Magic Kingdom Meet and Greet footage from the 1970's

DarthVader

Sith Lord
Wow, it must have been a cold day that day (look at the Christmas decorations, so it was in the winter). Also the place looks almost deserted - at least compared to 2018

RichC

Wonderful. I never really think about how different the character interactions were back then: very hands-on, very cute. I love how Chip gives the kid a Dutch rub and how Practical Pig...well, I don’t know exactly what he’s doing; inviting the girl to cut a rug, maybe. But that Mickey is such a little imp! Does he goose that teenage girl? And then he photo bombs that couple!

And it’s always a small shock to see that patch of nothingness where BTMR would go.

brb1006

Original Poster
Wonderful. I never really think about how different the character interactions were back then: very hands-on, very cute. I love how Chip gives the kid a Dutch rub and how Practical Pig...well, I don’t know exactly what he’s doing; inviting the girl to cut a rug, maybe. But that Mickey is such a little imp! Does he goose that teenage girl? And then he photo bombs that couple!

And it’s always a small shock to see that patch of nothingness where BTMR would go.
Another video RetroWDW uploaded a while ago showed Mickey walking alone in Main Street while carrying an umbrella a few hours after it rained. He even waved to the camera.

John park hopper

Look how much we've changed. Take any current video of MK today and you'll quickly see a mob of people, dressed like slobs, fully half of whom are obese. Yay 21st-Century.

Your observations were exactly like mine and how I remembered MK in 1972. I was reluctant to comment on the people. However since you did what a change -- and change is not all ways for the better

Walt Disney1955

The funny thing is, in 1972 there were lots of complaints about how fat Americans were getting. Can you believe that? It is hard to imagine. I go back to growing up in the 1980s and I can pinpoint the time kids got fat. It was Nintendo, coupled with growing paranoia (it was starting in the 1990s) that you can't leave your kid alone. Which meant less outside time, and well, look anywhere anytime in 2018 and no one is outside of their home anymore.

No matter what old footage you see, there is one common theme, people - and especially women - always seemed genuinely happier then.

DuckTalesWooHoo1987

The thing I always like about these old videos is they remind me of Walt's saying that "even the trees would keep growing". I've actually still got a lot of videos from the early and mid 80's of parades and me doing meet and greets as a kid. I loved when Winnie wore the hunny pot on his head.

DuckTalesWooHoo1987

The funny thing is, in 1972 there were lots of complaints about how fat Americans were getting. Can you believe that? It is hard to imagine. I go back to growing up in the 1980s and I can pinpoint the time kids got fat. It was Nintendo, coupled with growing paranoia (it was starting in the 1990s) that you can't leave your kid alone. Which meant less outside time, and well, look anywhere anytime in 2018 and no one is outside of their home anymore.

No matter what old footage you see, there is one common theme, people - and especially women - always seemed genuinely happier then.
I was thinking the other day how kids seem to always be inside. I've lived on a 40 acre farm my whole life and my kids love playing outside and could stay out there all day.

brb1006

Original Poster
Found the video of Mickey walking down Main Street with an umbrella. This is from 1972 and shows up at 05:00 mark of the video.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom