Magic Journeys

JLW11Hi

Original Poster
Ok, here is another music question.

I have "discovered" something that I never knew before, but you Disney buffs would probably know all about. I have a WDW song book that was published before MGM ever opened, and all of the old Epcot attractions were still up and running.

One song I found in the book is called "Magic Journeys", and the book said it is from Disneyland's and WDW's Fantasyland Theater (I am guessing that is where Legend of the Lion King used to be). Anyway, I think I heard about this before, and it was a 3D show. The song was copywrited in 1982, and was writen by the Sherman Bros.

Anyway, here is my question: I have an old background music mp3 for Journey into Imagination. Ever since I got it, I have only recognized the songs "One Little Spark" and "Makin Memories", which I also have in my music book, by the way. There was one song, however, that I just recognized as Magic Journeys. So was this show once at the JII pavillion? I am guessing it would have been in the HISTA theater, where Captain EO must have replaced it. Thanks for any info!

pheneix

Yep, Magic Journeys was in the HISTA theater in 1982 when the park opened. It was moved to the MK when Captain EO was due to replace it.

tiggerlover1971

you are correct it was the first show there before captain eo it was a three d show cant remember what it was about but my family told me i fell asleep in it everytime we went into it :lol:

DCA Fan

I think it was about kids who traveled through their imagination, going to places like the circus, and stuff.

Am I correct?

bearboysnc

Back in the early 80's at DL, there was an open air theater in front of Space Mountian. They had character shows, bands, etc. One summer they began showing "Magic Journeys" a 3d movie. The movie was supposed to be from a childs eye. It didn't really have a story. It was just settings that showed off the 3d effects. A circus, a playground, a magician. It was kinda creepy.

It was the first major use of "polorized lenses" At the time it was a MAJOR advance from the stupid red/blue glasses from the 50's. (I think it was sponsored by Poloroid but I'm not sure) About a year or so later... it premeired with the opening of the Imagination Pavilion. It was fairly popular, but pretty run of the mill.

THeres a little snippet here: http://yesterland.com/eo.html

ocolectr

From http://yesterland.com/spaceman.html

Magic Journeys (1984-1986)
View a delightful 3-D movie direct from the Kodak pavilion at Yester-Epcot.

----------------------------------------------

This premiered in the Magic Eye Theater at the Journey into Imagination pavilion in 1982. By the time I visited EPCOT in 1987, it had already been replaced by Captain EO.

I finally got to see it when it moved to Fantasyland at the Magic Kingdom. This had to be one of the most boring things I had ever seen.

I had more fun going to Energy and listening to "Oil shale - the rock that burns."

:lol:

cm1988

Magic Journeys Fan

I was a fan of Magic Journeys because it was a "theme" film, reminiscent of the kind of movies the Canadian Film Board once produced for Expo67 in Montreal.

Maybe some of my fellow baby-boomers out there will remember the Canadian Pacific/Cominco pavilion, Canadian National Railways, Labyrinth and other themed films at Expo. Does anyone remember "To Be Alive!" at Johnson's Wax in New York... 1964/1965?

Yes, movies were in color then and we had automobiles and indoor plumbing.

The theme for "Journey Into Imagination" was (surprise!) imagination. At the beginning of the film, a half dozen young children... about 8-10 years old... ran through a blossoming orchard, flopped down on their backs to look up at the sky, and began naming shapes they saw in the clouds.

Just as in the ride-through attraction, the items named in that introductory sequence were the images used in the body of the film.

The film was surrealistic, very much like a dream where several images mignt be in one scene, then one would be singled out as a transition to the next scene. For example, the young androgynous child who was the lead kneels down to look at a toy carrousel, then hears carrousel music and then is riding. At one point, a toy dirigible very reminiscent of Dreamfinder's machine clatters across as a 3-D image. People would applaud and - as is so often done in 3-D movies - reach for it.

Peace, everyone.

Dizknee_Phreek

i 'saw' MJ only once. (meaning, i was in the theater, but too frightened to put on the 3-d glasses and actually watch...i was 7 at the time...3-d shows scared the heck outta me!) anyway, from what i 'saw' of it (occasionally, i would look at the screen without the glasses on...it was a big blur, but i could still make things out) it was really creepy! and the song made it even creepier! i don't know why, but that song has ALWAYS freaked me out!!

btw, JLW11Hi, what's the name of that book you have? cuz i have a songbook as well with music from DL and WDW (both Magic Kingdoms and Epcot) it has 25 songs from 18 attractions. it's called A Souvenir Disney Songbook: Favorite Songs from Disneyland & Walt Disney World and is copyrighted 1994. just wonderin if we have the same book! :)

JLW11Hi

Original Poster
Originally posted by Dizknee_Phreek

btw, JLW11Hi, what's the name of that book you have? cuz i have a songbook as well with music from DL and WDW (both Magic Kingdoms and Epcot) it has 25 songs from 18 attractions. it's called A Souvenir Disney Songbook: Favorite Songs from Disneyland & Walt Disney World and is copyrighted 1994. just wonderin if we have the same book! :)

Yep! That's the one! I really like it, especially after learning about all the old attractions (I was too young to remember all of the original attractions at Epcot when I went there).

It is a nice song, but I can see how it might have freaked you out :)

JLW11Hi

Original Poster
Originally posted by Becky
:)

I liked the pre-show film, "What's the matter Deloris?"

:D

Was that when it was at the Fantasyland theater? because I think that when it was at Epcot, the pre show was the Kodak advertizement film with "Makin' Memories"

Dizknee_Phreek

Originally posted by JLW11Hi

Yep! That's the one! I really like it, especially after learning about all the old attractions (I was too young to remember all of the original attractions at Epcot when I went there).

It is a nice song, but I can see how it might have freaked you out :)

awesome! yeah, i really like it too! it's fun to learn the songs on keyboard/piano (or whatever type of instrument a person just so happen may play) i used to know pretty much all of There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow on keyboard...but it's been too long since i've tried to play it, so i've forgotten it. i also tried to learn Golden Dream but i didn't stick with it (i really wish instead of New World Bound, they had put Two Brothers in for AA...i love that song!)
for me, one of the main reasons i like it, is because it brings back so many great memories...not only because of all the original (and newer) songs in it for given attractions, but also because of the great pics they have in it, especially of attractions of the past (Horizons, WoM, Kitchen Kabaret)

JLW11Hi

Original Poster
Originally posted by Dizknee_Phreek

awesome! yeah, i really like it too! it's fun to learn the songs on keyboard/piano (or whatever type of instrument a person just so happen may play) i used to know pretty much all of There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow on keyboard...but it's been too long since i've tried to play it, so i've forgotten it. i also tried to learn Golden Dream but i didn't stick with it (i really wish instead of New World Bound, they had put Two Brothers in for AA...i love that song!)
for me, one of the main reasons i like it, is because it brings back so many great memories...not only because of all the original (and newer) songs in it for given attractions, but also because of the great pics they have in it, especially of attractions of the past (Horizons, WoM, Kitchen Kabaret)

Yes, I play the piano, and it is fun to play all the songs. I can play all the songs pretty decent (I'm a pretty good sight reader). The book has great pics, because, honestly, nothing in the Epcot pics is the same nowadays.

I have been trying to find mp3s of all the songs that aren't around anymore, and I've found quite a few. I still need to get "Universe of Energy", all the Kitchen Kabaret songs, and "We've come So Far" from Space Mountain.

Becky

JLW

It was the pre-show for a few years in the building they used later for the Lion King show. I miss the Lion King:cry:

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973
I remember the first time I saw Magic Journeys. It was in Dec. of '82. In fact Magic Journeys was the only attraction open in the Imagination pavillion at the time. The Journey into Imagination ride was not even finished yet. Anyway, back to the movie. This was the first real 3-D movie I had ever seen. I was blown away from the beginning to the end, especially when the title "Magic Journeys" would spin out over the audience. I remember commenting the lack of a real story in this movie actually made the effects better. The movie didn't have to try to fit in the 3-D images, because that's what it was all about. As for the soundtrack, I really enjoy listening to it. It fit with the mood of the film very well. During the summer of '84, I happened to see Magic Journeys again at DL in the open air theatre in front of Space Mountain. Then once again, I saw it at WDW, but this time in the Fantasyland Theatre in MK, after Captain EO had kicked it out of EPCOT. Loved it then, would love to see it again.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom