Magic vs Dream? Oceanview vs Veranda?

Club Cooloholic

Original Poster
Looking for some advice.
Thinking of doing another cruise, we just finished the Disney Dream and had a Veranda on the 8th deck. I am considering a 4 night Magic cruise out of Miami, its about 600 dollars more than a 3 Night Dream out of Port Canaveral.
I can save another 400 if I do an Deluxe Oceanview on the first deck of the Magic, but have never stayed that low or in a non veranda room(I have only cruised 3 times total and always with a balcony.
The Dream was our first Disney cruise and kids(5 and 8) liked the midship and kids club, which I know the Magic does not have but maybe the Magic has some pros over the Dream?
Let me know your thoughts!

ChuckElias

The Magic does have the Oceaneer's Club and the Oceaneer's Lab. They're just laid out differently than the Dream. On the Magic, they are completely separate spaces. They have great kids' activities and character interactions. It's just different, that's all.

I love the Magic's adult space, even more than the Dream. They've re-imagineered it, so it's no longer Beat Street :( . It's now called After Hours. The piano bar is now Keys (instead of Sessions) but it's essentially the same. Rockin' Bar D is now called Fathoms. It's a very nice setting, a little more of a soothing atmosphere, I think. It's more of an ocean-colors type of theme. And Diversions (God rest its soul) is now O'Gills. Diversions was my favorite "lounge" on the Magic, so that change is the one that I like the least. However, I like this version of O'Gills 1,000 times better than the version on the Fantasy. It's brighter, roomier and kept more its sports bar feel.

The Magic doesn't have the bells and whistles of the Dream and Fantasy (AquaDuck, interactive art, Detective Agency), but they did add the AquaDunk (which I never tried because it was too cold in Iceland). And for me, it has a nicer smaller feel to it. I like the layout of the Quick Service dining on Deck 9 on the Magic much better than the cramped layout on the Dream. And I'm really looking forward to getting back onto the Magic once the Tangled-themed restaurant replaces Carioca's (which is fine, but not much of an improvement over Parrot Cay).

Club Cooloholic

Original Poster
in I'm
The Magic does have the Oceaneer's Club and the Oceaneer's Lab. They're just laid out differently than the Dream. On the Magic, they are completely separate spaces. They have great kids' activities and character interactions. It's just different, that's all.

I love the Magic's adult space, even more than the Dream. They've re-imagineered it, so it's no longer Beat Street :( . It's now called After Hours. The piano bar is now Keys (instead of Sessions) but it's essentially the same. Rockin' Bar D is now called Fathoms. It's a very nice setting, a little more of a soothing atmosphere, I think. It's more of an ocean-colors type of theme. And Diversions (God rest its soul) is now O'Gills. Diversions was my favorite "lounge" on the Magic, so that change is the one that I like the least. However, I like this version of O'Gills 1,000 times better than the version on the Fantasy. It's brighter, roomier and kept more its sports bar feel.

The Magic doesn't have the bells and whistles of the Dream and Fantasy (AquaDuck, interactive art, Detective Agency), but they did add the AquaDunk (which I never tried because it was too cold in Iceland). And for me, it has a nicer smaller feel to it. I like the layout of the Quick Service dining on Deck 9 on the Magic much better than the cramped layout on the Dream. And I'm really looking forward to getting back onto the Magic once the Tangled-themed restaurant replaces Carioca's (which is fine, but not much of an improvement over Parrot Cay).
Awesome. I think you sold me on the Magic. Are ocean view the same size inside as veranda?

NelleBelle

I have to say that as someone who had only sailed on the Fantasy several times, I was very hesitant about doing a sailing on the Magic. That is now my favorite ship! Granted, we still did the verandah (DH gets seasick occasionally and says he "must" have that verandah, even though he is a tightwad--I am not complaining)! It was so much easier to get around, loved the layout, and LOVED the shows on the ship! I will say, the main lobby threw me for a loop as it was a bit vertically challenged from what I was used to, but other than that...love it!!! Oh, and the adults pool is so much nicer than the Fantasy/Dream pool. That whole adults-only area is much better, IMO. Now, if I sailed with my older kids, I might think about the Fantasy (won't do the Dream...too short of cruises) only because they love the mini-golf. But frankly, if there's a pool and screen, they'd be happy! We likely won't do another DCL until the new ships come out, unless there is a really good deal to be had on the Magic :p

C&D

Our family loves the Magic because its smaller. The two big ships are just to big for us. To each his own I guess.
We too feel the Magic and Wonder to be somewhat a "less is more" experience. But don't get me wrong, the Fantasy and Dream are great too, and depending on destination and itinerary, pick without prejudice.

Club Cooloholic

Original Poster
Thanks for the input guys. I think we are doing the Magic, while I like the balcony and have always done that before, I just can't justify and extra 1000 for it especially for a February cruise

mikenatcity1

Thanks for the input guys. I think we are doing the Magic, while I like the balcony and have always done that before, I just can't justify and extra 1000 for it especially for a February cruise

We just got off the Magic and have done the Dream several times. The Toy Story area of the kids space is bar far better on the Magic than the Dream (at least to us adults). They don't have Star Wars, but they have a smaller section of Marvel.

The adult section is not as secluded on the Magic as the Dream, but the spaces are great! One plus- if you like Tangled, O'Gills turns into the Snuggly Duckling on show nights- times for both kids with adults and just adults.

The rooms on the Magic are slightly bigger than the Dream class of ships. We have never done ocean view before (always balcony) but we are going to try an Oceanview in June on the Magic...it's worth a shot, and like you, we can't justify the large cost associated with the veranda.

Have a great cruise! In the end, no matter which ship, they all are wonderful!!!

LSLS

So we have done both oceanview and verandah on the Dream. One thing to keep in mind, when you see the square footage, that includes the verandah. So the oceanview and verandah rooms you are looking at say they are the same square footage, the verandah actually has less inside space for you and your stuff because 30 sq feet or so are the balcony (don't remember how big the verandah are).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom