very soon. I thought it would go fast, but the speed it's moving at is still surprising me.

LuvtheGoof

DVC Guru
Premium Member
I don't think you will be able to request "back-up" cards. My feeling is that you can get one or the other, but not both, after that date.

GrumpyFan

I wonder if they'll keep the card machines around at the resorts, just in case they need to create cards, in lieu of a shortage of MBs or some technical issue. Although, technically, if the MB works, or fails to work, then the card will follow in the same manner.

Tom

Beta Return
I wonder if they'll keep the card machines around at the resorts, just in case they need to create cards, in lieu of a shortage of MBs or some technical issue. Although, technically, if the MB works, or fails to work, then the card will follow in the same manner.

They're going to continue offering the plastic cards, they just won't have an active magnetic stripe on them. They have an embedded RFID chip (passive only, not the active one) and will function exactly like a MB. Or so we're told.

doctornick

They have said all along that people will not be required to use MBs and can always request a card as an alternative.

I suspect they would allow guests to continue to get a KTTW card (without the mag stripe obviously) as a "backup" but will probably not give them out automatically. Only on request. Given a backup KTTW card is no different from when people would get a duplicate KTTW card due to one being lost or not working, which happened all the time. It's not a big expense.

PolynesianPrincess

Do we know if legacy FP will be available for offsite guests? I know they had rolled out theFP+ at AK, but I was under the assumption that legacy FP was still in use at MK, Epcot and DHS?

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Do we know if legacy FP will be available for offsite guests? I know they had rolled out theFP+ at AK, but I was under the assumption that legacy FP was still in use at MK, Epcot and DHS?
Legacy FP is currently in use at those 3 parks and can be used by offsite guests. Legacy FP will be completely removed soon however.

PolynesianPrincess

Legacy FP is currently in use at those 3 parks and can be used by offsite guests. Legacy FP will be completely removed soon however.

OK, thank you! We will be there at DHS on 2/1 and have an AP so we were hopefully going to try and get FP with those if they are still there. Fingers crossed!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom