Magic Bands, Key to the World Card, and Tickets/Passes

JohnD

Original Poster
Disney, take note. The Key to the World Card (KTTW) and Tickets/Annual Passes (APs) are still needed along with the Magic Band (MB). As I was reminded more than once by CMs, MBs are a convenience, nothing more.

Yesterday, I lost my MB. Without the MB, I still needed my KTTW for room access (I somehow couldn't re-connect room access to a replacement band) and my AP for park entrance, merchandise discounts, and food discounts connected to my Tables in Wonderland card.

Here's the real deal on the MB. I preface this by saying I enjoy going to WDW but the fact is they are still a corporation looking to make a profit. It's the most current painless means to pay for stuff and not feel the pain. As Dave Ramsey would remind you, you feel the pain when you give up a Ben Franklin. Pay with a credit card, well, it's a quick swipe but you still know it has an account that you need to pay off. With an MB, now it's just touch and pay and all charges to directly to your room account. Would could be more convenient than that?

All this to say, Disney, issue the MBs for convenience, but the cards are a definite must-have that also must be issued.

orky8

Disney, take note. The Key to the World Card (KTTW) and Tickets/Annual Passes (APs) are still needed along with the Magic Band (MB). As I was reminded more than once by CMs, MBs are a convenience, nothing more.

Yesterday, I lost my MB. Without the MB, I still needed my KTTW for room access (I somehow couldn't re-connect room access to a replacement band) and my AP for park entrance, merchandise discounts, and food discounts connected to my Tables in Wonderland card.

Here's the real deal on the MB. I preface this by saying I enjoy going to WDW but the fact is they are still a corporation looking to make a profit. It's the most current painless means to pay for stuff and not feel the pain. As Dave Ramsey would remind you, you feel the pain when you give up a Ben Franklin. Pay with a credit card, well, it's a quick swipe but you still know it has an account that you need to pay off. With an MB, now it's just touch and pay and all charges to directly to your room account. Would could be more convenient than that?

All this to say, Disney, issue the MBs for convenience, but the cards are a definite must-have that also must be issued.

You're premise is flawed. You needed a KTTW card because you lost your MB is like saying you needed a MB to get into your room because you lost your KTTW card. Losing one has nothing to do with the other. There didn't used to be backups to KTTW cards -- when you lost one, you got a new one, and theoretically same could be done for MB (now whether Disney's screwed up system is up to the task is another issue, of course). It's more accurate to say Disney needs to keep KTTW cards because not everyone wants to wear/carry a MB.

Tom

Beta Return
You're premise is flawed. You needed a KTTW card because you lost your MB is like saying you needed a MB to get into your room because you lost your KTTW card. Losing one has nothing to do with the other. There didn't used to be backups to KTTW cards -- when you lost one, you got a new one, and theoretically same could be done for MB (now whether Disney's screwed up system is up to the task is another issue, of course). It's more accurate to say Disney needs to keep KTTW cards because not everyone wants to wear/carry a MB.

I agree with your point that it's a flawed argument to say KttW cards should be handed out just in case the guests loses their other form of media. However, I'll add that I believe Disney should continue to issue KttW cards because there are still several reported technical difficulties with the MB system. No pool of guests should be penalized with more trips to Guest Relations than another pool, just because Disney is too anxious to roll out their still-beta system. IMO, of course.

JohnD

Original Poster
My point is this: I already had my KTTW card and AP on me. I could still gain access to parks / my room immediately without finding someone to get me a replacement magic band. What if I lost my MB in the wee hours of the morning after EMH? Sure, I could exhaustedly go to the front desk at 2am and beg for another MB or I could go straight to the room with my KTTW card (consider it the room key -- you remember those, don't you?) and get an MB in the morning.

Tom

Beta Return
My point is this: I already had my KTTW card and AP on me. I could still gain access to parks / my room immediately without finding someone to get me a replacement magic band. What if I lost my MB in the wee hours of the morning after EMH? Sure, I could exhaustedly go to the front desk at 2am and beg for another MB or I could go straight to the room with my KTTW card (consider it the room key -- you remember those, don't you?) and get an MB in the morning.

That's no different than if you lost your KttW card, under the "old" system. You didn't have a backup, and would have to go to the front desk to get a new one....or use another family member's. It will be no different with Magic Bands.

JohnD

Original Poster
That's no different than if you lost your KttW card, under the "old" system. You didn't have a backup, and would have to go to the front desk to get a new one....or use another family member's. It will be no different with Magic Bands.

I don't wear cards. They don't slip off my wrist. I keep them in my wallet. Why the insistence on it has to be the MB way or the highway? Again, I'm not against the added convenience. But why is MB all of a sudden the only way to do things?

Let's just all put a chip in our wrists and get rid of all cash, credit cards, and MBs while we're at it. It's no different than all those other methods. Sheesh.

Tom

Beta Return
I don't wear cards. They don't slip off my wrist. I keep them in my wallet. Why the insistence on it has to be the MB way or the highway? Again, I'm not against the added convenience. But why is MB all of a sudden the only way to do things?

Let's just all put a chip in our wrists and get rid of all cash, credit cards, and MBs while we're at it. It's no different than all those other methods. Sheesh.

The thing is, you don't have to wear it on your wrist. I won't be. It can go in a purse/bag, or in a pocket, or snapped onto a belt loop.

JohnD

Original Poster
The thing is, you don't have to wear it on your wrist. I won't be. It can go in a purse/bag, or in a pocket, or snapped onto a belt loop.

Now that I lost my band and had to get a replacement, hindsight is 20-20. You know what else can go in a purse/bag/pocket (although not snapped on a belt loop, I grant you)? That's right. A KTTW card.

jlsHouston

I don't think there is anything wrong with wanting a KttW card in addition to the MB as an added insurance to delays should the band have issues...or get misplaced. Nor is there anything wrong with embracing the MB method for room entry, park entry, payment method. I don't think we should even have to provide a valid reason as to why we would want one or both to Disney for that matter. If I pay for the vacation the kind of money I pay for the vacation and a KttW card is still available at the resort I am residing, then I feel like I should be handed the card. I happen to like my KttW card. I like wearing it on my lanyard, I like swiping it. I may like touching the mickey to the mickey too, but if I want my KttW card I am going to be a bit perturbed if the hotel tells me I can't have one. And I don't think I have to have a rational reason to get what I want if I am the one paying....
And enlighten me if you lose your MB, do you get a free replacement ? And if you do what color is it ?

JohnD

Original Poster
I don't think there is anything wrong with wanting a KttW card in addition to the MB as an added insurance to delays should the band have issues...or get misplaced. Nor is there anything wrong with embracing the MB method for room entry, park entry, payment method. I don't think we should even have to provide a valid reason as to why we would want one or both to Disney for that matter. If I pay for the vacation the kind of money I pay for the vacation and a KttW card is still available at the resort I am residing, then I feel like I should be handed the card. I happen to like my KttW card. I like wearing it on my lanyard, I like swiping it. I may like touching the mickey to the mickey too, but if I want my KttW card I am going to be a bit perturbed if the hotel tells me I can't have one. And I don't think I have to have a rational reason to get what I want if I am the one paying....
And enlighten me if you lose your MB, do you get a free replacement ? And if you do what color is it ?

Yes, you get a free replacement. I received one in AK where I lost my band. But, get this. (Tom, are you listening?) It wouldn't work on the room door. Good thing I still had my KTTW card. (Don't ask me why. I'm only the Guest.) My two options were to get another MB to work with the door but only for that visit ALONG with the new MB for everything else or keep the new MB, while not working with the door for that visit, but would be good for all future visits. I chose that option and continued using the KTTW card this past weekend.

Phonedave

Now that I lost my band and had to get a replacement, hindsight is 20-20. You know what else can go in a purse/bag/pocket (although not snapped on a belt loop, I grant you)? That's right. A KTTW card.

I'll give you the opposite. I don't carry a wallet in WDW. A couple of cards go in my pocket - KTTW, Drivers License, TiW, Credit Card.

I am worried about the cards sliding out of my pocket on some attractions. I never worried about my MB comming off of my wrist.

-dave

JohnD

Original Poster
I'll give you the opposite. I don't carry a wallet in WDW. A couple of cards go in my pocket - KTTW, Drivers License, TiW, Credit Card.

I am worried about the cards sliding out of my pocket on some attractions. I never worried about my MB comming off of my wrist.

-dave

What seems clear is that there should be options. Never thought about the band comb off my wrist until it slipped off.

GrumpyFan

What seems clear is that there should be options. Never thought about the band comb off my wrist until it slipped off.

Maybe this is a dumb question, but is your wrist so small that you can't tighten it any further? Or, did you just leave it real loose intentionally?
I think most people wear them pretty snug on their wrists, kind of like you would a wristwatch, so they wouldn't normally fall off.
I would think that if you wear it this loose it could pose a danger to others if you were riding on a fast ride and it flew off.

JohnD

Original Poster
Maybe this is a dumb question, but is your wrist so small that you can't tighten it any further? Or, did you just leave it real loose intentionally?
I think most people wear them pretty snug on their wrists, kind of like you would a wristwatch, so they wouldn't normally fall off.
I would think that if you wear it this loose it could pose a danger to others if you were riding on a fast ride and it flew off.

Not a dumb question and I don't take offense. I'm left-handed, so I wear a watch on my right hand. Because of that I decided to put the band on my left wrist. I also wear a backback. Upon exiting a ride (Dinosaur in this case), I silde my right arm through the right strap then reach around behind me to slide my left arm through the left strap. My left arm always grazes the left strap when I put on the backback. I thought nothing of it. It was only when I was about to pay for a shirt in the nearby gift shop with the MB that I noticed that I wasn't wearing the MB. I knew immediately, it came off when I put on the backback. I could never find it. I also wanted it somewhat loose and not constricting around my wrist.

Rob562

I think part of the problem of Bands falling off is the closure system. It doesn't have the same closure as a leather watch band where you put one side through a hoop and secure it with a post through a hole. With the Bands you have two posts that just push through holes in the other side. Getting the wrong part of the Band caught on/against something could potentially pull the post end free and have it fall off.

-Rob

JohnD

Original Poster
I think part of the problem of Bands falling off is the closure system. It doesn't have the same closure as a leather watch band where you put one side through a hoop and secure it with a post through a hole. With the Bands you have two posts that just push through holes in the other side. Getting the wrong part of the Band caught on/against something could potentially pull the post end free and have it fall off.
-Rob

Exactly my issue.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom