Magic Band - What would you pay?

Mouse_Trap

Original Poster
So if you don't already have one, how much would you pay to buy someone else used magic band?

I was surprised to see people paying far more than I expected for them, like here - eBay Link
including the basic shipping, that's more than $45.

I had an idea of buying one and decorating it with the minnie band stickers as a small gift for someone who I think would like it, and probably isn't going to be going there in at least the next few years. However I would have been thinking no more than say $5 for a used band. It's not like they are rare, and are hardly no longer being issued!

So my question. How much do you think they are worth?

onesandzeros

Is there a security issue here? The band contains a “link” to my Disney account, which has my credit card info. If I don’t have an active reservation are charges disallowed? Granted a pin number is required for charges, but until I know how to deactivate the Band, think I’ll just hang on to it.

GeekDad

You can deactivate the band through the website I believe. Also.... People will pay dumb amounts of money for just about anything. Empty boxes from new game systems usually go for crazy money too if they are not damaged.

To answer your question though I wouldn't pay anything because they serve no purpose outside of WDW.

Mouse_Trap

Original Poster
You can deactivate the band through the website I believe. Also.... People will pay dumb amounts of money for just about anything. Empty boxes from new game systems usually go for crazy money too if they are not damaged.

To answer your question though I wouldn't pay anything because they serve no purpose outside of WDW.
Funny you should mention that, the was also an empty Magic Bands box listed as well. Think it sold for around $25. So much for a recession eh?

Tom

Beta Return
There is one MB I would buy, but it's not for sale. Special edition version decorated with old school E-Ticket graphics. Very cool.

Otherwise, they're not worth a single penny. And people buying them off ebay are complete suckers.

Tom

Beta Return
Is there a security issue here? The band contains a “link” to my Disney account, which has my credit card info. If I don’t have an active reservation are charges disallowed? Granted a pin number is required for charges, but until I know how to deactivate the Band, think I’ll just hang on to it.

There is a security issue if you were to leave it linked to your MDE account after giving it away or selling it. They wouldn't actually have your CC info, but they would have the rest of your personal contact info and could see/modify/delete your reservations.

They could not charge things to your Magic Band in a park without your PIN number, which is not displayed in your MDE account.

And they could not use it to gain access to the parks unless you have an active reservation, or an AP tied to your MDE account. But even then they would, in theory, need your fingerprint.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
It depends on if I'd have to actually use the system or not. You'd have to pay me to keep one of those wretched things if it forced me to use their ridiculous system.

topher

I saw a few on ebay for $9 + shipping.

If you aren't staying at a Disney Resort you are only given the magic+ card, correct?

So, if we have park tickets and want the band we will have to buy the band separately. Does anyone know how much they are charging for the bands?

lazyboy97o

I saw a few on ebay for $9 + shipping.

If you aren't staying at a Disney Resort you are only given the magic+ card, correct?

So, if we have park tickets and want the band we will have to buy the band separately. Does anyone know how much they are charging for the bands?
MagicBands are not transferable and will not work if you buy a used one. If you really really want one then you could book your first night at a Disney resort.

RonAnnArbor

First, the only thing that is stored in your wristband is an ID code -- it has NO information about your credit card, or anything else stored in it -- only that ID code...and the ID code is useless to someone without your account attached to it.
Second, they deactivate with one click from your My Disney Experience account under "Cards and Wristbands" -- alternately, you can keep all of them active and use any one you want on future trips.
Third, they don't sell because people want a wristband -- they sell because the wristband opens additional levels on many Disney video games -- people will play plenty of money to open those levels. Its not that they have much interest in the band. And those levels open without the band being activated -- it just needs the RFID card with Disney's identification number in it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom