Magic Bands to open door without being near?

Nubs70

If magic bands were set to some sort.of near field range, All value rooms.would be open at night due to madic band sleeping right next to the door

danlb_2000

Premium Member
They are working on it in the app that you can unlock your door from a distance, not with magic bands.

Maybe I am missing something, but exactly what would the benefit be of this? The Magic Band is nice because if your hands are full you don't need to pull something out of your pocket, and having the band work from a distance would help even more in this scenario, but having to pull your phone out to unlock the door doesn't help with that.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
If magic bands were set to some sort.of near field range, All value rooms.would be open at night due to madic band sleeping right next to the door

Proximity keys used in cars can tell whether the key is inside the car or out, so presumably if they could do something similar with the bands if they wanted to.

Nubs70

Maybe I am missing something, but exactly what would the benefit be of this? The Magic Band is nice because if your hands are full you don't need to pull something out of your pocket, and having the band work from a distance would help even more in this scenario, but having to pull your phone out to unlock the door doesn't help with that.
As I spend more time at Hilton than I care to, the phone to open option is more trouble than it's worth. The rfid card is.much simpler and quicker.

Card steps.
  1. Reach in pocket
  2. Pull out card
  3. Place against reader
  4. Open door
Phone steps.
  1. Reach in pocket
  2. Pull out phone
  3. Enter password/thumbprint
  4. Open app
  5. Select "door key"
  6. Wait for phone to sync to door/back office
  7. Press open door
  8. Open door.

Nubs70

Proximity keys used in cars can tell whether the key is inside the car or out, so presumably if they could do something similar with the bands if they wanted to.
This is true. But how much retooling would be needed to install this feature with, as you have stated prior, negligible benefit to either WDW or customer?

Tony the Tigger

I would just prefer the sensor to be in an easier-to-apply-your-wrist part of the door. Like centered and higher up.

Either that or make the magic band work by any part of the circle touching - even the sides - rather than “Mickey to Mickey.”

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Remember you said it wouldn't happen? Lol
I'd be curious to see how they got around the various issues.

I said strongly doubt, because without the affirmative touch, it means the passive sensor needs to be constantly running.

Is housekeeping changing the batteries regularly?
What happens when the lock has multiple hits, one that is allowed and one that is not, for example?

The idea of "open the door and it knows you are there"...works, but only partially. There are a lot of technical issues, and if Disney has worked them out, I'd like to know that.

I don't keep up on Disney News like I used to, share with me how they have done that now?

Pirate Magic

Disney is going to start testing on My Disney Experience "digital key" over the next few days according to themeparktourist.com . This test is with Wilderness Lodge guest.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom