News Magic Kingdom's Main Street Confectionery closing for refurbishment

Nmoody1

I'm all for backstory - and I love to be able to read the rich stories disney creates for stores, rides, destinations.... but if like to see them play out in the parks but read about them in a coffee table book. That way I can live the story in the moment and research it when I'm not there.

Bocabear

Good design would say you shouldn't have to have a coffee table book to tell the backstory of a location in the park...It should reveal itself through the use of props and design... There should not have to literally be a story written down... The Disney of yore would hint at a story....there was no need to make it more specific than that...a certain place, a certain time...the basics without having to hit you over the head with it... Now when the design is much less engaging it feels like there has to be a novel behind everything to explain the unnecessary backstory to a candy shop or snack counter. Just design beautiful engaging spaces that imply a story, and fit the proper theme of the location.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Good design would say you shouldn't have to have a coffee table book to tell the backstory of a location in the park...It should reveal itself through the use of props and design... There should not have to literally be a story written down... The Disney of yore would hint at a story....there was no need to make it more specific than that...a certain place, a certain time...the basics without having to hit you over the head with it... Now when the design is much less engaging it feels like there has to be a novel behind everything to explain the unnecessary backstory to a candy shop or snack counter. Just design beautiful engaging spaces that imply a story, and fit the proper theme of the location.

But... but... Storytelling! Immersive! How else will they post PR fluff articles using those words?

As I've said many, many times - They no longer understand what "immersion" and "storytelling" actually mean. They are simply Disney buzzwords at this point, as they have been overused to the point of meaningless-ness. They run a marathon about a candy shop instead of simply walking a mile.

TikibirdLand

But... but... Storytelling! Immersive! How else will they post PR fluff articles using those words?

As I've said many, many times - They no longer understand what "immersion" and "storytelling" actually mean. They are simply Disney buzzwords at this point, as they have been overused to the point of meaningless-ness. They run a marathon about a candy shop instead of simply walking a mile.
I'm on the page of wanting a coffee-table book (although I don't drink coffee, but I do have a coffee table). I agree that the story they're making is a bit over-the-top. But, I'd like to know more about the making of the attraction: how the animatronics work, special effects, lighting, interior space details. I think I miss a lot about Pandora because I don't know what I'm looking at. Yeah, I see the floating mountains and the water falls. But, I totally miss some of the plants and "animals" hidden in the gardens that I've seen others talk about. That stuff would make great coffee-table books if good photography is combined with good writing.

I also realize that there's not much to tell about the Porte Cochere at the Poly. But, I have a book like this about Oceanic Arts on my Christmas list!

Disney Analyst

Copied from the other site… new updated signage.

1658006535800.jpeg

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
The top half of the sign is acceptable. The bottom half feels like an entirely different composition. Looks like the designer felt compelled to "fill the format" with anything and everything. It's tacky. It's busy and it sucks. Too many typefaces, superfluous scrollwork and ornamental candy additions that are less of an accent and more of an anchor flanking either side of the text in perfect boring symmetry. When is Disney going to get the "less is more" mantra where it matters. What a terribly bad sign design. Overkill.

James Alucobond

The top half of the sign is acceptable. The bottom half feels like an entirely different composition. Looks like the designer felt compelled to "fill the format" with anything and everything. It's tacky. It's busy and it sucks. Too many typefaces, superfluous scrollwork and ornamental candy additions that are less of an accent and more of an anchor flanking either side of the text in perfect boring symmetry. When is Disney going to get the "less is more" mantra where it matters. What a terribly bad sign design. Overkill.
Whenever they do a "less is more" approach, people get upset over the loss of kitsch and character. There's really no satisfying everyone with such things, though I will say that I'm generally baffled that there seems to be neither an on-staff calligrapher nor a font historian.

eddie104

Whenever they do a "less is more" approach, people get upset over the loss of kitsch and character. There's really no satisfying everyone with such things, though I will say that I'm generally baffled that there seems to be neither an on-staff calligrapher nor a font historian.
I was just about to say the same thing but you beat me to it. “Tacky” is a word I commonly associate when people don’t care for Disney’s kitschy style theming. In my opinion it perfectly encapsulates the the Main Street vibe.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom